Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2017-18 Transfers

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287198

• otis
  • Thank you received: 251

RedStormNC wrote: I know there are a number of SJU law grads here...

how much could litigation costs be with hiring this high profile NCAA lawyer?

I'd have to think there's a limit to what school can realistically justify in spending to outsource, vs. attempt to keep in house as a university w/ law school and many law grads.

1. You do not want to litigate this matter. Glazier has been a fixture in and out of the NCAA network for the past several decades. He knows the Investigators and NCAA attorneys by name. He may have hired on or more of them when he was employed by the NCAA. He is better able to make things happen behind the scene (see: UNC) than anyone else I am aware of.
* "Mike Glazier, an attorney representing Michigan State, filed a response to NCAA’s investigation..."
Mike Glazier, an attorney representing Michigan State, filed a response to NCAA’s investigation
* "Ole Miss will be represented by renowned collegiate sports attorney Mike Glazier"
247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/O...ing-Monday-107106046
* Glazier, credited with creating legal market representing colleges before NCAA
www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/sports/ncaabasketball/04ncaa.html
*Glazier representing UTennessee
www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2011-07...arl%E2%80%99s-firing

2. There is no limit to what a school can pay for legal representation to work with the NCAA to advance its position. There is however a substantial cost to have someone/ group with little or no experience represent St. John's in seeking Mr. Heron's eligibility.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Class of 72, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287200

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 5657
Mustapha as a youngster valuing D

The tweet ID given is invalid
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, Chicago Days

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287209

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1792

otis wrote:

RedStormNC wrote: I know there are a number of SJU law grads here...

how much could litigation costs be with hiring this high profile NCAA lawyer?

I'd have to think there's a limit to what school can realistically justify in spending to outsource, vs. attempt to keep in house as a university w/ law school and many law grads.

1. You do not want to litigate this matter. Glazier has been a fixture in and out of the NCAA network for the past several decades. He knows the Investigators and NCAA attorneys by name. He may have hired on or more of them when he was employed by the NCAA. He is better able to make things happen behind the scene (see: UNC) than anyone else I am aware of.
* "Mike Glazier, an attorney representing Michigan State, filed a response to NCAA’s investigation..."
Mike Glazier, an attorney representing Michigan State, filed a response to NCAA’s investigation
* "Ole Miss will be represented by renowned collegiate sports attorney Mike Glazier"
247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/O...ing-Monday-107106046
* Glazier, credited with creating legal market representing colleges before NCAA
www.nytimes.com/2007/03/04/sports/ncaabasketball/04ncaa.html
*Glazier representing UTennessee
www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2011-07...arl%E2%80%99s-firing

2. There is no limit to what a school can pay for legal representation to work with the NCAA to advance its position. There is however a substantial cost to have someone/ group with little or no experience represent St. John's in seeking Mr. Heron's eligibility.

On this one thing I completely agree with you!
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287210

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 376
I realize there's technically no limit and definitely don't want to bring a knife to a gun battle...

my question was more along the lines of what can SJU realistically afford in attorney fees to fight this, if supposedly school is in financial challenge ?

$50K, 100K ...more ?

I'm sure they want Heron and willing to hire attorney, just not sure to what degree..

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287211

• RedStormRising2
  • Thank you received: 115

Chicago Days wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Per Bret McMurphy, interesting;

SEC grad transfers no longer must sit out a year when transferring to another league school, SEC presidents voted today. Previously, SEC required grad transfers to sit out a year when transferring to another SEC school

Don't some conferences--in fact, doesn't the BEC block players from transferring within the conference?

This was a football move. Saban is gonna be mad. (most other coaches where supporting waivers to let their grad transfers go anywhere without having to sit).

www.espn.com/college-football/

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287233

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 5657
Evan Daniels
Toledo transfer Justin Roberts is headed to Niagara, per a source. Roberts is the son of Kansas assistant Norm Roberts.

Chris Casey connection
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287234

• redken
  • Thank you received: 494

SJU11Redmen wrote: Didn't we hire some high-profile lawyer to help with getting Orlando Sanchez eligible a few years ago?

Was this the guy? Has a reputation as a fixer.
www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F...UwBQ&iact=mrc&uact=8
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, RedStormNC

Last edit: by redken.

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287243

• OhioFan
  • Thank you received: 90

Paultzman wrote: Evan Daniels
Toledo transfer Justin Roberts is headed to Niagara, per a source. Roberts is the son of Kansas assistant Norm Roberts.

Chris Casey connection

I hope the kid can play better than the father could coach.
14What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?15If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287245

• redken
  • Thank you received: 494

OhioFan wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Evan Daniels

Chris Casey connection

I hope the kid can play better than the father could coach.

And I hope he's as classy as his father is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo, fuchsia, Tom in Salem, fan5577, Amaseinyourface

2017-18 Transfers 4 months 3 weeks ago #287264

• otis
  • Thank you received: 251

RedStormNC wrote: I realize there's technically no limit and definitely don't want to bring a knife to a gun battle...

my question was more along the lines of what can SJU realistically afford in attorney fees to fight this, if supposedly school is in financial challenge ?

$50K, 100K ...more ?

I'm sure they want Heron and willing to hire attorney, just not sure to what degree..

——————————
RedstornNC

I am not sure anyone can predict what experienced legal represention will cost to prosecute this request for an medical eligibility waiver because no one likely knows how long the proceeding will take.

If Mr. Heron’s application is promptly accepted then the legal fees would be far- far less than if there is a hearing with adjournments and appeals after a negative determination. For the more drawn out version the legal fees could easily top six figures.

St. John’s must ask itself if wants to be a “prime time paogram” of a secondary program. If the St. John’s Administration wants to play with the bigs then it should hire one of the handful of attorneys with substantial experience in dealing with the NCAA to prosecute Mr. Heron’s request for the medical hardship waiver.

If St. John’s is willing to settle as a secondary program then it will hire an attorney who reads the NCAA procedures manual for the first time and give the appeal a whirl.

As the old saying goes, “a good attorney knows the law, but a better attorney knows the law and the Judge”. In this instance the judge and Jury is the NCAA .

The issue will go a long way in defining St.John’s commitment to its athletic program and it athlete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, RedStormNC

Last edit: by otis.
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul