Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Knight - European Travel

Knight - European Travel 1 week 6 days ago #289931

• gman
  • Thank you received: 194
I moved everything from the coaches change thread to keep it on topic.

One of the main perks of living in London is cheap flights to Europe. So far we have visiting Paris, Brussel, Brugge, Ghent (much preferred over Brugge), Tuscany, Vienna, Dublin, Amsterdam, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye, Barcelona, Madrid, Copenhagen, Cologne, and plenty of UK countryside trips (Bath, Cotswolds, St. Albans, Oxford and Canterbury).

I have plenty of restraints, sites, etc. in all those cities.

Favourites were Tuscany, Paris and Amsterdam. Least favourite was Dublin, but want to get back to the Irish countryside.

Planned next is Krakow. Hoping to get up to Reykjavík for the northern lights, possibly back to Copenhagen and off to alps for skiing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Tom in Salem, L J S A, JohnnyFan, Knight

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by gman.

Knight - European Travel 1 week 6 days ago #289932

• sirvoo
  • Thank you received: 28
Maher that’s a great story and an even better photo with the little kid.

Have a great time Knight! I did a Prague, Vienna, Salzburg and Paris trip recently and it was quite possibly the best trip I’ve ever been on(Mets won the pennant and got engaged on that trip in Prague, notice which one I listed first!).

Can confirm Porgy’s post about Plachutta. Also it’s an absolute must to visit Cafe Central in Vienna. We also went to the actual opera, it’s an unbelievable venue but I dipped out during the first intermission due to boredom and fatigue from staying up for Mets games.

The ride from Vienna to Salzburg is quite beautiful with all the lakes in between. If at all possible stop at some of these villages on a lake for an hour or so they’re incredibly scenic. We only visited the city for a day but I’m sure there’s more to see outside of our typical visit to Sound of Music scenes and Mozart home.

I’m sure most here have better rec’s but PM if you have any questions!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Tom in Salem, Knight

Last edit: by sirvoo.

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289933

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1294

NCJohnnie wrote: bamafan wrote: Last 10 posts or so belong in the All Things Maher thread you know the Traveling Man!

I thought maybe Mitch had been spotted in Prague.

Mitch is having a czechered career.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Tom in Salem, L J S A, Knight

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289934

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 1337

Class of 72 wrote:

NCJohnnie wrote: bamafan wrote: Last 10 posts or so belong in the All Things Maher thread you know the Traveling Man!

I thought maybe Mitch had been spotted in Prague.

Mitch is having a czechered career.

nice job with the play on words keeping it on topic :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289935

• mjmaherjr
Our own Weathermannyc going to Prague and Vienna first week in september
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, Knight

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289936

• mjmaherjr

gman wrote: I moved everything from the coaches change thread to keep it on topic.

One of the main perks of living in London is cheap flights to Europe. So far we have visiting Paris, Brussel, Brugge, Ghent (much preferred over Brugge), Tuscany, Vienna, Dublin, Amsterdam, Edinburgh and Isle of Skye, Barcelona, Madrid, Copenhagen, Cologne, and plenty of UK countryside trips (Bath, Cotswolds, St. Albans, Oxford and Canterbury).

I have plenty of restraints, sites, etc. in all those cities.

Favourites were Tuscany, Paris and Amsterdam. Least favourite was Dublin, but want to get back to the Irish countryside.

Planned next is Krakow. Hoping to get up to Reykjavík for the northern lights, possibly back to Copenhagen and off to alps for skiing.

did you go to Belfast yet ? We liked Dublin a lot but it was also St Patricks day time when we were there. Take the bus to Belfast and there is a decent hotel right near the bus station but you are short walking distance to my favorite all time bar. The Crown Saloon. Beautiful inside and the people so friendly its nuts. Within an hour we had a legit 10 new friends already and we are still friends with. The black cab tour to where all the troubles were are great. Then do another day tour to the north to that rock stuff on the beach which was worth a day trip

Galway was our favorite smaller town in Ireland
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Knight

Last edit: by mjmaherjr.

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289938

• MarkRedman
  • Thank you received: 97
Funny you should mention European travel right now. The Mrs. and I are currently in the middle of a Trafalgar Eastern European trip. We’ve been to Frankfurt, Berlin, Warsaw, Kraków and Budapest. Heading to Vienna and Prague in the next few days. Having a ball!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Knight

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289940

• capmaker
  • Thank you received: 48
My wife and I are going to Spain & Portugal in September. We will be in Madrid on our own for 4 days and then we take the AVE to Barcelona to begin a two week tour of the Iberian Peninsula taking the northern route staying in several Spanish paradors before concluding the trip in Porto & Lisbon for two nights each. We are very much looking forward to seeing the Pyrenees and San Sebastian, so if anybody has any dining or any other recommendations, please let me know. Also....we are having trouble booking the AVE train tickets in advance, so if anybody can help, it would be much appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Knight

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289941

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 271
I am
Getting all of these European insights for free!
That beats beating UConn at the buzzer - well almost
Have a great day here and “ Over there”
( doesn’t that song go “ the Yanks are coming” as opposed to the “ Mets are coming”? lol)

General Sheridan
The following user(s) said Thank You: Knight

Knight - European Travel 1 week 5 days ago #289944

• Section9
  • Thank you received: 116

capmaker wrote: My wife and I are going to Spain & Portugal in September. We will be in Madrid on our own for 4 days and then we take the AVE to Barcelona to begin a two week tour of the Iberian Peninsula taking the northern route staying in several Spanish paradors before concluding the trip in Porto & Lisbon for two nights each. We are very much looking forward to seeing the Pyrenees and San Sebastian, so if anybody has any dining or any other recommendations, please let me know. Also....we are having trouble booking the AVE train tickets in advance, so if anybody can help, it would be much appreciated.

Pousadas and Paradors are the absolute best way to stay on the Iberian peninsula. Had a great time there but never got used to the late dinner hours in Spain, 9 pm is early!:)

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth