Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: D1 Coaching Changes

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276229

• fun
  • Thank you received: 134

Chicago Days wrote: irascible old former coach (JC), sleazy under-handled charlatans..

Jim Calhoun's father died when he was fifteen. A three sport star in HS he quit to take care of his mother and half a dozen siblings, working among other things as a garbage man and a grave digger. He went back to school as a scholarship athlete and earned a degree and went on to become the greatest basketball coach of his generation; he won three national championships, sent thirty plus players to the league: he has pieces of that fraud Mike Schrewshrenski in his stool. He's raised literally tens and maybe hundreds of millions of dollars for charity, he's been married to the same woman for 50 years, is a Catholic in good standing and has done all of that while being afflicted with innumerable health problems: he's at this point more tumor than healthy tissue. You want to talk shit about UConn, fine. You are not worthy to talk shit about Jim Calhoun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrookJersey Redmen, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276270

• L J S A
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1151
I take it back that Pitt should go after Pitino . . . because UConn definitely should.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276273

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1378
Ease off. Didn’t ‘talk shit’ about Calhoun. Called him an irascible old coach which he was...and a great one. Nothing against him personally at all. I apologize if you took offense.

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276274

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 206

Las Vegan wrote: I'm certain the President, AD and past and present staff at UConn are shocked, just shocked, to learn of the tampering, payoffs, illegal contacts, etc., connected with their basketball team. What a nest of vipers. In addition to Wiggins and Wilson, they purloined Nadov Henifeld (sp), the post player, from Israel, that was thought to be headed to SJU.

Not sure you can call it poaching as Henefield (who was more of a wing than a post player) never committed to us.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276275

• SJU85

Las Vegan wrote: I'm certain the President, AD and past and present staff at UConn are shocked, just shocked, to learn of the tampering, payoffs, illegal contacts, etc., connected with their basketball team. What a nest of vipers. In addition to Wiggins and Wilson, they purloined Nadov Henifeld (sp), the post player, from Israel, that was thought to be headed to SJU.

Not sure you can call it poaching as Henefield (who was more of a wing than a post player) never committed to us.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276276

• redmannorth
  • Thank you received: 558

SJU85 wrote:

May not have signed with us but the league refused to let him go to SJU but somehow then let him go to CONNU. Go figure , but we got screwed badly. His signing with CONNU was simultaneous with the start of our decline and the rise of CONN. Not a star but he was a damn good all around player.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276278

• SJU85

redmannorth wrote:

SJU85 wrote:

May not have signed with us but the league refused to let him go to SJU but somehow then let him go to CONNU. Go figure , but we got screwed badly. His signing with CONNU was simultaneous with the start of our decline and the rise of CONN. Not a star but he was a damn good all around player.

The League? Never heard the BE not allowing a player go somewhere before or them having a say outside of the transfer rule they inacted.

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276280

• capmaker
  • Thank you received: 60
www.courant.com/sports/uconn-mens-basket...-20141225-story.html

www.nytimes.com/1990/01/02/sports/from-l...tarting-forward.html

articles.chicagotribune.com/1990-03-18/s...college-lior-arditti

Understandably, then, Henefeld received little response when he wrote several letters to U.S. colleges last year, but St. John`s coach Lou Carnesecca purchased a ticket for him to fly in for a visit in April.

``He liked the players and the coaches,`` said Portland Trail Blazers scout Marv Kessler, with whom Henefeld has become friendly. ``But he said he didn`t want to go to St. John`s because it was like the army, because there are no dorms. He had to have dorms. He wanted to mingle and learn the culture.``

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276288

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1751

Chicago Days wrote: Ease off. Didn’t ‘talk shit’ about Calhoun. Called him an irascible old coach which he was...and a great one. Nothing against him personally at all. I apologize if you took offense.

First of all, you didn't need to apologize because you offended no one. While coach Calhoun was a great coach and deserves all the non basketball related accolades he was a sneaky sob in the recruitment of players. He employed a cadre of middlemen to influence recruits starting when UCONN was a shit destination for high level talent. You didn't end up in Storrs if you were a nationally ranked player in his early years without major incentives. He was expert at covering his tracks and double talk. He once stated "I don’t cheat". He should have said "I don't get caught". Met him once in Storrs and immediately disliked him. The women's coach, Geno Auriemma, accomplished just as much, if not more, without the incentives of the men's team received. Yes, he is a smooth talker with a hard edge but nowhere in America has a women's basketball program been as important as the men's team.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: RM86, SJU85, redken, Chicago Days

D1 Coaching Changes 7 months 1 week ago #276290

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1378

Class of 72 wrote:

Chicago Days wrote: Ease off. Didn’t ‘talk shit’ about Calhoun. Called him an irascible old coach which he was...and a great one. Nothing against him personally at all. I apologize if you took offense.

First of all, you didn't need to apologize because you offended no one. While coach Calhoun was a great coach and deserves all the non basketball related accolades he was a sneaky sob in the recruitment of players. He employed a cadre of middlemen to influence recruits starting when UCONN was a shit destination for high level talent. You didn't end up in Storrs if you were a nationally ranked player in his early years without major incentives. He was expert at covering his tracks and double talk. He once stated "I don’t cheat". He should have said "I don't get caught". Met him once in Storrs and immediately disliked him. The women's coach, Geno Auriemma, accomplished just as much, if not more, without the incentives of the men's team received. Yes, he is a smooth talker with a hard edge but nowhere in America has a women's basketball program been as important as the men's team.

Great background. Thanks ‘72. All I know, is that from a St. John’s guy’s perspective, Calhoun was tough to take. He wasn’t a cuddily ‘opponent’ coach, like Louie or Rollie, or even Boeheim—who while bleeding Orange (still), was ‘human’ and ‘respected’ Louie and the We Are St. John’s’ tradition.
Jim Calhoun didn’t. He sneered at his opponents and—like Lombardi—created a phenomenon.
He created an era of Big East hoops that UCONN dominated.
His players and the fans embodied that ‘defiance’.
I didn’t like that. I’m with Louie. Beat your opponent, but don’t stomp over the corpse.
So, I think of Calhoun as irascible and I called him that.
I wanted to also say to fan: “When you become the Pope, you can nominate Jim Calhoun for Sainthood. Until then, I’ll call him ‘irascible’.
But I desire peace—not war.
Let’s go Johnnies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61

Last edit: by Chicago Days.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul