Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NIT Bracketology - St John's In

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274603

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 1994
if by chance we didnt make NIT would you guys want to go to the one of those other smaller tournaments ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274604

• firestorm
  • Thank you received: 70
I'm still believing the NIT is in reach, but I'd take the low-level options just to a) keep the season alive and b) give the kids a small taste of post-season action. It could help when bigger, better tournaments come our way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274605

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 1288

Adam wrote:

L J S A wrote: Trying to calculate all the ways an unworthy team can unrealistically get into the NIT is feeling very Norm era-like. I was guilty of it then, trying not to do it now.

I don't want to kill anyone's dreams, but I'm 99.9 percent certain that we need to win BET if we want to see the team play after the Providence game.

What? You think there's no chance we can make the NIT? I'm 99.9% sure you're wrong.

Never understand why people just look at the record and nothing else, but in this case our record could be 18-15 (DI) if we lost in the BE finals and beat Providence. Our RPI currently is #80 and typically teams with that RPI make it into the NIT. KenPom is #73. SOS is #6. All the metrics are positive.

If we won against Providence and then 3 more teams we'd be a LOTTTT closer to the NCAA bubble than the NIT bubble.

Don't see any logic behind why we shouldn't make the NIT with another couple wins. One win I think could do it, actually.

Right now our record is 14-15 for postseason purposes. And how many days in a row would we have to play with a thin roster?

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274606

• Adam
  • Thank you received: 215

Class of 72 wrote:

Adam wrote:

L J S A wrote: Trying to calculate all the ways an unworthy team can unrealistically get into the NIT is feeling very Norm era-like. I was guilty of it then, trying not to do it now.

I don't want to kill anyone's dreams, but I'm 99.9 percent certain that we need to win BET if we want to see the team play after the Providence game.

What? You think there's no chance we can make the NIT? I'm 99.9% sure you're wrong.

Never understand why people just look at the record and nothing else, but in this case our record could be 18-15 (DI) if we lost in the BE finals and beat Providence. Our RPI currently is #80 and typically teams with that RPI make it into the NIT. KenPom is #73. SOS is #6. All the metrics are positive.

If we won against Providence and then 3 more teams we'd be a LOTTTT closer to the NCAA bubble than the NIT bubble.

Don't see any logic behind why we shouldn't make the NIT with another couple wins. One win I think could do it, actually.

Would need 2 more wins for the NIT for 17-16 record but with Ponds injury and the possibility he may not be 100 % make that goal more difficult but not impossible.

I agree it'll be difficult, but yeah 2 wins should do it. 4 wins is less likely but that'd be a guaranteed NIT bid.

I think 1 win puts us on the bubble but I wouldn't be too confident getting in.

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274607

• Adam

L J S A wrote:

Adam wrote:

Right now our record is 14-15 for postseason purposes. And how many days in a row would we have to play with a thin roster?

I know our record is that, which is why my post only referenced D1 wins. I'm not counting on winning 4 in a row of course. I was just arguing against your statement that we'd need to win the BET to keep playing. 2 more wins and we keep playing.

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274609

• L J S A

Adam wrote: I know our record is that, which is why my post only referenced D1 wins. I'm not counting on winning 4 in a row of course. I was just arguing against your statement that we'd need to win the BET to keep playing. 2 more wins and we keep playing.

We're not playing in the NIT if we only get two more wins. 2-1 over next three would make us 16-16 against D-1 teams. We aren't getting in NIT with .500 record.

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274610

• mjmaherjr
if somehow we run off 3 more wins and one of them is against Xavier is there another potential NIT team with 3 top 5 wins ?

I'm too lazy to look for myself

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274611

• Adam

L J S A wrote:

Adam wrote: I know our record is that, which is why my post only referenced D1 wins. I'm not counting on winning 4 in a row of course. I was just arguing against your statement that we'd need to win the BET to keep playing. 2 more wins and we keep playing.

We're not playing in the NIT if we only get two more wins. 2-1 over next three would make us 16-16 against D-1 teams. We aren't getting in NIT with .500 record.

Disagree. You're only looking at record while all the other metrics would be in our favor. Committee cares more about RPI/advanced metrics than record.

But again, your argument was 4 wins wouldn't get us in, which it would.

1 gives us a chance
2 should be a solid chance (IMO right side of the bubble)
3 we're in
4 is a strong lock

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274612

• L J S A

mjmaherjr wrote: if somehow we run off 3 more wins and one of them is against Xavier is there another potential NIT team with 3 top 5 wins ?

I seriously doubt it.

NIT Bracketology - St John's In 9 months 1 week ago #274613

• mjmaherjr

L J S A wrote:

mjmaherjr wrote: if somehow we run off 3 more wins and one of them is against Xavier is there another potential NIT team with 3 top 5 wins ?

I seriously doubt it.

Like you mentioned before and just for the future because maybe it doesn't even matter this year but playing D2 schools needs to be banned. Just play a low D1 then
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, gonzalo, L J S A

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:Lurkers!

Login and See less ads - AUTOMATICALLY

the redmen.com audience is over 99% LURKERS. People that read the site but don't login or participate.

Logged in members automatically have less advertisements appear when viewing redmen.com. It seems only fair if you are taking advantage of the site but not contributing, you're gonna see more ads to help keep the site going, right?

If you are an existing member but have not logged in for a while and don't remember your login information, use the links below. It is important that you keep your email address current for this to work and if you no longer have access to your old email address, (or to report other problems) please contact me directly via handy "Contact" icon on the bottom right of the site. You can private message me on the site if you are logged in, but still need help.

If you signup as a new user, you will initially be limited to posting in the Rookie Forum. This is a get-to-know-you measure and a way to weed out spam and other malicious and inappropriate content.

If you want to see less ads, SIGNUP and LOGIN TODAY.

If you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul