Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New NCAA Rules

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #291974

  • MJDinkins
  • MJDinkins's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 7479
  • Thank you received: 374

Mike wrote:

kingofk1ngs wrote: @ShamsCharania
NCAA basketball says it will now allow "elite" high school and college prospects to be represented by an agent. NCAA will also permit players to return to school if unselected in NBA draft.


IMO both of these are terrible


So, do I.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #291982

  • SJU85
  • SJU85's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2241
  • Thank you received: 160

MJDinkins wrote:

Mike wrote:

kingofk1ngs wrote: @ShamsCharania
NCAA basketball says it will now allow "elite" high school and college prospects to be represented by an agent. NCAA will also permit players to return to school if unselected in NBA draft.


IMO both of these are terrible


Baseball players are allowed to have "advisors" (really agents as Scott Boras has "advised" many before becoming their agent) and maintaining their amateur status so I don't necessarily have a problem with this.

I also don't have a problem with letting someone who wasn't drafted maintain their eligibility and returning to school.

So, do I.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #291984

  • Porgyman
  • Porgyman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 427
  • Thank you received: 22

SJU85 wrote:

MJDinkins wrote:

Mike wrote:

kingofk1ngs wrote: @ShamsCharania
NCAA basketball says it will now allow "elite" high school and college prospects to be represented by an agent. NCAA will also permit players to return to school if unselected in NBA draft.


IMO both of these are terrible


Baseball players are allowed to have "advisors" (really agents as Scott Boras has "advised" many before becoming their agent) and maintaining their amateur status so I don't necessarily have a problem with this.

I also don't have a problem with letting someone who wasn't drafted maintain their eligibility and returning to school.

So, do I.


I love both rules, especially the second one. Real life example: A kid is a junior at Harvard and is brilliant in math. Microsoft has a job available that he interviews for. He doesn’t get the job. Does Harvard then tell him...”sorry, you can’t return “? Of course not. The NCAA rule was unnecessarily punitive to the athletes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #291985

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 18337
  • Thank you received: 4476
Fran F makes some sense

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #291987

  • alexander salem
  • alexander salem's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 260
  • Thank you received: 59
I love both rules, especially the second one. Real life example: A kid is a junior at Harvard and is brilliant in math. Microsoft has a job available that he interviews for. He doesn’t get the job. Does Harvard then tell him...”sorry, you can’t return “? Of course not. The NCAA rule was unnecessarily punitive to the athletes.

That is a Horrible example.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by alexander salem.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #291997

  • Porgyman
  • Porgyman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 427
  • Thank you received: 22

alexander salem wrote: I love both rules, especially the second one. Real life example: A kid is a junior at Harvard and is brilliant in math. Microsoft has a job available that he interviews for. He doesn’t get the job. Does Harvard then tell him...”sorry, you can’t return “? Of course not. The NCAA rule was unnecessarily punitive to the athletes.

That is a Horrible example.

Care to expand?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #291998

  • austour
  • austour's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4665
  • Thank you received: 272

Porgyman wrote:

alexander salem wrote: I love both rules, especially the second one. Real life example: A kid is a junior at Harvard and is brilliant in math. Microsoft has a job available that he interviews for. He doesn’t get the job. Does Harvard then tell him...”sorry, you can’t return “? Of course not. The NCAA rule was unnecessarily punitive to the athletes.

That is a Horrible example.

Care to expand?


Well for starters the math major is probably paying his own way, not being sponsored by the school unless he's on academic schollie. He's also entering a field that is not unilaterally governed by a CBA of an all powerful union. There are no equitable examples unless you believe in the myth of the student athlete as it pertains to the 5% of D1 basketball schools that they anticipate being affected by this.

That said I think these are logical and fair rule changes, but they'll be difficult to manage by the staff's of those schools. DO they now need to leave a ship open for their borderline draft prospects just in case they decide to return? What is their status if the team they played for the previous year didn't leave room for them, would they have to follow transfer rules to go somewhere else (and who knows what those rules will be soon anyway)? Would guys like Duval, Trier, Alkins and others return to school to try again anyway or will agents talk them out of it so they can make some money? It'll be a new world when next spring comes around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #292001

  • RedStormNC
  • RedStormNC's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1282
  • Thank you received: 234
as for finding room to allow a kid back who didn't get drafted...

a school will likely always find a roster spot for a kid with border line NBA talent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by RedStormNC.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #292002

  • alexander salem
  • alexander salem's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 260
  • Thank you received: 59
Overall this will benefit a majority of players. I think this has no effect at all on powerhouses. I don't know how schools like ours will fair in this new environment. Recruiting will be vastly be different come the summertime.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New NCAA Rules 1 week 2 days ago #292010

  • Eric Williamson
  • Eric Williamson's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 31
  • Thank you received: 31
I don't have a problem with either of the Agents rule or the undrafted players rule. It will be interesting to see how they play out.

I can't wait until a player's agent wants to have a meeting with Coach K or Coach Cal because they are unhappy with something involving their player. Will the coach give them the time of day?

In regards to the undrafted players, will they be required to return to the same school? What if that team doesn't welcome them back (the school will still have to prepare/recruit in anticipation of them not returning)? Will they be allowed to transfer, and if so, will they have to sit out a year?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth