Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: On Campus Sexual Assault Accusations

Article on #survingsju 5 months 1 week ago #314118

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10759
  • Thank you received: 2572
There is a lot of traumatic emotional damage wrapped up in a sexual assault, but it appears every victim who has posted stuff, and every accusation that SJU hasn't responded adequately, falls far short of demanding that these be reported as crimes. Perhaps St. John's should hire counselors for victims of sexual assault, if they do not have expertise on staff already (which I would be surprised if they don't). However, to expel someone for sexual assault whose behavior falls far below a criminal standard, or the victim refusing to press charges, especially for actions that sometimes occur off campus, would only cause uproars in the other direction in terms of university actions against males accused but not criminally liable.

Rather than blame the school, why not a student action for personal sexual responsibility, to watch out for dirtbags either trying to get girls drunk at parties or going after drunk chicks as pickup targets. As much as there is an outcry, there is still overwhelmingly the notion of screwing anything as something of a goal for college men. Girls are not exempt from this, and should consider the consequences of finding themselves in that circumstance because of some reckless substance abuse.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

On Campus Sexual Assault Accusations 5 months 1 week ago #314139

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2654
  • Thank you received: 458

Andrew wrote:

Beast of the East wrote: Zaun post contains harsh realities of the tremendous power of #metoo. For certain many allegations against prominent powerful men were true. For certain any allegation, even if untrue can destroy the reputation of the accused, and often cast from the shadows.

Social media wields incredible power and can be used recklessly anonymously at times.

Protecting the innocent accused and privacy and anonymity of victims are often mutually exclusive.

College life is especially vulnerable. The culture of hookups has surpassed the culture of dating on campuses, with many students never having been on an actual date yet are sexually active. The lines between consensual and non consensual sex appear clear but even each participant can have radically different and changing views if what occurred and how.

Scary times for certain.


Beast - I often disagree with you on your political/social posts but on this topic you are spot on. Having a teenage son and daughter, I find myself just as concerned about my son being falsely accused of sexual misconduct as I do my daughter being a victim. I know that may not be a politically correct statement but as a parent that is how I feel.


I haven't been on much this week and just saw this thread. As a father of a boy who graduated from a college out of town, a daughter who graduated (after her first two years were spent on campus at St. John's) and now is in grad school as an out of town school and a son who just began High School, I am concerned about the same thing. And the fact that my oldest is out of school now doesn't change anything.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SJU85.

Article on #survingsju 5 months 1 week ago #314140

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2654
  • Thank you received: 458

indyredmen97 wrote: I want to apologize to the moderators for my contribution to this discussion, there’s a reason I stay away from the other forums and focus solely on the basketball program, and it’s in vivid display on this thread... .


I stay away from the non-sport forums too and didn't realize until just now that this wasn't the basketball forum (when I go on I guess I was on the recent topics page, saw the title and clicked on.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On Campus Sexual Assault Accusations 5 months 1 week ago #314164

  • bobo
  • bobo's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1035
  • Thank you received: 20

L J S A wrote: She just tweeted that a guy named Jack Williams has apparently been added to the list.


Rumor has it that Jack might be charged with assault with a dead weapon.:unsure: :ohmy:


sorry Jack.
Losing feels worse than winning feels good
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

On Campus Sexual Assault Accusations 5 months 1 week ago #314214

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1784
  • Thank you received: 1011

bobo wrote:

L J S A wrote: She just tweeted that a guy named Jack Williams has apparently been added to the list.


Rumor has it that Jack might be charged with assault with a dead weapon.:unsure: :ohmy:


sorry Jack.


It reminds me of that movie "The 40 Year Old Virgin". Steve Carrell says to his friend, "I respect women! I respect them so much that I completely stay away from them!". Funny, yet sad because that's where this stuff leads...that's the end game if good men don't push back on the hoaxes and exaggeration in many cases. It doesn't matter what the real vs. hoax ratio is, because we all know there are more than enough hoaxes. It's a significant amount. Even one hoax is too much just like 1 real sexual harassment incident is too much...these are people's lives who get ruined forever. Do we really want to live in a world where men are too scared to even approach women for fear of being seen as "creepy" and "harassing"? It's already happening and many women complain of this very thing.

There's already a massive trend where young people are not dating or getting married...just random hookups. That's a result of this movement going too far. If you actually talk to women outside of a university echochamber type setting, you will see many women think it's a turn off when men stop acting like men and are too scared to pursue women and take chances. By all means you should be respectful to women, but taking a chance is not harassment if it's respectful and well-intentioned. Of course if the woman is clearly not interested and tells you to buzz off, then obviously you should. The real issue is that many true cases of rape/harassment are occurring and many hoaxes are occurring. Again, bringing up ratio is a strawman. Both happen at significant levels. The rape/harassment cases are reported on the front page constantly and receive tons of media attention. The problem is that when it turns out that some of these were hoaxes, the media is silent and there's zero push-back or accountability e.g. the false accuser going to jail. The coverage is totally out of proportion. Cover both equally and jail false accusers and we'd be in a much better place.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Mike Zaun.

Article on #survingsju 5 months 6 days ago #314602

  • Redman#13
  • Redman#13's Avatar
  • Away
  • Posts: 334
  • Thank you received: 63
Does anyone else think Ponds sitting out might have something to do with this, because his name was mentioned

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Article on #survingsju 5 months 6 days ago #314651

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5184
  • Thank you received: 1711

Redman#13 wrote: Does anyone else think Ponds sitting out might have something to do with this, because his name was mentioned


The thought never crossed my mind.

Signed,
Pinocchio

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Article on #survingsju 5 months 6 days ago #314676

  • Beast of the East
  • Beast of the East's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 10759
  • Thank you received: 2572

Monte wrote:

Redman#13 wrote: Does anyone else think Ponds sitting out might have something to do with this, because his name was mentioned


The thought never crossed my mind.

Signed,
Pinocchio


Why do I suddenly feel much worse than losing just one game to depaul

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Article on #survingsju 5 months 6 days ago #314710

  • ctstorm
  • ctstorm's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 540
  • Thank you received: 126

Beast of the East wrote:

Monte wrote:

Redman#13 wrote: Does anyone else think Ponds sitting out might have something to do with this, because his name was mentioned


The thought never crossed my mind.

Signed,
Pinocchio


Why do I suddenly feel much worse than losing just one game to depaul


Must say I had the same thought especially after the post on the game thread about rumors that the DNP was more than an injury. I don't believe it, but it does reinforce the point that Beast and others have made about the power of accusations whether true or not. Having served on conduct boards I have seen this first hand and it is frightening.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Article on #survingsju 5 months 6 days ago #314727

  • Monte
  • Monte's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5184
  • Thank you received: 1711
I hope and pray that there are zero merits to these rumors, and that Sham just has a minor injury. However I can’t remember the last time around here that smoke didn’t lead to fire. And the timing of the tweets/article and last nights DNP-with an injury seemingly out of the blue and with little explanation-certainly raises more concerns. Hoping for the best, but history as an SJU fan has taught me to prepare for the worst.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight

Follow redmen.com on Twitter