St. John's Tough Supporting Local Food Pantries cool t-shirt
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit)

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 6 hours ago #374354

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 807

richard A Steinfeld wrote: Well we are recruiting more players than we have scholys so some are going to be forced out regardless. Of course the the first one to come to mind is Steere, although I don’t think CMA gave him enough of a chance,.

Yes, some are going to leave. That's part of transitioning from one staff to another. It takes a year to see if some of the guys you inherited can fit into your system and you take guys that first year you wouldn't take under normal circumstances.

Figueroa is likely going pro, though if he were to come back next year I think he'd thrive. If Figgy goes we are at 13 scholarships.

After watching this team and this system for 2+ months I think it's clear that Steere, Sears and Caraher are in over their heads. It won't surprise me if any one of them, or even all three of them, decide to move on to greener pastures. Its prudent to be recruiting replacements for all 3 at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, JackofVirginia, RedStormRising, Andrew, L J S A, SigEpSJU09

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 5 hours ago #374368

• capmaker
  • Thank you received: 176
richard A Steinfeld wrote: Well we are recruiting more players than we have scholys so some are going to be forced out regardless. Of course the the first one to come to mind is Steere, although I don’t think CMA gave him enough of a chance,.

Maybe they are not being forced out. It might be they see that due to their limitations in responding to CMA's expectations, that they will get greater playing time elsewhere.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 5 hours ago #374370

• BrooklynRed
  • Thank you received: 258

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Yes, some are going to leave. That's part of transitioning from one staff to another. It takes a year to see if some of the guys you inherited can fit into your system and you take guys that first year you wouldn't take under normal circumstances.

Figueroa is likely going pro, though if he were to come back next year I think he'd thrive. If Figgy goes we are at 13 scholarships.

After watching this team and this system for 2+ months I think it's clear that Steere, Sears and Caraher are in over their heads. It won't surprise me if any one of them, or even all three of them, decide to move on to greener pastures. Its prudent to be recruiting replacements for all 3 at this point.

Steere would be playing if he put in the effort. It all begins in practice. CMA would be playing him if he contributed in practice/games. At least Sears and Caraher show enthusiasm. After sitting out one year already Steere and Caraher would have to sit out another year and would only have one year of eligibility. Caraher is an interesting issue. Apparently quite a student (4.0 first semester). Who knows--he might graduate after this semester (3 years) or after next fall's semester and then he would eligible for graduate transfer and immediate play. He might stick around for next year and then have the graduate transfer available so he would not lose a year of playing.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 5 hours ago #374372

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 18595

BrooklynRed wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Steere would be playing if he put in the effort. It all begins in practice. CMA would be playing him if he contributed in practice/games. At least Sears and Caraher show enthusiasm. After sitting out one year already Steere and Caraher would have to sit out another year and would only have one year of eligibility. Caraher is an interesting issue. Apparently quite a student (4.0 first semester). Who knows--he might graduate after this semester (3 years) or after next fall's semester and then he would eligible for graduate transfer and immediate play. He might stick around for next year and then have the graduate transfer available so he would not lose a year of playing.

My impression is Caraher will have sufficient credits to exercise grad transfer option after this season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Amaseinyourface, L J S A

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 5 hours ago #374374

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 1065

Paultzman wrote:

BrooklynRed wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

My impression is Caraher will have sufficient credits to exercise grad transfer option after this season.

Well that would make things a lot easier for him. Plenty of good schools where he could play and further his education. If he isn’t graduating then I think he stays. Anderson seems to appreciate his effort. If Steere doesn’t play then he will transfer. Not sure what will happen with Sears. Won’t even speculate on anyone else but I highly doubt anyone will be forced out.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 hours ago #374376

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 4500
Sears gives maximum effort all the time which coach seems to really appreciate. I would not be at all surprised if he is back next year as spot player off the bench so long as he is good with that role.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrooklynRed

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 hours ago #374377

• CMA TIME
  • Thank you received: 166

SJUFAN2 wrote:

CMA TIME wrote: Why Rand or Pinckney?
I'm gonna say this and if it pisses people off then so be it.
Might be better for Roberts to tranfer out, what has he done in the B.E besides one good game?

I'd like to see both Rand and Pinckney. There's no way they're any worse then Steere and Roberts.

Sooooooooooo glad you aren't running this program. Rand and Pickney are complete UNKNOWNS at this level.

This isn't fantasy basketball. You don't get to cut guys and bring in others in a vacuum. There are consequences for pushing people out. And if you are trying to create a hard working, family atmosphere around a program the single best way to kill that program is to stop living up to your word as a coach.

Roberts is averaging 6 pts, 6.3 boards and 2 blocks a game playing 21 minutes. Oh, and he's shooting almost 60% from the floor...all as a SOPHOMORE who didn't get any coaching or playing time as a freshman. You run kids like this out of your program for guys who aren't 5 star recruits and you won't be able to get anyone to play for you.

Push a kid like Roberts out, a kid who CHOSE to stay here and play for CMA and busted his ass to make an incredible leap in production from year 1 to year 2 and you can stick a fork in the CMA era, and in this program, forever.

WORST idea...EVER.

Yeah Fan2, he had some nice games in out of conf.

Now lets talk about in conf.
He had one good game vs SHU: 16pnts, 8boards, 1blk in 25 minutes

Now lets see the next 7 games:
He logged 86minutes -alittle over 12per game, 14boards -2 per game, 4blck, and 12pnts -Almost 2per game.
I guess CMA doesn't like what he sees either if Roberts is only play 12min per game.

Rand got 10blcks in a game, yeah I know that's only juco, but that's impressive at any level in a game.
Maybe that equals to 3/4 blcks at div I?
You don't know who he wants to keep, neither do I.

I just hope he gets ore talented players, my opinion.
You could choose to keep lesser players, because their great kids. Kudos to you on that.

Who's to say Rand & Pinckney aren't great kids.
Just give me the best chance to win, to me that's with more talented players.

Last edit: by CMA TIME.

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 hours ago #374378

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 4586
Some kids you gotta let them become juniors and see if they keep improving. Roberts showing improvement from frosh year I hope he stays
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 hours ago #374379

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 2653
Can someone let me know where I can find the Vince Cole thread?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Steve Knortz, Patrick C ripdumaine

Vince Cole, SG, USC Salik JC (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 hours ago #374385

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 1126

JohnnyFan wrote: Can someone let me know where I can find the Vince Cole thread?[/quote

Yes JFan
Vince Cole
He seems to have disappeared
Maybe re label this topic:
“ miscellaneous “

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight