Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 6 days ago #351369

• jpm114
  • Thank you received: 76

Moose wrote:

Patrick C ripdumaine wrote:

Moose wrote:

Patrick C ripdumaine wrote: Lefty, can shoot and has excellent court vision per a friend who played Pro in France

Does your friend like SJU. Make him put in a good word

Will Daniel's, yes he wanted to play for us even had a tattoo Jarvis quit recruiting and Baron stayed on him and he ended up having a good career at Rhode Island

Def remember him

Have to say the story of the tattoo just kills me because it illustrates a big problem in St. John's recruiting approach, that they don't get far enough North as they should because there are plenty of good players there and Will went to school of course at FDR in Duchess County. I remember thinking that it was almost fitting that he'd go to Rhody because his game reminded me of Sly Williams. He was about 6'7" and liked to play on the baseline. In college he was kind of an undersized tough guy and there were some who thought that he was better suited for the A-10. I thought he would've had a fine career in the Big East so to find out he had a St. John's tattoo and that they stopped recruiting him is hard to swallow even years later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Paultzman, SJU85, Moose, gonzalo, L J S A, Patrick C ripdumaine, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 6 days ago #351370

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2546

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

L J S A wrote:

Moose wrote:

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote: Are there any '19 / '20 kids making imminent commitments / visits or for whom we feel like we have a 50/50 or better chance at this point? Asking for a completely psychotic friend.

Who's the friend?

Cindy Wity Fohnny Jan. She's probably really nice in real life, but gets antsy when it's June and we have one PG.

Yes - I just spoke to Cindy again and he is quite anxious about the lack of experienced PG and thinks we're also short one experienced big. Also thinks while it's nice that we have this great staff and that they operate in stealth mode and all that, that it would be great if we started to hear some real news about '19 guys and prime '20 guys who we are in prime position for - something more concrete than posting year old articles about guys that may or may not even go to college and if they do have 20 other suitors. Cindy's a little insane if you ask me.

Ah that made my day, Windy.
Thinking you and Cindy are really really close.
Gotta laugh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Windy City Johnny Fan

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 6 days ago #351373

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 225
Just mo but we have a bigger front court and more exp up front ,yes we have a freshman pg but if coach and staff see something than I am fine .perhaps he surprises and with the other players coming aboard ,think we have a stronger team this y looking forward to the start of the season

Q
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Fred Solomon

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 6 days ago #351375

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 1593
Not a knock to say that the Kid looks very young to be a full time starting PG in Div I basketball regardless of his height. Better for him and us that he gets PT gradually and develops over 4 years.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 5 days ago #351402

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 828

Paul Massell wrote: Not a knock to say that the Kid looks very young to be a full time starting PG in Div I basketball regardless of his height. Better for him and us that he gets PT gradually and develops over 4 years.

Great pix of three young men WHO (apparently) WANT TO BE HERE!!!
Players who we beg to commit need not apply.
Players who are doing us a favor by playing here need not apply etc.
Players who won't buy into our new AD, Coach and program also need not commit.
all the best
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacane, firestorm, Chicago Days

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 5 days ago #351405

• AlBovino
  • Thank you received: 111
Fans who don't buy into our new AD, Coach and program should just shut up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fred Solomon, Dan V

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 5 days ago #351424

• austour
  • Thank you received: 737

AlBovino wrote: Fans who don't buy into our new AD, Coach and program should just shut up.

It's good to see your unconditional support was not just immature hero worship at least.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Moose, Class of 72, L J S A, Dan V

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 5 days ago #351439

• AlBovino
  • Thank you received: 111
I am a fan of the St. john's basketball program. I support whomever is the head coach. Personal attacks on Coach Mullin were disgusting and unwarranted. Too many of the posters on this site are little babies who want immediate gratification. Also, I don't need any of your back handed platitudes as to who I support or worship. Go to hell!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: austour, Fred Solomon

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 5 days ago #351445

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2546
Me...I'm burning incense, hoping beyond hope we win the Van Zyl 'lottery', which probably has similar odds to winning 'Powerball'. Lol.
Seems like the entire state of Indiana 'follows' the guy.
Oh well.

Austin Van Zyl, PG, Canada 1 week 5 days ago #351449

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 12782

Chicago Days wrote: Me...I'm burning incense, hoping beyond hope we win the Van Zyl 'lottery', which probably has similar odds to winning 'Powerball'. Lol.
Seems like the entire state of Indiana 'follows' the guy.
Oh well.

SJ in the game, not sure anyone has offered him yet. Maybe DeMeo will be the”closer” you often reference. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter