Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285056

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 1162

RedStormNC wrote: Thanks panther...

at 6'4" or 6'5"... what spot do you see him starting at in a few years ?

more likely to slim down from 240 or so, or keep his weight and get stronger ?

If we were talking NBA I'd be skeptical, but I definitely think you can get away with a 6'5" PF in college. Lack of ups is actually a bigger concern than his height. But there are ways around that -- such as having a 6'11" 280 pound center next to him, along with a 6'8" SF. I know who the center is. We just have to land him. Don't know who that SF is, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by L J S A. Reason: grammatical mistake

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285057

• Dan V
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 156

L J S A wrote:

RedStormNC wrote: Thanks panther...

at 6'4" or 6'5"... what spot do you see him starting at in a few years ?

more likely to slim down from 240 or so, or keep his weight and get stronger ?

If we were talking NBA I'd be skeptical, but I definitely think you can get away with a 6'5" PF in college.

Yes, watch us do it next year with Marvin Clark. Tom Izzo is like the master of the 6'5/6'6" PFs.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285058

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 208

TobinGrad wrote: He's 6-5. Will always be a limited player on this level.

at 260 lbs, may be a good rebounder with good technique, but will never be a consistent scorer unless he has a jumper. And will never be able to defend the post no matter how hard he works.

ND, Bonzi Colson and his opponents might disagree with you on that. He is an exception but he made it happen.

Hopefully Earlington can do something similar.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285059

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 208

Sherman, Sheridan & Grant wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Former D1 Coach who knows his game well indicated he thinks ME will be a solid complementary player and great teammate at SJU in time.

Hopefully “in time” is something fan base can be patient with. We do tend to overshoot reasonable expectations at times. The kid has only recently made hoops his sole athletic concentration.

Ahhh, patience :)

Yeah something posters on this board are known for :whistle:

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285066

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 394
Not sure why people are still hung up on “who’s the 4, who’s the 5, etc.” when it is clear Mullin does not employ the conventional approach to positions. Argue with the approach, but Mullin is not the only coach employing that strategy. He wants players not positions. Again, I can certainly understand disagreeing with the approach but it is proven you can win with this style. It, of course, remains to be seen if Mullin will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT, SigEpSJU09, Chicago Days, Dan V

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285069

• redmanwest
  • Thank you received: 113
Yes, agreed, but it is still basketball. You still need guys who can shoot the ball, handle the ball, rebound, defend the post, etc. Call the players what you want, but there are still certain things that need to be done. A lot of what people are reacting to is that everyone (even the staff if reports form our most trusted posters are true) knew and wanted to go out and get more size. But whiffed 2 years in a row. So, the "Mullin don't play that" stuff is maybe true to an extent, but maybe also a rationalization due to the fact that you have to play with what you've got, so why gnash about what you don't have. Mullin and staff have actually expended an enormous amount of time and energy trying to get big men, so that sort of dispels the idea that Mullin somehow plays or wants to play a wholly different brand of basketball. Even those teams that are playing similar style as Mullin seems to like (e.g., Villanova) still have several serviceable big men. Basketball is basketball.

Logen wrote: Not sure why people are still hung up on “who’s the 4, who’s the 5, etc.” when it is clear Mullin does not employ the conventional approach to positions. Argue with the approach, but Mullin is not the only coach employing that strategy. He wants players not positions. Again, I can certainly understand disagreeing with the approach but it is proven you can win with this style. It, of course, remains to be seen if Mullin will.

The following user(s) said Thank You: kranmars, Paultzman, mjmaherjr, bamafan, Chicago Days, Dan V, NCJohnnie

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285075

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 133
Depends IF HE.REALLY DEVELOPS his outside shot. After all Jordan was 6-4 lol

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285180

• Logen
  • Thank you received: 394

redmanwest wrote: Yes, agreed, but it is still basketball. You still need guys who can shoot the ball, handle the ball, rebound, defend the post, etc. Call the players what you want, but there are still certain things that need to be done. A lot of what people are reacting to is that everyone (even the staff if reports form our most trusted posters are true) knew and wanted to go out and get more size. But whiffed 2 years in a row. So, the "Mullin don't play that" stuff is maybe true to an extent, but maybe also a rationalization due to the fact that you have to play with what you've got, so why gnash about what you don't have. Mullin and staff have actually expended an enormous amount of time and energy trying to get big men, so that sort of dispels the idea that Mullin somehow plays or wants to play a wholly different brand of basketball. Even those teams that are playing similar style as Mullin seems to like (e.g., Villanova) still have several serviceable big men. Basketball is basketball.

Logen wrote: Not sure why people are still hung up on “who’s the 4, who’s the 5, etc.” when it is clear Mullin does not employ the conventional approach to positions. Argue with the approach, but Mullin is not the only coach employing that strategy. He wants players not positions. Again, I can certainly understand disagreeing with the approach but it is proven you can win with this style. It, of course, remains to be seen if Mullin will.

I am not saying size that can play is not a good thing, of course it is. I am saying that size for size sake is not a good thing. Yes, the staff tried to recruit big players that could play and failed, I agree. Knock them for it, no problem. But recognize that SJU is not recruiting from a position of strength, many here don’t like hearing it, but that is the reality. I never once said the staff hasn’t tried or shouldn’t try to recruit big players. But they want big players who can play a quick, fluid game, not big players who just clog the middle. What I object to is what I consider to be the ridiculous narrative that this staff doesn’t recruit. I have never said this staff is perfect, far from it, but some of those “most trusted posters” were the ones preaching patience, patience, patience when Mullin was hired and some have turned pretty quickly from that. None of these “trusted posters” IMO acknowledge the historically, yes, historically inept, non-roster this staff inherited just three years . Again, I understand most don’t want to hear it but building a program from scratch is hard, it takes time and it took time for the best of the best to do it inheriting programs light years ahead of where we were. Somehow the “trusted posters” never acknowledge that perspective. Call me arrogant, call me whatever you want, I think Mullin and co. have done a pretty good job rebuilding this program from NOTHING to something in a short time. Now we need to keep improving year by year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlBovino, Section9, jackfro, shamsman2, Amaseinyourface

Last edit: by Logen.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 1 week ago #285191

• bamafan
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 595

Logen wrote:

redmanwest wrote: Yes, agreed, but it is still basketball. You still need guys who can shoot the ball, handle the ball, rebound, defend the post, etc. Call the players what you want, but there are still certain things that need to be done. A lot of what people are reacting to is that everyone (even the staff if reports form our most trusted posters are true) knew and wanted to go out and get more size. But whiffed 2 years in a row. So, the "Mullin don't play that" stuff is maybe true to an extent, but maybe also a rationalization due to the fact that you have to play with what you've got, so why gnash about what you don't have. Mullin and staff have actually expended an enormous amount of time and energy trying to get big men, so that sort of dispels the idea that Mullin somehow plays or wants to play a wholly different brand of basketball. Even those teams that are playing similar style as Mullin seems to like (e.g., Villanova) still have several serviceable big men. Basketball is basketball.

I am not saying size that can play is not a good thing, of course it is. I am saying that size for size sake is not a good thing. Yes, the staff tried to recruit big players that could play and failed, I agree. Knock them for it, no problem. But recognize that SJU is not recruiting from a position of strength, many here don’t like hearing it, but that is the reality. I never once said the staff hasn’t tried or shouldn’t try to recruit big players. But they want big players who can play a quick, fluid game, not big players who just clog the middle. What I object to is what I consider to be the ridiculous narrative that this staff doesn’t recruit. I have never said this staff is perfect, far from it, but some of those “most trusted posters” were the ones preaching patience, patience, patience when Mullin was hired and some have turned pretty quickly from that. None of these “trusted posters” IMO acknowledge the historically, yes, historically inept, non-roster this staff inherited just three years . Again, I understand most don’t want to hear it but building a program from scratch is hard, it takes time and it took time for the best of the best to do it inheriting programs light years ahead of where we were. Somehow the “trusted posters” never acknowledge that perspective. Call me arrogant, call me whatever you want, I think Mullin and co. have done a pretty good job rebuilding this program from NOTHING to something in a short time. Now we need to keep improving year by year.

We can't call you want we want (on this board anymore anyway). ;) :) Actually your post was good just as long as staff is working hard on recruiting.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 5 months 6 days ago #285235

• Sju grad 13
  • Thank you received: 224
I’m not sure if this has been brought up, but 24/7 re-ranked Earlington (for basketball). They currently have him as a three star prospect.

That’s very impressive since he just started playing basketball seriously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth, Room112, richard A Steinfeld, alexander salem, NCJohnnie

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2

ATTENTION:

Major updates were made to the servers / software hosting redmen.com. There was also one significant change to the website this week to address keeping up with current standards and practices.

It has now become standard practice for all websites to be served as https (as opposed to the original http).

A couple of years ago I enabled https on the site as optional but as of today, the site is forcing https. Any link coming into the site should be automatically converted on the fly and you should not have to do anything on your end.

However if you do notice recent problems, please contact me directly via email: webmaster@redmen.com or via private message on the site.

Also if you have forgotten your username and/or password here are two links to address that (the links only work if you are not currently logged in):

forgot username:

forgot password:

Please consider a recurring monthly contribution.
Help Support Redmen.com
Thank you, Paul