Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: D1 Coaching Changes

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276446

• Eric Williamson
  • Thank you received: 31

redken wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: ... The great Kentucky basketball dynasty is housed in Rupp Arena. ... Ironically, I find it easy to loathe Kentucky to this day because the greatest coach of white America still has that arena named after him while another man of his time, Cristoforo Colombo, is having his holiday cancelled, his statues vandalized because he didn't coach a basketball team and win 800 games. 

There is just no justice in this world!  Can I get a sneer for such hypocrisy?

As possibly the most popular and influential man in Kentucky in the early and mid-1960s, Rupp could've easily been a ground-breaker for the good. Instead he clung to his racist beliefs for as long as he could ... which meant for as long as he thought he could keeping winning without a black player. So much for Rupp Arena.

Where in the rule book does it say that you have to recruit black players?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276447

• redken
  • Thank you received: 493

Eric Williamson wrote:

redken wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: ... The great Kentucky basketball dynasty is housed in Rupp Arena. ... Ironically, I find it easy to loathe Kentucky to this day because the greatest coach of white America still has that arena named after him while another man of his time, Cristoforo Colombo, is having his holiday cancelled, his statues vandalized because he didn't coach a basketball team and win 800 games. 

As possibly the most popular and influential man in Kentucky in the early and mid-1960s, Rupp could've easily been a ground-breaker for the good. Instead he clung to his racist beliefs for as long as he could ... which meant for as long as he thought he could keeping winning without a black player. So much for Rupp Arena.

Where does it say you can't? Oh ... I'm confusing the rule book with Rupp's personal rule book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, Class of 72, Tom in Salem

Last edit: by redken.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276452

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1751

Eric Williamson wrote:

redken wrote:

Funny how times have changed. Kentucky and their fellow SEC schools now recruit mostly black players. As far as the rule book, there was an unwritten rule back then which lasted until the end of the sixties, that you not only didn't recruit black players but you didn't admit them into you schools.
The changes only came about by the force of Federal law and not because the great Adolf Rupp miraculously found a conscience. Of, course winning games was the primary motive in basketball but until 1970, my sophomore year at St. John's, Adolph Rupp, the most influential person in the state of Kentucky, did squat shit when it came to equal rights and I am sure that he could have cared less about the 14th Amendment.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, redken, Tom in Salem, Chicago Days

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276478

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5574
Per Goodman
Pepperdine announces Lorenzo Romar as new coach. Former Washington head coach, now assistant at Arizona.

Nice view :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: kranmars, L J S A

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276479

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 1151

Paultzman wrote: Per Goodman
Pepperdine announces Lorenzo Romar as new coach. Former Washington head coach, now assistant at Arizona.

Nice view :)

Thought I remembered him being there before, and Google confirmed it. It was his first head coaching gig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Tom in Salem

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276483

• Paultzman
Per Goodman
Cal State Northridge expected to hire Mark Gottfried, sources told ESPN. No athletic director, but president was principal player in decision.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276484

• Paultzman
Per Dinos Trigonos a character & Lav guy;

Now that Rodney Terry is headed to UTEP, great candidates for the Fresno State job would be assistants Tony Stubblefield/Oregon, David Grace/UCLA, Justin Hutson/San Diego State, Dave Rice/Washington, Jason Hart/USC, Stevie Thompson/Oregon State and guys like Steve Lavin & Seth Greenberg

Last edit: by Paultzman.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276487

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 1663

Paultzman wrote: Per Dinos Trigonos a character & Lav guy;

Now that Rodney Terry is headed to UTEP, great candidates for the Fresno State job would be assistants Tony Stubblefield/Oregon, David Grace/UCLA, Justin Hutson/San Diego State, Dave Rice/Washington, Jason Hart/USC, Stevie Thompson/Oregon State and guys like Steve Lavin & Seth Greenberg

Lavin and Greenberg. Lawmanfan just puked and had an orgasm at the same time

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276488

• Paultzman

mjmaherjr wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Per Dinos Trigonos a character & Lav guy;

Lavin and Greenberg. Lawmanfan just puked and had an orgasm at the same time

LM is clearly a versatile guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 6 days ago #276496

• fun
  • Thank you received: 134

redken wrote: As possibly the most popular and influential man in Kentucky in the early and mid-1960s, Rupp could've easily been a ground-breaker for the good. Instead he clung to his racist beliefs for as long as he could

I agree. I would not describe Rupp - who according to the venerable Frank Deford was "a virulent racist" who "hated black people" - as a "good person" who "did immeasurable service to the community." On the contrary - and you'd think you wouldn't have to say this is the 21st century but evidently you do to certain ignorant St John's fans - racists are bad people who do immeasurable harm to the community. And in fact Rupp only recruited African American athletes because UK president John Oswald ordered him to. In Rupp's words, according to his long time assistant coach Harry Lancaster: "that son of a bitch is ordering me to get some n*gg*rs in here. What am I going to do ? He's the boss."

When several of Rupp's players were implicated in a point shaving scandal - the scandal that eventually led to the assassination of Jack Molinas by the mafia in Las Vegas - Rupp was described by the presiding judge as having failed "in his duty to observe the amateur rules, to build character, and to protect the morals and health of his charges". Again I agree: Rupp was not a "good person" who "did immeasurable service to the community." And quite the opposite.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, Chicago Days

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul