Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit)

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #358989

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 1141
If you don’t feel like watching a whole game just watch the from 16:00 -26:00 minute mark in this game posted by save the hero. Maybe he stunk the rest of the game I havnt watched it yet but In this ten minute stretch against a real quality team he showed a lot. 2 great drives and an and-1 finish. A few solid passes on good decisions, 3-3 from the line, 3 steals, an offensive rebound and took a charge.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moose, bamafan, Jnaw17

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359004

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1808

billthetruth wrote:

Big Red wrote:

redmannorth wrote:

Happy wrote: This one for me is a real head scratcher and the staff thinks he can be a solid 4 year player as an upperclassman. There still is a number of better options in my opinion locally in guys like Bryce Harris and Jalen Celestine etc that for me would be a better fit . I have never watched Dylan in a game and said that he is a big east contributor but the staff does apparently because they are the ones who set up the official visit and if a kid wants to commit on an official you always says yes otherwise what’s the point :). I would have loved to wait and monitor him during the school year and don’t see what the rush was because he is a kid I think we could have gotten him at anytime. A great poster on this site mentioned to me this morning that a package of Posh and Max the big from OSL would make more sense and he is 100% correct. . I’m sure this also takes us out of the running for Guess as well but we will have to do the trust the staff thing on this one for now :). Welcome aboard Dylan :).

Well you could be a Big East coach. As I left the gym at noon today I went over to a Big East assistant who was there to watch Mathew Alexander Moncrief of Orangeville Prep. I asked him straight out what do you think of Dylan Wusu ? He looked at me puzzled. The assistant coach from another USD1 school sitting next to him replied «  you know the kid ST John’s signed. » He says oh yah he could be ok. I chime in and state what was the rush to sign this kid ? He replied I don’t know he would have been there for SJU in the spring.
I walk out of the gym and go to the washroom before the drive home and Moncrief is there charging his phone. I ask him where are you going to school. He says I don’t know I am just setting up my visits, Michigan State, Georgetown, Arizona, TCU etc.
So we are recruiting against St. Peter’s, Bryant, Wagner and our competitors are recruiting against Big Ten and PAC 12 schools.

I’ve seen a lot of kids be over recruited with a bunch of “names” attached, who didn’t pan out. Staff sees a kid they think they can develop, pull the trigger. I trust their decision making.

Not saying it will work out but 6 years ago people were probably saying similar things about Desi Rodriquez

Don’t remember big programs salivating over him

Good point and I never cease to be amazed at the opinions offered up on players posters have never seen. And just because someone is a D1 coach, that does not necessarily make them a good evaluator of talent, even more so on players they are not recruiting, nor does it mean they have any insight into the role a particular player may be recruited for. People are so hung up on stars and mixtapes......God, enough already, at least let Anderson put a team on the floor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MCNPA, Fred Solomon

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359005

• SJ_NYC
  • Thank you received: 199
3 years. That's the minimum amount of time needed to start evaluating a new coaching staff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Logen

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359006

• AlexSTJ
  • Thank you received: 213
For years other programs like Seton Hall have taken NYC kids similar to Wusu and have had great success. One highly positive thing I noticed is he a tremendous FT shooter (85% in EYBL) for someone his age. Let's be patient with this one.

Also, please don't put to much emphasis on OSL's season if we also land Max A. Last year we had arguably the best starting 5 in the Big East and still ended up playing Wed. Night at The Garden. This year, we have 2 BE first team talented guys like LJ and Heron and it's very likely we will finish in 9th or 10th place.

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359007

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1808

SJ_NYC wrote: 3 years. That's the minimum amount of time needed to start evaluating a new coaching staff.

I could not agree more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJ_NYC

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359008

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 2044

AlexSTJ wrote: For years other programs like Seton Hall have taken NYC kids similar to Wusu and have had great success. One highly positive thing I noticed is he a tremendous FT shooter (85% in EYBL) for someone his age. Let's be patient with this one.

Also, please don't put to much emphasis on OSL's season if we also land Max A. Last year we had arguably the best starting 5 in the Big East and still ended up playing Wed. Night at The Garden. This year, we have 2 BE first team talented guys like LJ and Heron and it's very likely we will finish in 9th or 10th place.

Good points. Also, team building is a thing not just by size and weight. Maybe the coach saw something special in his character or how he plays that he feels makes the team he is building, better. A driving combo guard with size who rebounds and hits free throws. Free throws make up for other style points. Early commitments also lend stability to our future. A massive need.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Logen, Fred Solomon, AlexSTJ, NCJohnnie

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359012

• SJUhoopNUT
  • Thank you received: 59
Many examples of kids that are under-recruited that wind up being solid Big East players. Taking Dylan to me tells more about the culture coach Anderson is trying to establish. He wants gritty NYC kids. I do think we need to get back to our roots of toughness. We kind of lost our way in that area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred Solomon

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359014

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 2572
I know rankings aren’t everything, but they are something. Not one recruiting service that I could find has this kid even ranked. This feels more like part of a package deal to me then anything. Which is fine by me, especially when CMA is trying to establish a pipeline with (at least) one of the top high school programs in the area.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan, Chicago Days

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359016

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 634

AlexSTJ wrote: For years other programs like Seton Hall have taken NYC kids similar to Wusu and have had great success. One highly positive thing I noticed is he a tremendous FT shooter (85% in EYBL) for someone his age. Let's be patient with this one.

I remember when wvu had all those ny kids, and were kings at MSG when winning the BE title.That moment really was like a slap to us SJU fans, and was like WVU thank you to NY for yours kids when they came here and became kings of MSG that night.

Well now we're keeping NYC kids home so lets not complain. We may not like the 2star recruits he's getting, but we aren't coaching them, he is. He knows who he wants for his system better then us, it's his system.
He's the real professional coach that we wanted for along time right? So, now we're bitching even before his first game here? lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: jackfro, Chicago Days, Fred Solomon

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 3 weeks ago #359017

• PharmDJohnnie11
  • Thank you received: 263

Monte wrote: I know rankings aren’t everything, but they are something. Not one recruiting service that I could find has this kid even ranked. This feels more like part of a package deal to me then anything. Which is fine by me, especially when CMA is trying to establish a pipeline with (at least) one of the top high school programs in the area.

I'm willing to give Mike A the benefit of the doubt for now considering his track record with these type of low rated recruits, but as someone else on here said it's not really a good thing when they make up half of your entire roster. I didn't mind the Isiah Moore signing because he clearly has some big upside just by looking at his 7'6 wingspan, and touch from the outside.

I honestly don't see a Big East caliber impact player when I watched Wusu's highlight reel, and yes I know highlight reels, and rankings don't matter THAT much. Hope I'm wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, JohnnyFan

Last edit: by PharmDJohnnie11.
Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight