St. John's Tough Supporting Local Food Pantries cool t-shirt
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit)

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374452

• Matty Hoops
  • Thank you received: 193
Moore looks more like a stretch 4, no?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374454

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 2700

Matty Hoops wrote: Moore looks more like a stretch 4, no?

Yep.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374498

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 806

CMA TIME wrote:
I'll give you Owens #s in his first 8 in league play:
161 min -20.1 per, 40boards -5boards per, 15blcks -1 less then 2 per, 45pnts - over 5pnts per.

If Josh had those #s, you take that.
Still has 2 months to go, gotta show something, and no dumb fouls.
See in the 2nd half, Josh had 2 fouls in the first minute, they showed a closeup of cma.
He looked real pissed. He came out, and never seen him again.

Just saying, Josh needs to show something.

1) Josh has 7 months in this system and he is a true Sophomore. Owens was a Jr who had a full year and a half practicing with the team under Mullin's staff when he posted his "sophomore" numbers. Roberts is AHEAD of Owens pace from a player development perspective. If he continues to improve, which usually happens when you work hard, he'll be a better player than Owens was for us in his Sr year or than he was for Texas Tech in his Grad year.

2) He's already shown plenty. The two guys you want to kick him to the curb for haven't shown jack yet at this level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, IDRAFT, RedStormRising

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374501

• SJUFAN2

CMA TIME wrote:
But Owens never got experience the year that he sat.
Unless you're saying he bulked a lot during his transfer year and matured.

Owens had what 16-18 months practicing with the team & learning the system. You can't buy experience like that.

By contrast, Roberts got no coaching or playing time last year. So if you are going to apply the same standard of "experience" to both players (assuming you want to be fair) and Owens 1st year here (his Jr year) was really his 2nd year in DI ball, then this year is actually Roberts 1st year. 6pts 6.5 rebs and 2 blks in 21min a game from a guy in his first year and you want to push him out? It's just not logical.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374502

• CMA TIME
  • Thank you received: 166

SJUFAN2 wrote:

CMA TIME wrote:
161 min -20.1 per, 40boards -5boards per, 15blcks -1 less then 2 per, 45pnts - over 5pnts per.

See in the 2nd half, Josh had 2 fouls in the first minute, they showed a closeup of cma.

1) Josh has 7 months in this system and he is a true Sophomore. Owens was a Jr who had a full year and a half practicing with the team under Mullin's staff when he posted his "sophomore" numbers. Roberts is AHEAD of Owens pace from a player development perspective. If he continues to improve, which usually happens when you work hard, he'll be a better player than Owens was for us in his Sr year or than he was for Texas Tech in his Grad year.

2) He's already shown plenty. The two guys you want to kick him to the curb for haven't shown jack yet at this level.

Are.we sure Josh is going to improve anymore next year?

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374503

• SJUFAN2

CMA TIME wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

CMA TIME wrote:

Are you sure Pickney and Rand are going to be better players?

Roberts has a track record at this level that is trending in the right direction. Those guys have nice stats against a lot of competition that will never see a D1 basketball court.

I'm absolutely sure that I'm far more comfortable betting on Roberts future success than I am on two JUCO guys nobody has even see play beyond a few Youtube highlights. Two long shots vs one guy who has actually shown BE level talent in a BE game.

Do you play poker by any chance? I have a game on a monthly basis and I'd love for you to stop in and join us any time you'd like. B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, RedStormRising, Delaware

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374505

• CMA TIME

SJUFAN2 wrote:

CMA TIME wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

CMA TIME wrote:

Are you sure Pickney and Rand are going to be better players?

Roberts has a track record at this level that is trending in the right direction. Those guys have nice stats against a lot of competition that will never see a D1 basketball court.

I'm absolutely sure that I'm far more comfortable betting on Roberts future success than I am on two JUCO guys nobody has even see play beyond a few Youtube highlights. Two long shots vs one guy who has actually shown BE level talent in a BE game.

Do you play poker by any chance? I have a game on a monthly basis and I'd love for you to stop in and join us any time you'd like. B)

Fan2, he has 1.5 months before b.e. tourny, correct?
Could he atleast improve to averaging say 4pnts & 4boards a game, i mean that shouldn't be so hard. He has 3 months this year of experience, had some good games vs good teams (shu which has a big front line 16pnts, 8 boards, but then 2-2 vs. everyone else in the b.e?????)
I'm not asking for something out of hand like 13&8 with 3 blcks per.

4&4 is improvement.
Starting the first game in February vs. G-town, i wont even count tomorrow's game since it's still in January

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374506

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 2653
How about that Vince Cole.....eh?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, bamafan, Patrick C ripdumaine, barbs20

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374507

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1606
Let's try to keep the discussion here about Vince and take other conversations to a new thread if needed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Last edit: by Knight.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 3 months 4 weeks ago #374508

• CMA TIME

JohnnyFan wrote: How about that Vince Cole.....eh?

Lol i thought we were done with the Roberts subject until about an hour ago

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight