Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399676

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1465

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: Mike Zaun wrote: After losing Kep, this kid is a must get if we want to be taken seriously. Imagine a real 7 footer with some offensive ability to go along with Posh, Cole, Champ, etc.

So unless we get this kid, who played 5 mpg for Ole Miss as a frosh and who committed more fouls than he scored points, we won't be taken seriously???
Sorry, can't take your posts seriously. Staff will decide whether he makes sense and I trust them.

I think he is a must get because we are always so starved for true bigs. He has true size. Look at the teams who do well nationally...they have a real big and usually more than 1. We saw the impact Tariq had at 6'11...although way too thin, he had some offensive ability, blocking ability, and when he wasn't blocking shots he was altering them. Not sure we will be a regular NCAA team until we routinely get these types of bigs.

Last four National Champs...nobody 6'11 or taller averaging 9pp or more.
I think that the difference between 6'8-6'10 vs 6'11+ is way overrated by some on this board.
With the style of game we play, I'd rather have a Tariq Owens over a Marshall Plumlee

Maybe so...though that's a tiny sample size IMO. We also are not winning a championship...we are not close to that level. My standard was doing well nationally which can be measured via top 25 I'd say. Think of the great Cuse and UConn teams and they always had real bigs...even Nova had Omari Spellman (6'8 but 250 lbs) and Ochefu (6'11 and strong). Xavier had Stainbrook and Hankins...Creighton with Patton, Seton Hall with several 7 footers. And so on...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399682

• P1NSTR1PEZ
  • Thank you received: 65
The issue isn't necessarily height - it's size. We haven't had a banger we can rely on for rebounds and offensive boards

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399684

• MainMan
  • Thank you received: 641
So a skinny, long, lightly-used center transferring from an SEC school?

We've had Owens and we've had Keita.

If Curry splits the difference in production from those two, sure why not take him?

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399720

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 3457

MainMan wrote: So a skinny, long, lightly-used center transferring from an SEC school?

If Curry splits the difference in production from those two, sure why not take him?

It actually took me about 90 seconds to figure out who Keita was. I had completely forgotten about him, and it's only been a few years. Hopefully that's more a reflection of him and not old age.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399724

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 1437

Mike Zaun wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: Mike Zaun wrote: After losing Kep, this kid is a must get if we want to be taken seriously. Imagine a real 7 footer with some offensive ability to go along with Posh, Cole, Champ, etc.

So unless we get this kid, who played 5 mpg for Ole Miss as a frosh and who committed more fouls than he scored points, we won't be taken seriously???
Sorry, can't take your posts seriously. Staff will decide whether he makes sense and I trust them.

I think he is a must get because we are always so starved for true bigs. He has true size. Look at the teams who do well nationally...they have a real big and usually more than 1. We saw the impact Tariq had at 6'11...although way too thin, he had some offensive ability, blocking ability, and when he wasn't blocking shots he was altering them. Not sure we will be a regular NCAA team until we routinely get these types of bigs.

Last four National Champs...nobody 6'11 or taller averaging 9pp or more.
I think that the difference between 6'8-6'10 vs 6'11+ is way overrated by some on this board.
With the style of game we play, I'd rather have a Tariq Owens over a Marshall Plumlee

Maybe so...though that's a tiny sample size IMO. We also are not winning a championship...we are not close to that level. My standard was doing well nationally which can be measured via top 25 I'd say. Think of the great Cuse and UConn teams and they always had real bigs...even Nova had Omari Spellman (6'8 but 250 lbs) and Ochefu (6'11 and strong). Xavier had Stainbrook and Hankins...Creighton with Patton, Seton Hall with several 7 footers. And so on...

Point is, you don't need 7 footers to be an elite program.
You do need guys that can play inside, rebound and be physical. Those guys come in all shapes and sizes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, JackofVirginia, RedStormRising, panther2, SigEpSJU09

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399725

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 1437

MainMan wrote: So a skinny, long, lightly-used center transferring from an SEC school?

I'd rather have 6'9/6'10 kid like Amzil who can stretch the court. If he has the right attitude, you can teach him to play defense and rebound better.

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399726

• JohnnyFan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3005

SJUFAN2 wrote:

I'd rather have 6'9/6'10 kid like Amzil who can stretch the court. If he has the right attitude, you can teach him to play defense and rebound better.

A Tyrique Jones type......6'9", 240lbs. with muscles on his muscles.

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399727

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 5084
Imagine the potential indian food sales at Carnesseca
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399729

• JohnnyFan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3005

mjmaherjr wrote: Imagine the potential indian food sales at Carnesseca

Yeah....program could then curry favor with a whole new demographic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, panther2, RedStormNC

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Carlos Curry, NW Mississippi CC, Center 1 month 1 week ago #399731

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 4459

mjmaherjr wrote: Imagine the potential indian food sales at Carnesseca

:whistle:

Last edit: by Moose.
Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight