Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC (SJU Commit)

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 5 months 1 day ago #298341

• Windy City Johnny Fan
  • Thank you received: 531

SJU85 wrote:

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote:

MCNPA wrote:

Windy City Johnny Fan wrote: On the one hand, based on the limited information available there appears to be a ton of baggage here. That said, while we assume the worst with HS recruits based on recent track record, I think the staff has earned the benefit of the doubt on the positive side with transfer candidates with all the recent home runs.

Lol, how does almost zero info equal a “ton of baggage”? That’s like talking to a mute and assuming he’s an a-hole because he had nothing to say!

Well, from I'm reading online:

1. He was home schooled
2. Left at some point during his freshman year at Stephen F. Austin
3. Reading multiple posts from folks saying he "had a lot of growing up to do" etc.
4. At some point committed to Hutchinson Community College, another JUCO (Bash went there) and again left without playing a game
5. Now he's at another Community College, Salt Lake CC

Would you be more comfortable if I said he has "some baggage"?

1. Tim Tebow and Blake Griffin were home schooled. Even without naming those two, not sure why that equates to baggage.

2. Jamal Branch left during his freshman year after five or six games and transferred here. Was there baggage? I know others both scholarship athletes and non athletes who left their initial schools during their freshman year. Sometimes because they screwed up, other times because they weren't happy. Heck I know of one scholarship athlete who simply decided not to show up and another one I know personally who left after three days.

3. A lot of freshman still have some growing up to do, heck based on their posts, there are a few posters on this Board I could say the same thing about. It could explain why he left when he did, does not necessarily mean he has a bad attitude or causes problem. D'Angelo Harrison had some anger management problems, so might say he had some growing up to do. How many on this Board would signup for another D'Lo drecurit type right now (note not saying he is just using it as an example)?

4. .L.J Figueroa played for three high schools, enrolled in the 2nd semester at New Mexico State and then transferred the next fall to a Juco. Any concerns about baggage here?

5. Wasn't happy at previous stop again doesn't mean baggage.

Could he have baggage, I have no idea but nothing you laid out means he does.

You make some fair points. I retract my original post and acknowledge it was an assumption based on fairly limited and unsubstantiated information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 5 months 1 day ago #298343

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 1303
I've known a lot of home school kids and they are as a group the most impressive children in our country. Well spoken, well educated and for the most part attentive parents not all stage moms and super spelling bee geeks. The spelling bee phenomena is just a natural result of home school kids being WAY better educated the past 30 years than the vast majority of public and private schooling. Only truly ignorant today write off home school kids as social misfits. Totally untrue. Just the opposite in fact. Put your average home school kid in a social situation and another kid who has spent their life in a video game and take a wild guess which one can hold their own much less utter more than a few grunts and eye rolls if you are lucky.
“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Logen

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 5 months 1 day ago #298352

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 1305

Dan V wrote: I trust the staff on this one.

I agree, I trust Matt on these matters. The offer is either a favor (which helps maintain productive relationships with coaches and programs) or they believe he is a diamond in the rough.

We do have a track record of unearthing obscure talent that subsequently blows up.

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 5 months 18 hours ago #298396

• RedStormNC
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 811
Hard to judge here, but if we're gambling, why not see if the homegrown kid Dashawn Davis would commit ?

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 5 months 17 hours ago #298399

• MCNPA
  • Thank you received: 631

RedStormNC wrote: Hard to judge here, but if we're gambling, why not see if the homegrown kid Dashawn Davis would commit ?

I’m not sure all of this is gambling... Maybe they don’t care for Davis?? SJU doesn’t seem very interested. I read somewhere he may have eligibility issues as well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormNC

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 4 months 3 weeks ago #299081

• gman
  • Thank you received: 449
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, capmaker

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 4 months 3 weeks ago #299091

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 1043
Think that is smack in the middle of the one week early signing period which could mean he is a lean to us if he intends to sign early.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kranmars, Paultzman

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 4 months 3 weeks ago #299094

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 2546
Would assume he'd also be team's guest at Legends Classic games on the 19th and 20th which will hopefully get him excited enough to commit on the spot.

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 4 months 3 weeks ago #299101

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9816
Per Salt Lake City CC Twitter Acct
6’2” PG Cam Mack will be visiting Washington St (Oct 26) & St Johns (Nov 18)

Cameron Mack, G, Salt Lake City CC 4 months 3 weeks ago #299111

• Chicago Days
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1767
Kinda depends on 'who' is doing the 'home schooling', no?
Like what's the curriculum being taught, and are the kids / is this kid, 'tested'?
And social integration issues may be more an 'issue' with 'home schooled' kids, because if the home front ain't 'healthy', watch out.
Some personality issues are 'hammered out' in the flux and grind of socializing in schools.
Home schooled kids do not go through that process of socialization day-in and day-out.
So, it 'could be' more an issue or not--if the home front is a healthy environment.
Depends.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter