Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit)

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358927

• Making Plays
  • Thank you received: 539

Happy wrote: This one for me is a real head scratcher and the staff thinks he can be a solid 4 year player as an upperclassman. There still is a number of better options in my opinion locally in guys like Bryce Harris and Jalen Celestine etc that for me would be a better fit . I have never watched Dylan in a game and said that he is a big east contributor but the staff does apparently because they are the ones who set up the official visit and if a kid wants to commit on an official you always says yes otherwise what’s the point :). I would have loved to wait and monitor him during the school year and don’t see what the rush was because he is a kid I think we could have gotten him at anytime. A great poster on this site mentioned to me this morning that a package of Posh and Max the big from OSL would make more sense and he is 100% correct. . I’m sure this also takes us out of the running for Guess as well but we will have to do the trust the staff thing on this one for now :). Welcome aboard Dylan :).

Something like this can really back fire on you. And it has on CMA, and some could argue it was one of the things that cost him his job at Arkansas.

There's a kid by the name of Issac McBride. Just like Wusu, McBride was unranked and didn't have any high major offers, in fact Wusu has more offers that McBride had. CMA and staff had always been in touch and he even had officially visited Arkansas before, and McBride wanted to goto Arkansas. There was a tournament in Vegas where McBride absolutely showed out in front of scouts and had like a 30 point game against a team with several high major players. After that tournament, Kansas and Bill Self offered him, and then several other high majors followed including CMA. Shortly after his flood of offers, he went from unranked on 247 to a 4-star and the top ranked kid in the state. McBride would end up committing to Kansas a few weeks later, Self moved fast on him. And rumors were he felt slighted by Arkansas because they recruited him for so long and never offered him, so he didn't want to come here anymore. Many fans believe that if CMA had McBride committed he wouldn't have got fired.

If you think a kid is good enough you have to move on him, you can't worry about an espn or a 247 ranking, you trust your staff and get the kid committed, don't wait for another high major to evaluate and then steal him from you. A lot of kids don't like it when a school just strings them along and considers them a back-up plan, especially the home state school.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, Coaster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358928

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1809
Having never seen Wusu play, I spent a couple of hours this morning calling around, talking to people who have. Reactions were very mixed, a couple agreeing with Happy, a couple thinking he is an under the radar steal. One interesting point of view though from the same scout and friend who raved about Dom Pointer when he committed. Basically, his feeling was that SJU had become a “pretty boy” program, no toughness, no lunch pail guys. In his opinion, Anderson’s first order of business is to change that internally, get some guys who you want next to you when you try and take that hill. He thinks Wusu is that type of guy and counseled me that Anderson has always been about team, about defense and toughness; all above individual “talent” if you will. Interesting; I rarely comment on players I have seen and never about players I haven’t and since I haven’t seen anyone we have recruited I am just looking forward to the season. We shall see........
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, Paultzman, SJU85, MarkRedman, Joe, IDRAFT, Coaster, sjc88, Jnaw17, Andrew and 1 other people also said thanks.

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358929

• QueensBall
  • Thank you received: 355
Welcome, Dylan. Don't know much about him so as always I appreciate the folks who are familiar chiming in for the rest of us.

No problems trusting Coach until his results give me a reason not to. Posh & Cole felt like much needed injections of offensive talent so I don't mind using a scholarship to take a flyer on a guy who the staff sees something in. Maybe Wusu has a great senior year and we'll all be excited to have gotten in before he really popped. I will agree that Posh and Wusu have the physical builds of the tank-like, tough-nosed guards that were more prevalent in the older days of the Big East. Hopefully they can bring that toughness and help give us an identity we've been lacking in recent seasons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358931

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1750
Great quote from Peter Weyhe, Our Saviour of Lutheran head coach about CMA:

"He's doing an excellent job and he's really straightforward and honest and that's the best thing about him. They're real."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Joe, sjc88

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358932

• Fred Solomon
  • Thank you received: 54
Under the Radar Picks
62nd Round Mike Piazza HOF
22nd Round John Smoltz HOF
20th Round Ryne Sandberg HOF
42nd Round Keith Hernandez
29th Round Ken Griffey
24th Round Jorge Posada
22 nd Round Andy Pettite

And the list goes on and on. Somebody had to trust the scouts AND pay these guys signing bonuses as well

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358934

• redken
  • Thank you received: 1024

fuchsia wrote: I would look at Nolan Richardson NC team at UA. After the triplets. Delph, Moncrief, and Brewer, what was the structure and rest of the starting rotation?

No one on next year's team will be remotely close to being the player Sidney Moncrief was (5th player selected in the 1979 draft & a 5-time NBA All-Star, and dominant on both ends of the court to boot) and it's highly unlikely one will emerge.

Last edit: by redken.

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358937

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 2543
I am hoping this doesn't knock Christian Guess off the board. Guess would play right away and clearly play ahead of Wusu for his remaining two years here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, bamafan

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358942

• Save The Hero
  • Thank you received: 10
Watched a couple of his games online this morning. A quick evaluation:

Strengths:
  • Has very good basketball IQ. He knows where to go with the ball as soon as he rebounds and starts fast breaks by making a quick and accurate pass.
  • He really has a feel for when to attack and the strength to take contact and finish.
  • He's very quick and strong. Seems to have a plus wingspan also allowing him to defend one through three.
  • Has very good form and looks like he can hit free throws very well.
  • Compact dribble and keeps head up, allowing him to find open players.
  • Makes great passing decisions when dribble penetrating or in the pick and roll.
  • Rebounds very well for size.
  • Defends passing lanes very well and gets steals because of it.

Weaknesses:
  • Defensively he doesn't really play the man and the ball. Gets caught playing the ball far too often and his man slips open for a good shot.
  • Needs to show more effort on defense as he has lockdown ability with his physical profile.
  • He's not efficient from three point range.

Obviously I am no expert, but I went into this thinking Wusu's potential was good rotational player and came out believing with work on defense and improved three point efficiency he could potentially play in the NBA. I really like this get and feel that he perfectly fits this system. Hopefully MA can teach him how to defend better. He will end up being a very good piece to this team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, sjc88, BrooklynRed

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358947

• Amaseinyourface
  • Thank you received: 1142

Save The Hero wrote: Watched a couple of his games online this morning. A quick evaluation:

Strengths:

• Has very good basketball IQ. He knows where to go with the ball as soon as he rebounds and starts fast breaks by making a quick and accurate pass.
  • He really has a feel for when to attack and the strength to take contact and finish.
  • He's very quick and strong. Seems to have a plus wingspan also allowing him to defend one through three.
  • Has very good form and looks like he can hit free throws very well.
  • Compact dribble and keeps head up, allowing him to find open players.
  • Makes great passing decisions when dribble penetrating or in the pick and roll.
  • Rebounds very well for size.
  • Defends passing lanes very well and gets steals because of it.

Weaknesses:
  • Defensively he doesn't really play the man and the ball. Gets caught playing the ball far too often and his man slips open for a good shot.
  • Needs to show more effort on defense as he has lockdown ability with his physical profile.
  • He's not efficient from three point range.

Obviously I am no expert, but I went into this thinking Wusu's potential was good rotational player and came out believing with work on defense and improved three point efficiency he could potentially play in the NBA. I really like this get and feel that he perfectly fits this system. Hopefully MA can teach him how to defend better. He will end up being a very good piece to this team.

Do you have a link to the vids?

Dylan Wusu, SG, OSL HS (SJU Commit) 4 months 4 weeks ago #358949

• Save The Hero
  • Thank you received: 10
^Yes, of course:

I'm sure there are more out there, but these are the ones I saw.

He's number 3

Last edit: by Save The Hero.
Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight