Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Andre Curbelo, PG, Lutheran HS

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353854

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1451

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

Logen wrote:

austour wrote: I don't think Logan intimated that he didn't think CMA and staff should work hard. I'm pretty sure he expects them to as much as it appears they are. What he seemed to be saying is that hard work doesn't always pay off and ever more rarely does it pay off immediately yet folks come on here daily complaining about a lack of results in their first few months. I may be wrong.

Again, not saying that anyone should be complaining that we haven't signed kids yet, it is early and staff started late, totally get that. I am merely saying that they were given enough time to secure an excellent 2020 class. To this point, they've done everything that could possibly be asked of them to put us in best possible position and should be commended for that. But if it turns out that we swing and miss, I'm not giving a pass because they tried their best. That in no way means I want anyone fired and believe staff should be evaluated over same time frame (3-4 yrs) that everyone else does. As I'm typing, i acknowledge this debate has gotten nonsensical and idiotic. Let's just see it play out.

Your statement “they were given enough time to secure an excellent 2020 class” speaks volumes about your lack of understanding of recruiting. Relationships are developed and players are recruited over years, not months.

I'll acknowledge it raises the degree of difficulty.

That said, even Mull - er, Matt bagged Ponds in 6 months.

Also, all of our coaches are coming from jobs where they were all already recruiting D1 level talent - so they aren't starting from scratch.

So recruiting for Arkansas is the same as recruiting for St Johns? Different geography, different conference, different staff doesn’t change the recruiting dynamic? Even though there was only a month between Anderson being let go and being hired, you think recruits were waiting around seeing if Anderson landed elsewhere? You think any of the NY PGs were being recruited by Anderson for Arkansas? You think one player, Ponds, proves anything? All it proves is he was the exception since he was the only really impactful HS player Mullin and co. recruited. Look, you are entitled to your expectations, as I am my opinion of them. We disagree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, Zeeman, Patrick C ripdumaine, Windy City Johnny Fan, Tommy O 54

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353856

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 685

Logen wrote:

Logen wrote:

austour wrote: I don't think Logan intimated that he didn't think CMA and staff should work hard. I'm pretty sure he expects them to as much as it appears they are. What he seemed to be saying is that hard work doesn't always pay off and ever more rarely does it pay off immediately yet folks come on here daily complaining about a lack of results in their first few months. I may be wrong.

Again, not saying that anyone should be complaining that we haven't signed kids yet, it is early and staff started late, totally get that. I am merely saying that they were given enough time to secure an excellent 2020 class. To this point, they've done everything that could possibly be asked of them to put us in best possible position and should be commended for that. But if it turns out that we swing and miss, I'm not giving a pass because they tried their best. That in no way means I want anyone fired and believe staff should be evaluated over same time frame (3-4 yrs) that everyone else does. As I'm typing, i acknowledge this debate has gotten nonsensical and idiotic. Let's just see it play out.

Your statement “they were given enough time to secure an excellent 2020 class” speaks volumes about your lack of understanding of recruiting. Relationships are developed and players are recruited over years, not months.

Also, all of our coaches are coming from jobs where they were all already recruiting D1 level talent - so they aren't starting from scratch.

So recruiting for Arkansas is the same as recruiting for St Johns? Different geography, different conference, different staff doesn’t change the recruiting dynamic? Even though there was only a month between Anderson being let go and being hired, you think recruits were waiting around seeing if Anderson landed elsewhere? You think any of the NY PGs were being recruited by Anderson for Arkansas? You think one player, Ponds, proves anything? All it proves is he was the exception since he was the only really impactful HS player Mullin and co. recruited. Look, you are entitled to your expectations, as I am my opinion of them. We disagree.

Fair - so what are your expectations for 2020 class - what is reasonable in your view?
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexSTJ

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353858

• austour
  • Thank you received: 846

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote: To this point, they've done everything that could possibly be asked of them to put us in best possible position and should be commended for that.

. . . but people are still complaining. That's all that's being discussed.

If CMA brings in the guys he already had relationships with it will be the types of guys he would have brought to Arkansas. People will complain. If he decides to shift target to highly ranked player because MSG and tries to catch up but misses out on kids who already have longstanding relationships with other programs people will complain.

But I see a staff that's doing both and working their butts off. That's a step in the positive direction and I hope they do well but I for one will definitely give them a pass until the class of '21 to bring in a ranked class due to the situation as outlined above.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, Logen, Windy City Johnny Fan

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353860

• Logen

Logen wrote:

Logen wrote:

Fair - so what are your expectations for 2020 class - what is reasonable in your view?

Austour said it perfectly; I have no expectations for 2020. I also view recruiting maybe a little bit differently than many; to me, recruiting is somewhat meaningless until I see the result on the court. I don’t really care about stars and rankings that much. A less than satisfying answer but there it is. We put a very highly “rated” group on the court last year and IMO, so what, they were a borderline unwatchable, underachieving team. No chemistry, no sense of team, no sense of unity, no commitment to winning. So I find recruiting talk interesting, kind of like I enjoy bar talk; but for me, the only “proof”, the only thing that matters, is the team that winds up on the court. So I don’t really judge until after the “final exam.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan V, Windy City Johnny Fan

Last edit: by Logen.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353862

• JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2231
I must be lost. Can someone direct me to the Andre Curbelo thread?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mkras99, SJU85, Section9

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353867

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 3033

Paultzman wrote:

God knows everyone gets your point.

Paultz I seem to be irritating you lately. Did I open a recruit thread in the wrong format or something?

You didn’t open a recruiting thread wrong

You just opened your mouth :whistle:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Zeeman, Patrick C ripdumaine

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353869

• Logen

JohnnyFan wrote: I must be lost. Can someone direct me to the Andre Curbelo thread?

Gee, sorry......but not really. Just skip what you don’t find relevant to you, I do. I am here for discussion, however it comes about. Last time I looked you weren’t a mod so if you want to dictate what is posted, I suggest you volunteer.

Last edit: by Logen.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353874

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1181
Let's get back on topic. Maybe someone would like to open a more general discussion thread regarding recruiting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, JohnnyFan

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353875

• JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2231

Logen wrote:

JohnnyFan wrote: I must be lost. Can someone direct me to the Andre Curbelo thread?

Gee, sorry......but not really. Just skip what you don’t find relevant to you, I do. I am here for discussion, however it comes about. Last time I looked you weren’t a mod so if you want to dictate what is posted, I suggest you volunteer.

Post whatever you want. I just think there is probably a better thread to debate the proper level of expectation for the coaching staff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 4 months 1 week ago #353879

• Logen

JohnnyFan wrote:

Logen wrote:

Post whatever you want. I just think there is probably a better thread to debate the proper level of expectation for the coaching staff.

And when Paul or one of the mods directs it, I will comply. I don’t appreciate it coming from you. It evolved in this thread and sometimes back and forth discussions just go; that’s what happened here, nothing more, nothing less. You find it annoying, like I said, just skip it - no one forces you to read.

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight