Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399494

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 2029
Back to the bullpen, TB is loaded. What did Ron Darling say, if you are 6-2 and thrown 100 MPH you probably pitch for TB (Anderson and Fairbanks). As soon as this game got into the bullpen's it was trouble for the Yankees.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399495

• EliteBaller K
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 103
I'm not even pissed this year, what happened to DJ vs TB, sane crap with Chapman, last year with Altuve, this year Brosseau. Go get a real closer.
So 2 of the 3 TB hits were hrs, almost 3 hrs on 4 hits
Oh well, we'll just say "maybe next year" once again.

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399496

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 2029
Hitting home runs and scoring a ton of runs is great in the regular season. But in the playoffs you are only playing good teams. They usually have the best pitching. And more importantly they know how to scout. Look it how the TB bullpen pitched guys like Voight and Urshela etc. You need to have better at bats, force more pitches to be thrown and less free swinging.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399499

• Monte
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3804
Have watched very little baseball this year but at the last minute I decided to throw a few bucks on TB, so I watched. To Fordham's point, this team does not seem to have many situational hitters, like the great Yankee teams of the mid-late 70's and mid-late 90s. Those guys would make the opposing team's pitchers work, and every at bat would be a battle. Those guys also adjusted based on the situation, especially late in close games. This team seems to be all or nothing. And for a guy who guaranteed a win tonight, Voit didn't exactly make himself look like Joe Willie

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399500

• Moose
  • Thank you received: 4463

Monte wrote: Have watched very little baseball this year but at the last minute I decided to throw a few bucks on TB, so I watched. To Fordham's point, this team does not seem to have many situational hitters, like the great Yankee teams of the mid-late 70's and mid-late 90s. Those guys would make the opposing team's pitchers work, and every at bat would be a battle. Those guys also adjusted based on the situation, especially late in close games. This team seems to be all or nothing. And for a guy who guaranteed a win tonight, Voit didn't exactly make himself look like Joe Willie

I see a few people commenting on Voit and his comments about winning. What exactly is he supposed to say? This isn’t 1994 when saying we will win get Messier on a back page. It’s pretty common occurrence and I’d want my player to say we’re gonna win. He led the league in HRs and will likely have a procedure on his foot I’d say by early next week. The Yankees have problems but Luke Voit saying they will win is pretty far down the list.

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399502

• Monte
  • Away

Moose wrote:

Monte wrote: Have watched very little baseball this year but at the last minute I decided to throw a few bucks on TB, so I watched. To Fordham's point, this team does not seem to have many situational hitters, like the great Yankee teams of the mid-late 70's and mid-late 90s. Those guys would make the opposing team's pitchers work, and every at bat would be a battle. Those guys also adjusted based on the situation, especially late in close games. This team seems to be all or nothing. And for a guy who guaranteed a win tonight, Voit didn't exactly make himself look like Joe Willie

I see a few people commenting on Voit and his comments about winning. What exactly is he supposed to say? This isn’t 1994 when saying we will win get Messier on a back page. It’s pretty common occurrence and I’d want my player to say we’re gonna win. He led the league in HRs and will likely have a procedure on his foot I’d say by early next week. The Yankees have problems but Luke Voit saying they will win is pretty far down the list.

I didn't hear him say it, I was going on what the announcers said he said. If he actually said "I guarantee a win!", that's pretty brazen IMO. I realize the guy lead the league in home runs, but he's not exactly had a Reggie type career. Anyhow, if you say that and your team looses and you do nothing, then you're gonna catch some shit for it. Besides, I don't have the same problems as the Yankees do, so it's higher up on my list of things to talk about.

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399505

• EliteBaller K
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 103

Moose wrote:

MESSIER meant what he said and made sure to back it up, he got a hat trick and could have gotten an assist on the 4th goal, that guy was a special player.
Only a special player backs his word up like the
MES-SI-ER.
and it was him and his Oiler s mates that came to ny for their only cup in 80yrs.
Loved that team and am forever grateful for them getting ny a cup.

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399508

• section10
  • Thank you received: 171
ouch. the rays destroyed the yanks, if some how 3 hits is a destruction.
ugh. the rays destroyed the yanks, if some how 2 first row homeruns and 3 to 2 in game wins, clearly means the rays are way better than the yanks
i cringed at the strike/ball calls on the 2nd rays home run hitter and stanton's last at bat

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399512

• SJ_NYC
  • SJ_NYC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 208

I agree that the composition of the Yankees is different from that of 90's glory years. But the game has changed. And it's hard to compare eras. It's hard to know exactly what accounts for the changes, but a couple of things to note:

1. The shifts that defenses employ have reduced the ability of hitters to get non-HR hits. Situational hitting is harder. Basically, a GM and the math he is employing, and thus the defensive alignment, makes it is harder to hit 'through' a defense, rather than just hit 'over' the defense. It worked for the Rays in the playoffs to hit 'over' the defense, and it almost worked for the Yankees.

The positioning of the defenses is just way better now. Math-wise, those glory year teams in the '70s and '90s hit into 'dumber' defenses. This is a good article on some of this stuff:

www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/8/10/21362068...abip-low-2020-season

2. Power pitching. There are way more relievers throwing 97+ now. I'm sure situational hitting is harder when the pitcher can throw the ball past you and you can't even make contact.

In 1999 the league-wide batting average was .271; in 2020 it was .245; it's a huge differenece.

3. Finally - and this is me just wildly speculating; what else could have a potential impact - a lot less steroids now. In 1990s, that extra bit of strength might allow a player to hit that single, double or HR instead of making an out.

The game is just different. I presume most importantly, it's the GMs telling their players - the heck with the singles. Just swing super hard and hit home runs, draw walks, and we'll live with the strike outs and low batting average.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Monte, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by SJ_NYC.

Yankees - 2020 1 month 2 weeks ago #399514

• Monte
  • Away

SJ_NYC wrote:

I agree that the composition of the Yankees is different from that of 90's glory years. But the game has changed. And it's hard to compare eras. It's hard to know exactly what accounts for the changes, but a couple of things to note:

1. The shifts that defenses employ have reduced the ability of hitters to get non-HR hits. Situational hitting is harder. Basically, a GM and the math he is employing, and thus the defensive alignment, makes it is harder to hit 'through' a defense, rather than just hit 'over' the defense. It worked for the Rays in the playoffs to hit 'over' the defense, and it almost worked for the Yankees.

The positioning of the defenses is just way better now. Math-wise, those glory year teams in the '70s and '90s hit into 'dumber' defenses. This is a good article on some of this stuff:

www.theringer.com/mlb/2020/8/10/21362068...abip-low-2020-season

2. Power pitching. There are way more relievers throwing 97+ now. I'm sure situational hitting is harder when the pitcher can throw the ball past you and you can't even make contact.

In 1999 the league-wide batting average was .271; in 2020 it was .245; it's a huge differenece.

3. Finally - and this is me just wildly speculating; what else could have a potential impact - a lot less steroids now. In 1990s, that extra bit of strength might allow a player to hit that single, double or HR instead of making an out.

The game is just different. I presume most importantly, it's the GMs telling their players - the heck with the singles. Just swing super hard and hit home runs, draw walks, and we'll live with the strike outs and low batting average.

I appreciate your insight. All valid points. Are most of the team built this way? Knowing what I know about the Astros, it would seem that they have more versatile hitters then the Yanks do. As someone who did fantasy baseball up until 3 years ago, I feel like a dunce asking these questions. LOL.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight