Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: D1 Coaching Changes

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276595

• OLV72
  • Thank you received: 189

Enright wrote: Not to defend Rupp but he was no different than ninety five per cent of the population in the south in their race relations. Legend has it he decided to recruit blacks after seeing David Thompson play in high school. He was really no different than the other SEC football and basketball coaches who brought in the black ball players when they realized they needed them to compete with teams from other parts of the country.
His team of the late forties, considered one of the greatest teams of all times was caught in the 1951 point shaving scandal. The team was so good they formed a pro team upon graduating and made the NBA playoffs their first year. Alex Groza made first team all NBA and Ralph Beard made second team prior to their arrests and ban.
Ralph Beard's defense was that Ky boosters were always putting twenty dollar bills in his hands and the gamblers initially were paying him to win by more than the point spread. It took a while for them to tell him to win by less than the point spread and then he couldn't break away. In the NIT of 1949 the four Ky players in their attempt to win by less than the point spread they blew the game or they probably would have won both the NIT and NCAA that year.

I guess the fictional Atticus Finch fell into the 5%. Talented and powerful men like Rupp had the platform to change peoples lives for the better much earlier.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, Tom in Salem, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276598

• alexander salem
  • Thank you received: 77

OLV72 wrote: Hurley should use them to get a better job elsewhere.

I think this is what's gonna happen. He's doing incredible things at Rhode Island. Unless UConn gets into a better conference, I see him potentially heading to a school like Duke if he can turn the Huskies around.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276599

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1751

alexander salem wrote:

I think this is what's gonna happen. He's doing incredible things at Rhode Island. Unless UConn gets into a better conference, I see him potentially heading to a school like Duke if he can turn the Huskies around.

Or he will be priority #1 for Seton Hall. I think Duke will wait for Greg Marshall as they are the only school in his price range.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, Tom in Salem, Chicago Days

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276602

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1378
Yes, I can definitely see Danny Hurley at Seton Hall. Jersey boy for the Jersey school. Would be very tough challenge for ‘Mo’—but with a decent ‘head start’—our projected trend next couple of years versus SH—hopefully, we’ll be fine as ‘Mo’ earns his coaching ‘Letter’—the beast of a competitor that he is.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276606

• otis
  • Thank you received: 249
IMO Hurley is nuts if he takes the Yukon job.

There is a pending NCAA investigation and Yukon made admission of one or more infractions when terminating Kevin Ollie for cause.

Hurley would seemingly be taking over a team with thin talent that may have reduced scholarships in a non major conference. Unless Yukon will pay him top- top dollar of guaranteed money it does not seem like a win situation for Hurley
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, redken, Chicago Days

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276608

• Mike
  • Thank you received: 79

alexander salem wrote:

I think Duke has other people in line when that comes. I don’t think he would even be consider. Unless you meant Bobby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276609

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1378
Good points. Agree. And pray you’re right, because Hurley would turn it around given a 5-year deal.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 5 days ago #276611

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 1151

Class of 72 wrote:

alexander salem wrote:

Or he will be priority #1 for Seton Hall. I think Duke will wait for Greg Marshall as they are the only school in his price range.

Hard to predict these things, since I once thought the successor would be Brad Stevens if they went outside the tree. But there really aren't many guys who could step into that job, and Marshall is one of them. He's already in his mid-50s, though. If K hangs on another five years, does Duke really hire a 60-year-old?

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 4 days ago #276613

• Room112
  • Thank you received: 254

Mike wrote:

alexander salem wrote:

I think Duke has other people in line when that comes. I don’t think he would even be consider. Unless you meant Bobby.

I often wonder if Steve Wojciechowski at Marquette is someone holding out for the Duke job. Although he hasn't had a on of success just yet, figured he'd use this Marquette job as a springboard and move on sooner rather than later.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 4 days ago #276618

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5574
Per Goodman
Ole Miss is expected to hire Middle Tennessee State coach Kermit Davis, source told ESPN. Official announcement expected later this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul