Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Andre Curbelo, PG, Lutheran HS

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354074

• JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2177
It has been obvious, for about the past year, that Curbelo would be courted by the big boys. He is a unique player. Not the strongest, fastest, best defender or an elite shooter. But, after watching him play, most people say something like....."now that's a point guard!". Coaches will fall in love with him and he will be a very tough land.

That said, Andre may also be unique in that he may want to play at home in front of friends and family. I would sit tight and let our staff make their best play. I do think SJU is a serious consideration for him

I understand the emotion surrounding this recruit. He is exactly the type of kid we need to get. Where ever he goes, I look forward to following his career.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, JackofVirginia, Frank61, Windy City Johnny Fan, Tommy O 54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354075

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 14393
DeMeo watched a few other kids btw in addition to Curbelo. I’ll trust Anderson on assignments until proven otherwise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Windy City Johnny Fan, NCJohnnie, Tommy O 54

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354076

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 682

JohnnyFan wrote: It has been obvious, for the past year, that Curbelo would be courted by the big boys. He is a unique player. Not the strongest, fastest, best defender or an elite shooter. But, after watching him play, most people say something like....."now that's a point guard!". He will be a very tough land.

That said, Andre may also be unique in that he may want to play at home in front of friends and family. I would sit tight and let our staff make their best play. I do think SJU is a serious consideration for him

I do understand the emotion surrounding this recruit. He is exactly the type of kid we need to get here. Where ever he goes, I look forward to following his career.

Agree, sensible - just frustrating, for once it would be nice to read "I am hearing from St. John's a lot, I am very intrigued and really love what the staff is doing". But to Logen's earlier point players don't have much to lean on until there is a track record.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354079

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1331

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

Logen wrote: I have asked this question countless times with no reasonable answer because in reality, there is none. Why other than for personal reasons, a girlfriend as I believe Panther suggested or something of that nature, would a recruit at the level Curbelo has reached select SJU over a Kansas or even a Louisville? We have sprinkled a couple of semi-successful seasons amongst what is now decades of mediocrity and dysfunction. I love me some SJU basketball but IMO we are just not a logical destination for higher echelon recruits. Sad, but true. We need an Anderson, a guy willing to take on the challenge, willing to go to work, to restore us as a viable program first. I don’t like it any more than the next fanatic but that is the reality as I see it. And it is easy to criticize when we don’t land this level recruit so those who will pile on, tell me why players of that caliber should come to SJU? I am waiting..............

Completely agree. Need to show we can win first. So the question becomes, is sending Demeo out to watch him in Greece the best use of our resources if we have no chance in landing him?

No, I don’t think that is the question for us as fans to ask at all. One of the things any coach must do starting out is establish relationships, think past today for possible future returns. I can’t answer whether it is money well spent or not, Anderson’s results will tell that tale. I am in my own business and the old adage “spend money to make money” is true but spend unwisely, don’t get a return on money spent now with the idea of future benefits and quickly one is updating and circulating the resume. Recruiting, like most businesses, is not a linear exercise so what appears to be a failure from the outside may in fact be the opposite. The reverse can also be true. That’s why to me, unfortunately, hire a coach and look up in 3-5 years and see where you are. See not only where the program has been but where it is going. For example, sjc88 commented a post or two ago about Coach K, well it took him a few years to become “Coach K”, same with Jay Wright, Jim Calhoun. So it wasn’t their record in their first few years but the foundation they had laid down or the vision they convinced the powers that be they could make happen. IMO, proof close to all on this board was both Lavin and Mullin; on paper both had successful years in the season they were let go but both had to go (again my opinion), because neither had the PROGRAM in a good place going forward. Others may disagree.
To add, I also have no idea if we have a chance with Curbelo, my comment was more generic, that we just don’t have the juice to recruit with Kansas, etc. generally speaking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Frank61, Windy City Johnny Fan

Last edit: by Logen.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354243

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 14393
“In an overtime win over Game Elite, Curbello was fantastic. The high IQ point guard made some incredible passes, and really did a good job of controlling the game.”

Recruiting: Illinois, St. John's, West Virginia, Florida, Louisville, TCU, Kansas

247sports.com/college/basketball/recruit...erformers-133601294/
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, JohnnyFan

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354252

• redmannorth
  • Thank you received: 2312
CMA sitting almost Center court watching AC play against Dream Vision early this morning. AC with the bucket to just put them up and the win on the last play of the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, capmaker, panther2, L J S A, JohnnyFan, Patrick C ripdumaine

Last edit: by redmannorth.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354319

• redmannorth
Numerous high major coaches watching Andre and Zed this morning in the sweet 16. Mark Few, Boeheim, Tom Cream, Ed Cooley, etc. The list is long. Zed working very hard for positioning down low and quickly got his bigger defender to pick up 2 fouls.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354320

• redmannorth
And just saw CMA and Van Macon at the complete opposite end of the court from where I am sitting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo, Frank61, Delaware, JohnnyFan, NCJohnnie

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354322

• L J S A
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2340

redmannorth wrote: Numerous high major coaches watching Andre and Zed this morning in the sweet 16. Mark Few, Boeheim, Tom Cream, Ed Cooley, etc. The list is long. Zed working very hard for positioning down low and quickly got his bigger defender to pick up 2 fouls.

He's definitely special if he's gotten Few's attention. I don't think Gonzaga takes a dip in Northeast recruiting waters too often.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 3 months 1 week ago #354323

• panther2
  • Thank you received: 1521

Logen wrote: I have asked this question countless times with no reasonable answer because in reality, there is none. Why other than for personal reasons, a girlfriend as I believe Panther suggested or something of that nature, would a recruit at the level Curbelo has reached select SJU over a Kansas or even a Louisville? We have sprinkled a couple of semi-successful seasons amongst what is now decades of mediocrity and dysfunction. I love me some SJU basketball but IMO we are just not a logical destination for higher echelon recruits. Sad, but true. We need an Anderson, a guy willing to take on the challenge, willing to go to work, to restore us as a viable program first. I don’t like it any more than the next fanatic but that is the reality as I see it. And it is easy to criticize when we don’t land this level recruit so those who will pile on, tell me why players of that caliber should come to SJU? I am waiting..............

Not sure when the girlfriend angle was mentioned, lol. However, we can't afford not to go after a player of Curbelo's caliber. He is a local recruit which makes it easy to get him on campus and attend his games. He may like New York City and want to play here in college.

On the flip side, imagine the turmoil on this board if Coach Anderson and staff did not go after him. Remember, he is not the only point guard the staff is recruiting.

One thing that always gets me about Redmen.com is the contradictions. The staff is not recruiting local players, then, why is the staff recruiting a local player who probably won't come here. Y'all can't have it both ways.

I am delighted at the effort the staff is putting in recruiting so far. Recruiting is a long process, so I do not get caught up in who is watching who on a daily basis. How about we recognize the work the staff is putting in, let the process play out, and hope for the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, redmannorth, Room112, Paultzman, weathermannyc, REB, Moose, MJDinkins, MCNPA, MarkRedman and 5 other people also said thanks.

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight