Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC (SJU Commit)

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359082

• redmannorth
  • Thank you received: 2957

MJDinkins wrote:

guinness77 wrote: I haven’t posted anything in ages and, unlike some of you, I’ll restrain judgment until I actually see a guy play, but reading some of these comments, I want what you’re drinking or smoking...what fantasy land do we live in where we’re the type of program 4 and 5 star recruits throw themselves at us?

We've never been a major magnet for 5-star recruits, but we've always been able to land 4-star personnel. The only time I can recall (in my 35 years as a fan of the basketball program) having trouble landing 4-star recruits was during Norm's tenure at St. John's. Every, single staff during my time watching the program has been able to land 4-star kids. Every. Single. One.

With that said, it's still extremely, early in Anderson's tenure. Very early! Actually, you could say this should be the time to strike on top 50 types, as it's the honeymoon period. Many times, a staff can bring in those types during the early stages when things seem rosy. I'll give most coaches a chance till they don't deserve one. Anderson will get his opportunity, as he deserves it and his prior history speaks for itself.

I, as a few others, see a team where there seem to be a bit too many reaches for my taste. There'll likely be turnover from one season to the next, and maybe that is where we pounce on more, highly-rated kids.

IMO, the top 40--or, perhaps, top 50--to 200 should where we pluck or attempt to pluck our talent. An occasional 5-star kid will suffice, as I don't expect it to be the norm by any means. Top 70 or lower should easily be in our wheelhouse.

In our case, I think we should build the majority of our team with 4-star recruits (the occasional 5-star as mentioned above); sprinkle in a handful of 3 and 2-star kids with loads of potential or who may have been overlooked; solid and viable collegiate transfers; and high-level JUCO players.

I think that's an acceptable and feasible approach.

Acceptable, feasible and Exceptionally reasonable approach. This is a post that should be read over a few times in order to let it sink in properly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, MJDinkins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359085

• SJU1512
  • Thank you received: 589
Certainly think it's fair to not implicitly trust a new staff just because the approach is new. This fan base has been burned by that before more than once and wanting to see translation to consistent results clearly reasonable.

At the same time essentially that very same reason is a good basis for a wildly inconsistent program to give a consistent winner's approach a patient opportunity.

The impression I get from Anderson in general is that he's done this before (twice), knows how to do it again, and SJU has been making "this" entirely too complicated for entirely too long and there is not a defensible rationale for it to continue. If so great because that's largely how I feel.

My interpretation of this recruiting class is that Anderson knows this is a true rebuild, and rebuilds that have a strong foundation and are sustainable take time. A series of singles now potentially better than hoping for doubles later and racking up a bunch of strikeouts. Perhaps not in terms of upside for 20-21 season in a vacuum, but incremental build of program.

Speculating with this but my guess/hope is Anderson and staff are tailoring an approach relative to the program's current reality, this isn't their forever gameplan, and they'll continue to refine it as the program (hopefully) improves. Which would make sense as quality recruiting is usually flexible and responsive to facts and circumstances.

We know first hand that flashy name and ranking chasing makes for more interesting off-season fodder but can be empty in terms of building program with any sort of consistency. This staff seems to have a more conservative strategy initially, not necessarily a bad thing because often better to execute well on something reasonable than set goals difficult to attain/sustain. Refreshing in a way from my perspective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, MJDinkins, JackofVirginia, IDRAFT, RedStormRising, Class of 72, panther2, Fred Solomon, NCJohnnie

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359089

• SJU1512
  • Thank you received: 589

MJDinkins wrote:

guinness77 wrote: I haven’t posted anything in ages and, unlike some of you, I’ll restrain judgment until I actually see a guy play, but reading some of these comments, I want what you’re drinking or smoking...what fantasy land do we live in where we’re the type of program 4 and 5 star recruits throw themselves at us?

We've never been a major magnet for 5-star recruits, but we've always been able to land 4-star personnel. The only time I can recall (in my 35 years as a fan of the basketball program) having trouble landing 4-star recruits was during Norm's tenure at St. John's. Every, single staff during my time watching the program has been able to land 4-star kids. Every. Single. One.

With that said, it's still extremely, early in Anderson's tenure. Very early! Actually, you could say this should be the time to strike on top 50 types, as it's the honeymoon period. Many times, a staff can bring in those types during the early stages when things seem rosy. I'll give most coaches a chance till they don't deserve one. Anderson will get his opportunity, as he deserves it and his prior history speaks for itself.

I, as a few others, see a team where there seem to be a bit too many reaches for my taste. There'll likely be turnover from one season to the next, and maybe that is where we pounce on more, highly-rated kids.

IMO, the top 40--or, perhaps, top 50--to 200 should where we pluck or attempt to pluck our talent. An occasional 5-star kid will suffice, as I don't expect it to be the norm by any means. Top 70 or lower should easily be in our wheelhouse.

In our case, I think we should build the majority of our team with 4-star recruits (the occasional 5-star as mentioned above); sprinkle in a handful of 3 and 2-star kids with loads of potential or who may have been overlooked; solid and viable collegiate transfers; and high-level JUCO players.

Well said and agree 100% on the level this program needs to recruit at to win consistently. My hope is Anderson knows it might take a year or 2 to credibly get to that level, and in the interim wants to keep driving program forward with upside guys, who fit his system, etc. who while they might not be prime candidates 18 months from now can help right now. Particularly next year, as a down year next year on the court could be a significant setback, and if it's without LJ in addition to Heron that's quite a lot of ground to make up only a few months on this job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, MJDinkins, Andrew, Fred Solomon

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359090

• guinness77
  • Thank you received: 306

MJDinkins wrote:

I never said we COULDNT get them. My point was that there’s a bunch of people who post on this site who need to temper their expectations. I’m sick of reading in every thread “ERMAGAWD, how come we miss out??!!11” The man has been our coach for 12 minutes, he’s taking over (in the eyes of many, not us) a subpar program. We need time to build stability and, yes, a win in the Tournament. We need one of those.

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359092

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 874
It’s not even Oct. yet , I would have liked to see CMA try to get some higher ranked recruits. When he first was hired he had no time to fill the roster, but the 20 class is a different story. Of course we will see how they do on the court and will be able to make a better evaluation. But I agree w Dinkins ,we should be pursuing top 150, preferably top 100. I think that is realistic. Nobody is asking for 5 star recruits.Its ok to go after under the radar kids, but they should be mixed in w more proven talent IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MJDinkins, JohnnyFan

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359094

• guinness77
  • Thank you received: 306
Hmmm, no one here thinks they’re persuing 4 or 5 star recruits? I’m gonna go back to my hole and back to lurking because I clearly said why would any 4 or 5 star recruit come here and why should we expect that to happen (NOW)? Never said Anderson and company SHOULDNT go after these types. You’re gonna need a pied piper or, at least, an NCAA win.

I mean, you have guys who have clearly never even seen a guy play and say, “hurr, durr...they must suck or something!” Those are the kind of comments people take seriously? Jeez

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359099

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2719

guinness77 wrote: You’re gonna need a pied piper or, at least, an NCAA win.

Hopefully Dunn is the third scorer we need to make that happen this season, because life will be tougher without Heron (and most likely Figueroa) in 2020-21.

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 6 months 2 days ago #359101

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 17720
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, SJ_NYC, richard A Steinfeld, Patrick C ripdumaine, Tommy O 54, ShrekII

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 5 months 4 weeks ago #359224

• billthetruth
  • Thank you received: 261

Moose wrote: I don't know if Wusu will be a reach or Moore as well. Couple things.

I care less and less about ratings. We've been torched by plenty of 3 and 2 star kids over the years. As long as a coach is getting players who fit what he's trying to do and not just a 4 star kid to hope he fits- I'm on board.

The positive that I don't think has been mentioned is that the vast majority of the class is spoken for. Now we can move onto 2021. We haven't been a year ahead in who knows how many years.

Moose:

Here are two links that add credence to I don’t care about stars post.

A low 3 star, ranked 231 out of high school baller that has Nets coach Kenny Atkinson giddy

247sports.com/player/nicolas-claxton-79536/

www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/10/...kie-nic-claxton/amp/
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Last edit: by billthetruth.

Isaih Moore, PF, Pearl River CC 5 months 4 weeks ago #359232

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 755

L J S A wrote:

guinness77 wrote: You’re gonna need a pied piper or, at least, an NCAA win.

Hopefully Dunn is the third scorer we need to make that happen this season, because life will be tougher without Heron (and most likely Figueroa) in 2020-21.

I've never understood the need to worry about things that far down the line in college hoops. It's a concern for sure, but this IS college basketball. Rosters usually turnover every few years, and completely turnover every 4yrs at a minimum. How often do mid level teams, really know two years out which players are going to fill the roles their current stars do now?

Good players leave early. Young players chase more PT at other schools via transfers. Talented players at other schools want to come home. Just too many moving parts to get to worked up over it.

Just hire a staff that has a plan, works hard, and coaches up its players. Then let them do their thing. New Stars and leaders will emerge from the process the staff puts them through and through their own natural maturation as people and athletes.

This is why I don't understand some peoples reaction to the Dylan Wusu commitment. There isn't one St. Johns fan on the planet that can honestly say that they watched Cedric Jackson as a Freshman here and thought he'd do what he did as a senior at Cleveland St. let alone have an NBA career (albeit a very brief one).

To me, Wusu is another Eugene Lawrence at worst, with a ceiling like Jackson's. There's a role for players like that on every good team because of their work ethic and lack of ego. They might not be leaders on the court in games their first few years, but they are tone setters in practice from day one. When you are changing a culture of a program and installing a system built around work ethic, then you take guys like that when you find them, especially when they have upside.

Same is true for Isaih Moore. I don't know if he has that same junkyard dog mentality that Wusu seems to have, but he does have a unique skill set that fits nicely with a team that wants to press and trap on defense. He's tall and can shoot, but his LENGTH and athleticism will make him very difficult to break a trap against.

For me, the two recruits in this class that have to be leaders on the court are Posh and Cole. That's why they were recruited. The other guys in this class fill specific roles that the staff has in their system. Perhaps they develop into stars in their own right in time, perhaps not. But at least you have your foundation in place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: REB, MCNPA, JackofVirginia, gonzalo, fuchsia, Coaster, Amaseinyourface, Fred Solomon, Tommy O 54, ShrekII

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight