Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351833

• SJ_NYC
  • Thank you received: 176

Paultzman wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

Chicago Days wrote: Heh?!?
As a convert to keeping threads on topic, lemme say that the Van Zyl ‘option’ is looking dire, at present, for many reasons including pursuit by Vandy and Cincy.
PG talk, as an alternative topic, anybody?

It’s a sad day indeed when pursuit by Vandy and Cincy makes a prospect “dire.” Serious question: how can we ever hope to be successful if we can’t recruit against the likes of schools at that level?

Judge that with 2020 class. If they bomb out with no quality kids in that pursuit, you will have company. Too soon to assess in the few months of new regime imo. Just me, but I think they do very well with 2020 recruitment.

Six years... that's how long the new coach gets.... one shouldn't even begin to start evaluating recruiting for another two seasons. Highschool kids have to see for themselves what kind offense / defense it'll look like. Next year is way too early to start panicking about recruiting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Logen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351834

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 3443
I am optimistic about staff's chance of success over next several years because (a) Coach Anderson has a long record of success in a very tough conference, (b) he has assembled an excellent staff three deep with experienced recruiters and (c) they clearly work hard and emphasize team ball. Obviously, the proof will be in the pudding and it is always possible we will be disappointed but at this point I don't think we will be. I agree with Paultz that this year is not the year to judge the staff's recruiting prowess - 2020 and 2021 will be more indicative.
As far as 2019-2020, I am happy to watch the staff fill out the roster with a couple of kids they judge to be good fits (they're far better judges of who that may be than me) and watch us play a competitive, fast-paced brand of ball where we defend like crazy and make teams uncomfortable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, redmanwest, gonzalo

Last edit: by NCJohnnie.

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351835

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 399

Boo Harvey wrote:

As a convert to keeping threads on topic, lemme say that the Van Zyl ‘option’ is looking dire, at present, for many reasons including pursuit by Vandy and Cincy.

It’s a sad day indeed when pursuit by Vandy and Cincy makes a prospect “dire.” Serious question: how can we ever hope to be successful if we can’t recruit against the likes of schools at that level?

Just because we are at a recruiting disadvantage TODAY doesn't mean that will always be the case.

A student in HS might be the smartest kid in his class but that doesn't mean he's ready to fly a plane, or perform brain surgery. There's a process that gets him from where he is today to the point that he's capable of doing those types of things.

Same is true for building a college basketball program. Unless you believe its impossible to get better at something and improve your skills/knowledge base. If that's the case, then don't leave your house. The world will eat you alive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2, NCJohnnie

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351836

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1254

Boo Harvey wrote:

Serious answer, Cincy has been a much better program than SJU for a number of years now. We have little to hang our hats on other than our history and that means next to nothing to today's generation. How do you turn it around? Stabilize the program and win. As simple and complex as that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, redmanwest, MCNPA

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351837

• Boo Harvey
  • Thank you received: 233

Logen wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

Serious answer, Cincy has been a much better program than SJU for a number of years now. We have little to hang our hats on other than our history and that means next to nothing to today's generation. How do you turn it around? Stabilize the program and win. As simple and complex as that.

Tough to do that if you are landing exclusively mid major kids. I understand that through no fault of their own, staff was well behind the eight ball for the upcoming class. But recruiting absolutely has to pick up for 2020 for us to have a chance to right this ship.

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351838

• redmannorth
  • Thank you received: 2157

Boo Harvey wrote:

When I take off my St. John’s jaded tinted glasses I have to accept that Cincy has been much more successful than SJU as of late and that Vanderbilt is an excellent academic school in an excellent conference. This past season they had a fantastic Canadian out of Toronto Simisola Shitu and they have a new coach that spent extensive time in Toronto with the Raptors. Perhaps Simisola and Austin are friends ? Perhaps Jerry Stackhouse has a prior relationship with Austin , Austin’s parents, Austin’s high school coach, his AAU coach ? Far too many realistic probabilities for us to get bent out of shape as to why he would favour Cincy or Vanderbilt over SJU. Too many unknowns occur in recruiting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351843

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 1254

Boo Harvey wrote:

Logen wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

Tough to do that if you are landing exclusively mid major kids. I understand that through no fault of their own, staff was well behind the eight ball for the upcoming class. But recruiting absolutely has to pick up for 2020 for us to have a chance to right this ship.

We need players who can play, period. I don’t care what the number next to their name is, I really don’t. Not aimed at you at all, but the obsession with rankings and numbers on this board is absurd to me. I will judge the product Anderson and co. put on the floor and nothing else.

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351844

• Big Red
  • Thank you received: 92

Logen wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

Logen wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

We need players who can play, period. I don’t care what the number next to their name is, I really don’t. Not aimed at you at all, but the obsession with rankings and numbers on this board is absurd to me. I will judge the product Anderson and co. put on the floor and nothing else.

Only numbers that matter are in that W and L column at the end of the day.

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351848

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2551

redmannorth wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

When I take off my St. John’s jaded tinted glasses I have to accept that Cincy has been much more successful than SJU as of late and that Vanderbilt is an excellent academic school in an excellent conference. This past season they had a fantastic Canadian out of Toronto Simisola Shitu and they have a new coach that spent extensive time in Toronto with the Raptors. Perhaps Simisola and Austin are friends ? Perhaps Jerry Stackhouse has a prior relationship with Austin , Austin’s parents, Austin’s high school coach, his AAU coach ? Far too many realistic probabilities for us to get bent out of shape as to why he would favour Cincy or Vanderbilt over SJU. Too many unknowns occur in recruiting.

I think Van Zyl once played for Stackhouse in AAU when in HS. Don't know of connections to Cincy, if any. Just 2 more HM programs pursuing him, along with favorite, Indiana. Just heard about Van Zyl rapping with those 2 and was humorously trying to get thread back on track. That's all.
But it is what it is and no big deal. As others here have said, just great DeMeo even reached out to the guy.
I trust CMA and Staff to get the best available players they can recruit at this point. They sure the heck are working hard.
Nice to see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 3 months 1 week ago #351857

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 599

SJ_NYC wrote:

Paultzman wrote:

Boo Harvey wrote:

Judge that with 2020 class. If they bomb out with no quality kids in that pursuit, you will have company. Too soon to assess in the few months of new regime imo. Just me, but I think they do very well with 2020 recruitment.

Six years... that's how long the new coach gets.... one shouldn't even begin to start evaluating recruiting for another two seasons. Highschool kids have to see for themselves what kind offense / defense it'll look like. Next year is way too early to start panicking about recruiting.

" Highschool kids have to see for themselves what kind offense / defense it'll look like."

Ummm Can't they just Youtube his Mizzou and Arkansas teams to see whjat the off/def will look like?

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight