Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Yankees - 2019

Yankees - 2019 2 weeks 5 days ago #360668

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 900
TJ surgery for Aaron Hicks (7 more years on his contract - Yeah!).

Minor surgeries for Voit and Tanaka.

www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27919167/yan...-surgery-8-10-months

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SJU61982.

Yankees - 2019 2 weeks 5 days ago #360677

• Delaware
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 183
Not a big Hicks fan. Didn't like the 7 year commitment to an oft-injured player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JohnnyFan

Yankees - 2019 2 weeks 5 days ago #360698

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 900

Delaware wrote: Not a big Hicks fan. Didn't like the 7 year commitment to an oft-injured player.

It's not even the injuries, for me anyway. If I worried about signing a player because of injuries, I would have a tough time finding 25 guys to fill out a roster.

It's the fact that I don't think Hicks is that good. At least, he's better in individual moments, then on the whole. He can make a great catch to win a game in Minnesota, or hit a big homer off Verlander in a playoff elimination game, but over 162 games, I'm not sure he's a net positive.

He's got some power, but not a lot. He has a good eye, but because he does not have the power of some other guys in our lineup, he may take too many pitches (if that's possible). He makes contact at a good rate, but has never batted higher then .266 in the Big Leagues (and he's been around long enough to make you believe that that's about the peak he can do, average wise). He has good speed, but is only an OK base stealer (69.8% for his career, which is about the bare minimum for stealing at an acceptable level, IMO). He does bring Gold Glove Level defense, but I don't think that's enough to offset his offensive weaknesses.

I can understand the intrigue teams have in him. He can absolutely wreck a 3 game series for the opposition. He can get something like 8 hits, and make 2 or 3 great catches, and leave a team deflated. But, when you have him for 162, you can start to understand why Minnesota gave up on him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delaware

Last edit: by SJU61982.

Yankees - 2019 2 weeks 3 days ago #360867

• SJUFAN2
  • Thank you received: 473
I really don't get why people are concerned or making an issue out Hicks contract. It's a complete NON-ISSUE. Sure he gets hurt a lot, but he's getting paid what Gardner got last year when Gardy was signed to be a back up.

$10m/per is 4th OF money for the Yankees. Sure, it sucks that he's going to miss ANOTHER 3-5 months of regular season, and its justified to be concerned about his ability to stay healthy, but lets put things in perspective and add context to his value as a player.

He's an ELITE defensive CF.
He's a switch hitter who is is basically equally productive from both sides of the plate.
He's never going to win a batting title but he's a .250ish hitter with 20-30 HR pop.
And in his first 3 years with the Yankees (what earned him the contract) he had a .343 on base %.

.343 OBP would place him around 60th in the league each of the last 2 years and equal to Ryan Braun, Jason Heyward, Andrew Benintendi and Yuli Guriel in 2019 and Cody Bellinger, Giancarlo Stanton, Trea Turner and Nelson Cruz in 2018.

How many of those guys could you sign tomorrow for $10m a year if they were on the market?

Yankees - 2019 2 weeks 1 day ago #361048

• ctstorm
  • Thank you received: 130
Yanks fire Rothschild
nypost.com/2019/10/28/yankees-parting-wa...ch-larry-rothschild/

Apparently need someone who can calculate spin rate.

Yankees - 2019 2 weeks 1 day ago #361061

• Moose
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 3020

ctstorm wrote: Yanks fire Rothschild
nypost.com/2019/10/28/yankees-parting-wa...ch-larry-rothschild/

Apparently need someone who can calculate spin rate.

Time for change there.
Would be interesting to see if Cone gets a look.

Yankees - 2019 1 week 5 days ago #361411

• Delaware
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 183
Yanks decline option on Encarnacion for next season.

Yankees - 2019 1 week 5 days ago #361468

• Knight
  • Thank you received: 1181
Saved $20 Mil.

Yankees - 2019 1 week 5 days ago #361473

• ron
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 405

Knight wrote: Saved $20 Mil.

$15 M after the $5 M buyout
Ron

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2Knight