Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Andre Curbelo, PG, Lutheran HS

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317380

• Section9
  • Thank you received: 402

ron wrote:

Room112 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Staff very high on Andre & working really hard on his recruitment.

After all the negativity, I went back and found this comment on page 10. This is not to call you out Paultz, but it seems like the staff has been working hard for awhile with this kid. We can only hope Mullin steps in soon to seal the deal.

Just curious. Does anyone know if Mullin has personally closed on any recruit?

No, never and he never will.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317385

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3105

Room112 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Staff very high on Andre & working really hard on his recruitment.

After all the negativity, I went back and found this comment on page 10. This is not to call you out Paultz, but it seems like the staff has been working hard for awhile with this kid. We can only hope Mullin steps in soon to seal the deal.

Mullin has a staff of TWO. Matt and Greg St. Jean. Richmond does not recruit unless he is traveling with Mullin somewhere. Greg is over his head trying to run a D1 basketball program. Matt is all over the map and Twitter trying to follow recruits.
Mullin makes cameo appearances with recruits. He wasn't available for the Femi visit and Matt didn't go out his way with Curbelo at the Marquettte game.
Personally I am not sure we are 100% after this kid.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317386

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 769

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

JohnnyFan wrote: Given the profile and mission of our program, Curbelo's worth reaches beyond his talent. This is exactly the type of kid that should be at or near the top of our priority list.

Mullin not having spoken to him (even after he attended the Marquette game at CA) is really tough to rationalize. At the end of the day, this is how Mullin operates and I don't expect he will ever adjust. Somehow we have managed to put together a strong roster, but the method of operation is maddening.

The fascinating thing to watch, as I have no doubt others have pointed out, is that our program is now under the direction of a man who has been helping to run the absolute Gold Standard in the field for the past 30 years in Cragg. Cragg need only draw from his own experiences at his prior job to know exactly how the "right way" to do things in this business is to be successful. This whole idea of CM being set in his ways / stubborn, whatever, simply cannot play here long term if Cragg is around unless we somehow become world beaters under the current approach (I'm skeptical). At some point soon (after this season perhaps), this will come to a head. If I were a betting man, CM will be told to fall in line in some manner (an assistant coach hire, being out recruiting more, whatever), he will have no interest in doing so and will walk, and that will be that. But we'll just have to wait and see, i'm just guessing.

You don’t have to be John Wooden to know if a recruit is at a game and the head coach doesn’t even talk to him, there is something wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun, ron

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317388

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 14982
There is genuine interest in Curbelo despite what was said above. If they packaged AC & Key that would further help in my opinion, but I don’t sense real interest in the latter.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317389

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 1109
Of course the recruits must be thinking wtf when the head coach doesn't meet them or talk to them, but think about the parents/guardians of these kids. I can just hear the conversation after a visit on the way home...what do you think would likely come up? "So I liked it but wasn't that weird the head coach wasn't available?". Mullin has to realize that other coaches are willing to do almost anything to land recruits these days. He must be willing to do the bare minimum. Otherwise that's a real problem. Need to get this kid or we will be thinking what if again.

Last edit: by Mike Zaun.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317392

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 2413

Paultzman wrote: There is genuine interest in Curbelo despite what was said above. If they packaged AC & Key that would further help in my opinion, but I don’t sense real interest in the latter.

Seems silly not to package them. We have players on roster right now who won't have the impact at this level that Key would.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gonzalo

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317393

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 1434

L J S A wrote:

Paultzman wrote: There is genuine interest in Curbelo despite what was said above. If they packaged AC & Key that would further help in my opinion, but I don’t sense real interest in the latter.

Seems silly not to package them. We have players on roster right now who won't have the impact at this level that Key would.

I would take both of them in a heartbeat
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, gonzalo, L J S A, JohnnyFan

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317398

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 251
Perhaps he just doesn’t want to work hard lol

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317404

• Class of 72

I have no doubt that there is interest. I'm not sure we are in hot pursuit. There will be a ton of players emerging by 2020 but there is no doubt that this kid is a pure point guard who will thrive in the open court.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Last edit: by Class of 72.

Andre Curbelo, LI Lutheran, NY 9 months 2 weeks ago #317405

• Class of 72

Mike Zaun wrote: Of course the recruits must be thinking wtf when the head coach doesn't meet them or talk to them, but think about the parents/guardians of these kids. I can just hear the conversation after a visit on the way home...what do you think would likely come up? "So I liked it but wasn't that weird the head coach wasn't available?". Mullin has to realize that other coaches are willing to do almost anything to land recruits these days. He must be willing to do the bare minimum. Otherwise that's a real problem. Need to get this kid or we will be thinking what if again.

Mike, AC attending a game at St. John's is very different from the botched Femi visit. I could be wrong but Curbelo being a junior can attend any games on campus but I don't think Mullin is allowed to discuss anything with him relating to recruiting. Matt couldn't go out of his way either and the only interaction could be with players on a casual basis.
Again, I could be wrong but I don't think Mullin was at fault here for the record.
The following user(s) said Thank You: richard A Steinfeld

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight