TOPIC:

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393091

• Spocky Ramone
  • Spocky Ramone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 446

Monte wrote:

austour wrote:

Monte wrote: www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-brief-his...a123aac62_story.html

A brief history of the word from a 2016 Wash Post article. No comparison to the N word, so stop with that nonsense.

Actual root of the word comes from the Phips Bounty Proclamation. Read up.

And yes obviously not as pejorative as the N word, but more pejorative than say Redman or Yellowman.

www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-fi...753295f9a_story.html

Once again I will use the Wash Post as a source. I prefer to use sources that I don't generally see eye to eye with. IMO, this is purely a matter of the owners caving to PC/ Cancel culture, and worrying about their bottom line with Fedex, etc putting pressure on them.

Snyder caved one day after the big box stores announced they would no longer sell their merchandise. Maybe they should change the team name to the Greenbacks.
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress - K.I.T.T., “1776”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, Frank61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393092

• austour
  • Thank you received: 1063

Monte wrote:

austour wrote:

Monte wrote: www.washingtonpost.com/local/a-brief-his...a123aac62_story.html

A brief history of the word from a 2016 Wash Post article. No comparison to the N word, so stop with that nonsense.

Actual root of the word comes from the Phips Bounty Proclamation. Read up.

And yes obviously not as pejorative as the N word, but more pejorative than say Redman or Yellowman.

www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-fi...753295f9a_story.html

Once again I will use the Wash Post as a source. I prefer to use sources that I don't generally see eye to eye with. IMO, this is purely a matter of the owners caving to PC/ Cancel culture, and worrying about their bottom line with Fedex, etc putting pressure on them.

Of course it's about money. It's always about money.

PS that poll has been a running joke on PTI for yearsl Apparently Dan Snyder keeps a copy of the article in his wallet to show anybody who still listens to him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte

Last edit: by austour.

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393095

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 743
Idolizing a symbol of racial, religious discrimination and treason (Confederate Flag) along with statues honoring the leaders of that symbol never made much sense to me. It is well beyond time those symbols were removed. It doesn’t mean their part in history is erased (“if you don’t learn from history you are doomed to repeat it”) but they shouldn’t be bestowed with signs of honor.

Changing the name of a professional sports team that was a racist term despite whatever reason that name was chosen is the right thing to do even if the only reason is because the owner was threatened in the wallet (not unusual for change to occur).

Changing the spelling of the Nword and trying to change it into a different meaning is wrong and just stupid and offensive no matter who started the trend.

Not saying that Braves, Indians, Chiefs or Blackhawks should be changed but the one in Washington should have gone along time ago.

Being a “sheep” can also mean not wanting change because it was such that way in the past and should remain that way and try to justify it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Last edit: by SJU85.

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393097

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 3151
Leave it to the Italians to figure out the best way to deal with a statue of Mussolini, and appease most everyone.

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com...troversial-monuments

But then again, Italians have always had pretty thick skin. Sicilians even more so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, bamafan, Chicago Days, RedStormNC

Last edit: by Monte.

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393109

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 3143

Monte wrote: Leave it to the Italians to figure out the best way to deal with a statue of Mussolini, and appease most everyone.

But then again, Italians have always had pretty thick skin. Sicilians even more so.

That's funny, Monte. Wonder what the the inscription on Confederate Statues would or could be?
I think Germany outright banned all Nazi statues and / or monuments and use the former concentration camps to 'educate' people on hate. That seems wise.

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393120

• austour
  • Thank you received: 1063
Solution.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days, BrooklynRed

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393129

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 2275

Monte wrote: Leave it to the Italians to figure out the best way to deal with a statue of Mussolini, and appease most everyone.

Does seem a better solution that the criminal destruction of property.

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393133

• Monte
  • Thank you received: 3151

bamafan wrote:

Unfortunately the anarchists don't see it that way. Pretty coincidental that immediately after a few of those clowns got picked up on federal charges, the destruction came to a stop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 6 days ago #393135

• Spocky Ramone
  • Spocky Ramone's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 446

Monte wrote:

bamafan wrote:

Unfortunately the anarchists don't see it that way. Pretty coincidental that immediately after a few of those clowns got picked up on federal charges, the destruction came to a stop.

They got grounded
I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress - K.I.T.T., “1776”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, bamafan

NFL Name Change 3 weeks 21 hours ago #393712

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 19689
NFL related
The Giants and Jets will play their 2020 home games at MetLife Stadium without fans, NJ Advance Media has learned, after Gov. Murphy told the teams that his statewide limit of 500 people at outdoor gatherings would apply to the local NFL teams.

Rutgers also will limit its crowd to below 500 spectators if a college football season takes place this fall, the university is set to announce, promising that “all safety precautions will be in place for those individuals who will be in attendance.” Those spectators are expected to be limited to the immediate family of players and coaches.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight