Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit)

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359019

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 14982
“Wusu chose St. John's over programs like UMass, Hofstra and Dayton, while Providence and Cincinnati showed strong interest.”

“Wusu is a very tough guard that makes his noise on the defensive end. He can still light it up offensively, but Mike Anderson saw his potential as a very versatile defender, a la, DeMarre Carroll in my opinion”

stjohns.rivals.com/news/new-york-city-sg-commits-to-st-john-s

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359020

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2669
I agree with a few sentiments on the Board regarding the Staff's 2020 recruiting.
CMA is recruiting the types of players he believes will fit well in his system, seemingly regardless of * ratings. He's coached these kinds of kids 'up' often in the past and has done very well with them.
It's been a long while since we've netted 4 recruits for the following season before October 1st. And as said, it doesn't seem that we're done for 2020.
This gives some pause because I do like roster stability and do not like to force kids out, but we shall see how it all turns out.
All said, I think this Staff has busted its butt in getting kids locked up for the 2020 Season within a short time frame.
Looking forward to seeing the team improve through 2019-20 and support Iron Mike as he remakes St. John's men's hoops.
In Iron Mike we trust.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, jackfro, ctstorm, Fred Solomon, NCJohnnie

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359021

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3105

PharmDJohnnie11 wrote:

Monte wrote: I know rankings aren’t everything, but they are something. Not one recruiting service that I could find has this kid even ranked. This feels more like part of a package deal to me then anything. Which is fine by me, especially when CMA is trying to establish a pipeline with (at least) one of the top high school programs in the area.

I'm willing to give Mike A the benefit of the doubt for now considering his track record with these type of low rated recruits, but as someone else on here said it's not really a good thing when they make up half of your entire roster. I didn't mind the Isiah Moore signing because he clearly has some big upside just by looking at his 7'6 wingspan, and touch from the outside.

I honestly don't see a Big East caliber impact player when I watched Wusu's highlight reel, and yes I know highlight reels, and rankings don't matter THAT much. Hope I'm wrong.

Most of us are not qualified to evaluate Dylan's talent as a Big East "IMPACT" player but I don't think coach Anderson recruited him to be an impact player but more of a role player as he assembles what he thinks are players that want to be at St. John's versus highly ranked players who visit but rather be at a Power 5 school playing St. John's until the right offer come$ along.
Now, not to knock the previous staff because recruiting wasn't their thing but Chris Mullin coached a 6'3, 220 pound slug named Bryan Trimble who played major minutes over 2 years and produced a whopping 2 points per game. He never drove to the basket or show any impactful talent but Mullin played him in over 32 games per year and even started him in a few games.
I don't expect CMA to be as generous with minutes with Dylan but I'm sure he will get more out him if he played 17 minutes a game than Mullin got out of Trimble.
Hopefully after this year he will recruit and sign a real impact player like Shamorie.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359024

• PharmDJohnnie11
  • Thank you received: 247

Class of 72 wrote:

PharmDJohnnie11 wrote:

Monte wrote: I know rankings aren’t everything, but they are something. Not one recruiting service that I could find has this kid even ranked. This feels more like part of a package deal to me then anything. Which is fine by me, especially when CMA is trying to establish a pipeline with (at least) one of the top high school programs in the area.

I'm willing to give Mike A the benefit of the doubt for now considering his track record with these type of low rated recruits, but as someone else on here said it's not really a good thing when they make up half of your entire roster. I didn't mind the Isiah Moore signing because he clearly has some big upside just by looking at his 7'6 wingspan, and touch from the outside.

I honestly don't see a Big East caliber impact player when I watched Wusu's highlight reel, and yes I know highlight reels, and rankings don't matter THAT much. Hope I'm wrong.

Most of us are not qualified to evaluate Dylan's talent as a Big East "IMPACT" player but I don't think coach Anderson recruited him to be an impact player but more of a role player as he assembles what he thinks are players that want to be at St. John's versus highly ranked players who visit but rather be at a Power 5 school playing St. John's until the right offer come$ along.
Now, not to knock the previous staff because recruiting wasn't their thing but Chris Mullin coached a 6'3, 220 pound slug named Bryan Trimble who played major minutes over 2 years and produced a whopping 2 points per game. He never drove to the basket or show any impactful talent but Mullin played him in over 32 games per year and even started him in a few games.
I don't expect CMA to be as generous with minutes with Dylan but I'm sure he will get more out him if he played 17 minutes a game than Mullin got out of Trimble.
Hopefully after this year he will recruit and sign a real impact player like Shamorie.

I agree and the value of good role players can't be understated. But I just don't see the need to take a commitment from this level player so early if he's projected to be a role player at best.

Like I said though, I will give CMA the benefit of the doubt here. I will admit I didn't really follow his teams earlier in his coaching career, and most who have on here have been saying he gets the best out of players like this. We will see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, JohnnyFan

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359025

• fuchsia
  • Thank you received: 219
Why is a St. John ‘s player who remade his body and took tremendous physical punishment being forced to play out of position, ever subjected to courageous anonymous name calling.by a redmen.com poster?

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359028

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2413
Chicago Days: I feel like you disappeared for a long time. Good to see you back, but my apologies if you have been posting and I've somehow managed to miss them all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359030

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2669
Hi LJSA. Been working hard on a project--on my 5th draft. Good to be back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, L J S A, JohnnyFan

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359033

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3105

fuchsia wrote: Why is a St. John ‘s player who remade his body and took tremendous physical punishment being forced to play out of position, ever subjected to courageous anonymous name calling.by a redmen.com poster?

Please! WHO forced him to play out of position? WHY did he play out of position? WAS he a Big East player?
Answer those questions and compare him to the now maligned Dylan Wusu and coach Anderson and your retort would be appreciated. This is a basketball program not a bodybuilding contest.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred Solomon

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359038

• gonzalo
  • Thank you received: 197

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 1 month 2 weeks ago #359046

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3624
Chicago Days wrote: Hi LJSA. Been working hard on a project--on my 5th draft. Good to be back.

Welcome back Chicago! Suspect we are in for an enjoyable ride with this staff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight