Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432254

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 5423
Mathis was averaging 15.3 ppg when he was benched, and obviously did not respond well to being benched.

Anyone who can average 15 ppg playing for a big ten team that made the dance can be a big asset.

CMA's staff aim to recruit character and talent that is a fit.

He needs a change of scenery for sure,  and has a lot to prove.  My guess is that he will be a big upgrade and will work out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zeeman, JackofVirginia, bamafan, Mean Gene, Eric

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432260

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 2766

Beast of the East post=432254 wrote: Mathis was averaging 15.3 ppg when he was benched, and obviously did not respond well to being benched.

Anyone who can average 15 ppg playing for a big ten team that made the dance can be a big asset.

He needs a change of scenery for sure,  and has a lot to prove.  My guess is that he will be a big upgrade and will work out.

Wouldn’t it seem a bit strange then to bench a guy averaging 15 pts on a top 15 team?
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432262

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 1748

MainMan post=432250 wrote: Hey, we went to the Final Four with Willie Glass as a starter so....

True, but that was back when we had to nail a peach basket to a tree to play.  Not sure it counts anymore... 

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432264

• redmanwest
  • Thank you received: 833
Willie Glass was a terrific player.  Maybe wasn’t a great shooter but was a great abs athletic defender and could score at the hoop.  
The following user(s) said Thank You: billthetruth, SJUNC, jackfro

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432265

• Beast of the East

Amaseinyourface post=432260 wrote:

Beast of the East post=432254 wrote: Mathis was averaging 15.3 ppg when he was benched, and obviously did not respond well to being benched.

Wouldn’t it seem a bit strange then to bench a guy averaging 15 pts on a top 15 team?

I'm going to guess that perhaps offensively he was trying to do too much, or playing for himself, or it could have been his defense.   Obviously you don't bench a 15 ppg scorer unless there's a problem somewhere.    I'm not suggesting it was unwarranted, but am saying he was good enough to start on an NCAA bound team in the Big Ten.   If CMA could produce value out of Caraher, Earlington, Dunn, Rutherford, etc, the odds are very good that Mathis will produce here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billthetruth, Mean Gene, Amaseinyourface, JohnnyFan, Fred Solomon

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432266

• Amaseinyourface

Beast of the East post=432265 wrote:

I'm going to guess that perhaps offensively he was trying to do too much, or playing for himself, or it could have been his defense.   Obviously you don't bench a 15 ppg scorer unless there's a problem somewhere.    I'm not suggesting it was unwarranted, but am saying he was good enough to start on an NCAA bound team in the Big Ten.   If CMA could produce value out of Caraher, Earlington, Dunn, Rutherford, etc, the odds are very good that Mathis will produce here.

All that could be true and like you said, we’re guessing here. My guess is Williams is the better player of the two. Doesn’t mean I’m not happy we got Mathis, one of them wanted to be here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, jackfro, JohnnyFan

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432267

• Fred Solomon
  • Thank you received: 85
When a coaching staff looks to recruit players they analyze their assets and liabilities and make an educated judgement as to whether they can elicit improvement from that player. This is not a mechanical process it’s an analytical process. You don’t just pick up a player and settle for what you see! It’s college not the pros and coaches by definition are there to teach and coach! 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, Mean Gene, Amaseinyourface

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432268

• Amaseinyourface

Fred Solomon post=432267 wrote: When a coaching staff looks to recruit players they analyze their assets and liabilities and make an educated judgement as to whether they can elicit improvement from that player. This is not a mechanical process it’s an analytical process. You don’t just pick up a player and settle for what you see! It’s college not the pros and coaches by definition are there to teach and coach! 

100%. And we’re here to talk about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, IDRAFT

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432269

• Beast of the East

Amaseinyourface post=432266 wrote:

All that could be true and like you said, we’re guessing here. My guess is Williams is the better player of the two. Doesn’t mean I’m not happy we got Mathis, one of them wanted to be here.

Williams has shown flashes and short stretches of what he is capable of, which is impressive, but has yet to put it together on a meaningful team for an entire season.   I have my doubts that he can be anything more than an important contributor off the bench for a very good team (which we weren't this season)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackfro, Amaseinyourface

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

Montez Mathis, G, Rutgers transfer (SJU Commit) 5 months 1 week ago #432272

• Amaseinyourface

Beast of the East post=432269 wrote:

Amaseinyourface post=432266 wrote:

Williams has shown flashes and short stretches of what he is capable of, which is impressive, but has yet to put it together on a meaningful team for an entire season.   I have my doubts that he can be anything more than an important contributor off the bench for a very good team (which we weren't this season)

Completely fair, I have those same doubts about Mathis.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight