Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Ramel Lloyd Jr. SG, Dream City Christian Academy 2 weeks 6 days ago #389682

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 3550

L J S A wrote: I can't remember who it was, but I'm pretty sure it was a Cincy big -- Fortson or Wingfield maybe -- who said they regretted not going to a HBCU because they never truly felt like they fit in where they were.

My niece is a professor of Economics at Cal-Berkely. When I visited once I felt like I didn't fit in. Every other student was Asian. ;)
Luckily we don't have the same problem at St. John's where the student population is well represented culturally.
By race/ethnicity, 9,928 White, 2,689 Black and 2,864 Asian students out of total 21,635 are attending at St John's University.
That doesn't prevent the most talented black students going to schools like Kentucky or UNC where black students make less than 8 percent of the population.
For the same reason they don't come to St. John's, they don't attend black colleges. To suggest black players should attend historically black colleges borders on racism from a different perspective. Maybe 100 years from now we won't need black colleges, a Black Entertainment Network, AME churches, black only fraternities and sororities, and race won't even be a category in questionnaires. There may be so much inter-marriage that racial categorization will not be necessary.
Eh, who am I kidding.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Ramel Lloyd Jr. SG, Dream City Christian Academy 2 weeks 3 days ago #389938

• Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 19088
Staff spoke to Lloyd family yesterday
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, Patrick C ripdumaine, ShrekII

Ramel Lloyd Jr. SG, Dream City Christian Academy 1 week 8 hours ago #391035

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 1100

redmannorth wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: This may trend
Ramel Lloyd Jr:

“With the state of our country, pandemic, and social injustice I have decided to stay home in California for the remaining two years of high school. Our family views and situation has changed. Thank you.“

I think that is going to be a more common thing in the near future. Oddly, it could benefit us if it happens.

Saw someone suggest on twitter that if they really want to bring about change and drive out institutional racism, all black athletes should enroll only in HBCU's. They'll still have their path to the pro careers they are pursuing but they would force change on the NCAA and in states that have embraced institutionalized racism.

It's a fascinating suggestion. Could you imagine what the SEC (and other conferences) would look like if it could only field teams of white football/basketball players? The power ($$) in college sports would literally shift overnight.

Does any of us remember the last time we saw Howard University or Southern University or Prairie View on national tv ? I certainly cannot.
If all of the HBCUs just got three 3* players a year they would become very strong programs and would raise the profile and financial status of their schools greatly. If they started to get 4 and 5 star players the balance of power in college ball and money would shift overnight and the HBCU schools would generate a ton of additional revenue which hopefully could be used for a multitude of good reasons.

Putting this here since this is where the subject was brought up...

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...basketball-prospects
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth

Ramel Lloyd Jr. SG, Dream City Christian Academy 1 week 6 hours ago #391042

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 2965

SJUFAN2 wrote:

redmannorth wrote:

SJUFAN2 wrote:

Paultzman wrote: This may trend
Ramel Lloyd Jr:

“With the state of our country, pandemic, and social injustice I have decided to stay home in California for the remaining two years of high school. Our family views and situation has changed. Thank you.“

I think that is going to be a more common thing in the near future. Oddly, it could benefit us if it happens.

Saw someone suggest on twitter that if they really want to bring about change and drive out institutional racism, all black athletes should enroll only in HBCU's. They'll still have their path to the pro careers they are pursuing but they would force change on the NCAA and in states that have embraced institutionalized racism.

It's a fascinating suggestion. Could you imagine what the SEC (and other conferences) would look like if it could only field teams of white football/basketball players? The power ($$) in college sports would literally shift overnight.

Does any of us remember the last time we saw Howard University or Southern University or Prairie View on national tv ? I certainly cannot.
If all of the HBCUs just got three 3* players a year they would become very strong programs and would raise the profile and financial status of their schools greatly. If they started to get 4 and 5 star players the balance of power in college ball and money would shift overnight and the HBCU schools would generate a ton of additional revenue which hopefully could be used for a multitude of good reasons.

Putting this here since this is where the subject was brought up...

www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/sto...basketball-prospects

I hope this has legs. Over the years, I've been baffled that 4* / 5* athletes flood the football and basketball programs of Southern Colleges--the likes of Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, Tennessee, et al,
This might be the time that begins to shift.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmannorth

Moderators: mkras99espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight