Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308164

  • Anthony Mattia
  • Anthony Mattia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 359
  • Thank you received: 147

Happy wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.


He is not a 2 star player and lack of AAU exposure and those who have seen him agree he is a slam dunk high major kid


Admittedly, I have not seen him play, so I can only go off of what I can find on the net.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308165

  • Anthony Mattia
  • Anthony Mattia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 359
  • Thank you received: 147

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.


I agree - would prefer we keep focusing on HS kids that string us along for 3 years and then commit elsewhere.


So you would rather we just have a team full of Earlington's? Thanks, but I'll pass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308167

  • SJU14
  • SJU14's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 1531
  • Thank you received: 313

Anthony Mattia wrote:

Happy wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.


He is not a 2 star player and lack of AAU exposure and those who have seen him agree he is a slam dunk high major kid


Admittedly, I have not seen him play, so I can only go off of what I can find on the net.


So you already have your opinion on a kid based off of what you found on the internet over someone who has seem him play?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308176

  • Anthony Mattia
  • Anthony Mattia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 359
  • Thank you received: 147

SJU14 wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote:

Happy wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.


He is not a 2 star player and lack of AAU exposure and those who have seen him agree he is a slam dunk high major kid


Admittedly, I have not seen him play, so I can only go off of what I can find on the net.


So you already have your opinion on a kid based off of what you found on the internet over someone who has seem him play?


At times, yes. We have some people (and I am not saying that is the case here) that feel like a local 2* is better than a 4* from outside the area simply because they are local. If the kid can play, why is he ranked so low? Why is Happy the only person that has seen him play? Why aren't local reporters talking about him? Why aren't other coaches recruiting him? Why is he raked a 2*?

I simply feel that we can do better.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308179

  • AlexSTJ
  • AlexSTJ's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 539
  • Thank you received: 206

Anthony Mattia wrote:

SJU14 wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote:

Happy wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.


He is not a 2 star player and lack of AAU exposure and those who have seen him agree he is a slam dunk high major kid


Admittedly, I have not seen him play, so I can only go off of what I can find on the net.


So you already have your opinion on a kid based off of what you found on the internet over someone who has seem him play?


At times, yes. We have some people (and I am not saying that is the case here) that feel like a local 2* is better than a 4* from outside the area simply because they are local. If the kid can play, why is he ranked so low? Why is Happy the only person that has seen him play? Why aren't local reporters talking about him? Why aren't other coaches recruiting him? Why is he raked a 2*?

I simply feel that we can do better.


He's a Sophomore. Players have shot up in recruiting rankings in a short amount of time. Think of Kahlil Whitney and Nassir Little. After good AAU sessions they both went from borderling top 50-100 to slam dunk 5 star recruits.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by AlexSTJ.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308187

  • Anthony Mattia
  • Anthony Mattia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 359
  • Thank you received: 147

alexander salem wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote:

SJU14 wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote:

Happy wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote: Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.


He is not a 2 star player and lack of AAU exposure and those who have seen him agree he is a slam dunk high major kid


Admittedly, I have not seen him play, so I can only go off of what I can find on the net.


So you already have your opinion on a kid based off of what you found on the internet over someone who has seem him play?


At times, yes. We have some people (and I am not saying that is the case here) that feel like a local 2* is better than a 4* from outside the area simply because they are local. If the kid can play, why is he ranked so low? Why is Happy the only person that has seen him play? Why aren't local reporters talking about him? Why aren't other coaches recruiting him? Why is he raked a 2*?

I simply feel that we can do better.


He's a Sophomore. Players have shot up in recruiting rankings in a short amount of time. Think of Kahlil Whitney and Nassir Little. After good AAU sessions they both went from borderling top 50-100 to slam dunk 5 star recruits.


And many more do not shoot up from 2* to 5*. I can't believe I am being criticized for wanting a higher level of talent coming in so we don't have to hear all of the complaining like we are this year with Roberts, Williams and Earlington.

You know what, forget it. You guys are right, this kid is the second coming of Jesus and will be the first 8* recruit in history. Let's get him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308189

  • gonzalo
  • gonzalo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 794
  • Thank you received: 204

Anthony Mattia wrote:
We have some people (and I am not saying that is the case here) that feel like a local 2* is better than a 4* from outside the area simply because they are local.


Outside of Lovett what 4* from outside the area have we got?
Don´t tell me the transfers (Simon, Keita, Owens or Wright) that played less than 10 minutes per game at college.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by gonzalo.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308191

  • Dan V
  • Dan V's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 466
  • Thank you received: 317
Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.[/quote]

At times, yes. We have some people (and I am not saying that is the case here) that feel like a local 2* is better than a 4* from outside the area simply because they are local. If the kid can play, why is he ranked so low? Why is Happy the only person that has seen him play? Why aren't local reporters talking about him? Why aren't other coaches recruiting him? Why is he raked a 2*?

I simply feel that we can do better.[/quote]

Your taking the whole star rankings thing as the definitive way to evaluate recruits. Coaches don't go online and look up the stars kids have and then go recruit, they watch recruits in person or go by trusted sources. Not that Happy is that source for Mullin im not saying that. I don't think him being local has anything to do with it. Although i've heard so many college head coaches mention the need to be able to recruit in state, it actually is pretty important to most programs.

All im saying is don't rule a kid out because he is a "2 star" on a website. There are only so many 4/5 star kids on these sites, the majority of college basketball is actually 3 stars or lower and a lot of them turn out to be good players who could actually play at the high major level. Just look at the amount of grad transfers and "Up" transfers there are now from the smaller leagues. Ja Morant will be a lottery pick and he had no stars, probably only got a recruiting page by default after he commited to Murray State. These guys on these sites just rank kids based on their offers most of the time anyway or who they see watching the recruit at AAU tournaments.

Good recruiters go by what they see and the potential they feel they can bring out of the kid. Also why are people assuming that Earlington is a bust before he gets a chance to step on the court. He is a freshman and needs to develop nothing wrong with that we have older guys ahead of him. He may end up transferring regardless but while he is here im going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Didnt everyone agree before the season that he would need time because he just fully dedicated himself to basketball.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308196

  • Anthony Mattia
  • Anthony Mattia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 359
  • Thank you received: 147

gonzalo wrote:

Anthony Mattia wrote:
We have some people (and I am not saying that is the case here) that feel like a local 2* is better than a 4* from outside the area simply because they are local.


Outside of Lovett what 4* from outside the area have we got?


Don´t tell me the transfers (Simon, Keita, Owens or Wright) that played less than 10 minutes per game at college.


Are you only looking for the last 4 years? ok...Greg Williams Jr. And your argument right back at you, which 2* do we have that miraculously improved to a 5*.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Gary Grant, F, St. Raymond, NY 1 year 1 month ago #308197

  • Anthony Mattia
  • Anthony Mattia's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 359
  • Thank you received: 147

Dan V wrote: Only 1 site has him ranked, and they list him as a 2*. If we can't do better than that with a guard/wing (Mullin's bread and butter), then we really should not complain about not getting a good big. I'll pass on all 2*'s regardless of where they are from, even if some may surprise you.


At times, yes. We have some people (and I am not saying that is the case here) that feel like a local 2* is better than a 4* from outside the area simply because they are local. If the kid can play, why is he ranked so low? Why is Happy the only person that has seen him play? Why aren't local reporters talking about him? Why aren't other coaches recruiting him? Why is he raked a 2*?

I simply feel that we can do better.[/quote]

Your taking the whole star rankings thing as the definitive way to evaluate recruits. Coaches don't go online and look up the stars kids have and then go recruit, they watch recruits in person or go by trusted sources. Not that Happy is that source for Mullin im not saying that. I don't think him being local has anything to do with it. Although i've heard so many college head coaches mention the need to be able to recruit in state, it actually is pretty important to most programs.

All im saying is don't rule a kid out because he is a "2 star" on a website. There are only so many 4/5 star kids on these sites, the majority of college basketball is actually 3 stars or lower and a lot of them turn out to be good players who could actually play at the high major level. Just look at the amount of grad transfers and "Up" transfers there are now from the smaller leagues. Ja Morant will be a lottery pick and he had no stars, probably only got a recruiting page by default after he commited to Murray State. These guys on these sites just rank kids based on their offers most of the time anyway or who they see watching the recruit at AAU tournaments.

Good recruiters go by what they see and the potential they feel they can bring out of the kid. Also why are people assuming that Earlington is a bust before he gets a chance to step on the court. He is a freshman and needs to develop nothing wrong with that we have older guys ahead of him. He may end up transferring regardless but while he is here im going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Didnt everyone agree before the season that he would need time because he just fully dedicated himself to basketball.[/quote]

I actually agree with everything you are saying, except for 1 thing. If you think as a program we can afford to continually bring in projects that need to develop, then you are stating that you are ok with mediocrity. We already have projects in Earlington, Roberts, Williams, maybe Caraher and Keita and you want another project just because he is local and might improve? Look, I hope I am wrong. I hope we get this kid and he becomes awesome, but I don't see it right now as a need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan V

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight