Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Staten Island campus to end university housing 2 weeks 1 day ago #420574

• Proud Alumn
  • Thank you received: 37
I don't think it is accurate to say the SI students are equal or exceed the Queens ones academically. The last statistics I saw, the SI numbers (SAT, HS grades), were significantly lower. There is also a big culture difference there that is not a positive thing for the University. There are other colleges on Staten Island, SJU should focus on Manhattan and Queens and the international campuses. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sju grad 13

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Staten Island campus to end university housing 2 weeks 13 hours ago #420673

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 478
Sometimes it is not just about the money; educating working class kids is a noble mission whether in Queens or on Staten Island. Sending almost 2,000 students away is not something I want to see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: fuchsia

Staten Island campus to end university housing 2 weeks 11 hours ago #420704

• Proud Alumn
So we should have lower standards to admit anyone who is "working class"? And thus lower our reputation and opportunities for our grads who are top students (and are also working class)? I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

Staten Island campus to end university housing 1 week 6 days ago #421290

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • Thank you received: 2515
I have met more than a few S.I. grads who were accounting majors and they are all great reps of the university

Couple of things to keep in mind re the S.I. campus for better or worse:

It's the only Catholic college on S.I. and

Many S.I. students (or potential students) would not dream of crossing the bridge to travel to the Queens campus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrookJersey Redmen

Staten Island campus to end university housing 1 week 5 days ago #421361

• SI1996
  • Thank you received: 400
I did graduate from the SI campus in 96 hence the name SI1996. Was a Computer Science/Mathematics major.  I couldn't get all the advanced courses I needed so I went to Queens for a few classes. I worked in the computer lab on the SI campus for 4 years. Have very fond  memories of those days. Would be sad to see it close. I have met, from both campuses, very successful people from all walks of life so I think its silly to compare the two. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: jerseyshorejohnny, BrookJersey Redmen, L J S A, RedStormNC

Staten Island campus to end university housing 1 week 4 days ago #421499

• BrookJersey Redmen

Proud Alumn wrote: So we should have lower standards to admit anyone who is "working class"? And thus lower our reputation and opportunities for our grads who are top students (and are also working class)? I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Proud Alum, you can disagree wholeheartedly, but I think you missed my point.

I am not advocating for lower standards or damaging our reputation, that is the last thing I would want to happen.

My thinking is we can have the best of both worlds; raise the standards and still keep educating Brooklyn, Staten Island and NJ students of all backgrounds. St. John's on Staten Island has a long, proud history of graduates going onto great success in many different fields, and I would like to see that continue.

In my class on Staten Island alone we had four Regis High School grads who picked St. John's over many other colleges. They went on to great things, burnishing our reputation, not damaging it.

Last edit: by BrookJersey Redmen.

Staten Island campus to end university housing 1 week 4 days ago #421508

• Proud Alumn

BrookJersey Redmen wrote:

Proud Alumn wrote: So we should have lower standards to admit anyone who is "working class"? And thus lower our reputation and opportunities for our grads who are top students (and are also working class)? I disagree with you wholeheartedly.

I am not advocating for lower standards or damaging our reputation, that is the last thing I would want to happen.

My thinking is we can have the best of both worlds; raise the standards and still keep educating Brooklyn, Staten Island and NJ students of all backgrounds. St. John's on Staten Island has a long, proud history of graduates going onto great success in many different fields, and I would like to see that continue.

In my class on Staten Island alone we had four Regis High School grads who picked St. John's over many other colleges. They went on to great things, burnishing our reputation, not damaging it.

The Staten Island campus brings down the University's SAT and HS grades profile. That hurts the reputation. Anecdotal occasional success stories don't change that. In order to elevate the standards of the Staten Island campus, it wouldn't have enough enrollment to justify the costs. And there have been serious problems with the social climate at that campus. I don't think SJU will exit it entirely, but I would like to see that. Reallocate the resources and enhance the academic standing of the overall University.

Last edit: by Proud Alumn.

Staten Island campus to end university housing 1 week 4 days ago #421512

• SI1996
  • Thank you received: 400

Proud Alumn wrote:

BrookJersey Redmen wrote:

The Staten Island campus brings down the University's SAT and HS grades profile. That hurts the reputation. Anecdotal occasional success stories don't change that. In order to elevate the standards of the Staten Island campus, it wouldn't have enough enrollment to justify the costs. And there have been serious problems with the social climate at that campus. I don't think SJU will exit it entirely, but I would like to see that. Reallocate the resources and enhance the academic standing of the overall University.

You have facts to support that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: BrookJersey Redmen

Staten Island campus to end university housing 1 week 4 days ago #421513

• BrookJersey Redmen
I think the SATs and HS grade profiles might be lower than Queens (IDK), but of course, there is a huge debate about each of these different criterion, and many schools discount or don't even consider some of them, so, using them entirely might be unthinking.

Proud Alum, I guess you went to the Queens campus, but I am afraid your slightly veiled references to "reputation" and "social climate" put me off somewhat. I know for one thing, the Staten Island campus did not have the Lacrosse fiasco that crushed our reputation many years ago. Nor did it have the BB players in Pittsburgh nightmare that brought disreupute to our University. I could go on but won't.

I hate to go back and forth, but an "elitist" feeling about the SATs, and HS Grades, and the "social climate" on Staten Island is not something I want to be the hill I die on, (apparently, not-so), Proud Alum.

This proud Staten Island Grad went on to get a scholarship to the QUEENS Law School at St. John's and is proud of both parts of our great University. My wife is a double SI and Queens grad too (earning her way to a grant and a PhD), and we are both proud of the fine education we received at both campuses.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SI1996, L J S A, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by BrookJersey Redmen.

Staten Island campus to end university housing 1 week 4 days ago #421520

• Proud Alumn
www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2018/0...student-posted-photo

I'm not elitist in the least. I don't believe the University should lower academic admission standards, thus hurting its reputation and the opportunitites for its grads, for students who don't get Bs in high school and have below average SAT scores. That was the way under Harrington and it damaged the University a great deal. If they can't maintain the same higher standards at the SI campus, and I have heard first-hand about the toxic student environment there, then cut it and better utilize resources.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight