Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 1 week ago #284488

• OhioFan
  • OhioFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 66
The tone of the board has been less than cordial lately (understatement) and that is going to change, now. You don't have to agree with each other, but you have to treat the community with respect, and you have to obey the rules for posting on the site.

1) Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Threads with these attacks will be closed. Anyone whose behavior causes a thread to be closed will be demoted to the Rookie Forum.

2) First offense will result in a one week demotion. Each subsequent demotion doubles (or longer, depending on the transgression) the length of the previous demotion. Repeat offenders will eventually be banned at the Moderators discretion.

3) Do NOT respond to insulting posts. Report them and that poster will be dealt with. Respond to them, and you will be demoted as well.

4) There will be no appeals.

St. Arnulf of Metz - Bishop & member of the court of the Frankish king Theodebert II of Austrasia. A noble, Arnulf married Doda & their son was Ansegisel. Ansegisel married Beggia, the daughter of Pepin of Landen, starting the Carolingian dynasty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Room112, frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

St. Arnulf of Metz - Bishop & member of the court of the Frankish king Theodebert II of Austrasia. A noble, Arnulf married Doda & their son was Ansegisel. Ansegisel married Beggia, the daughter of Pepin of Landen, starting the Carolingian dynasty.

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284508

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 259

OhioFan wrote: The tone of the board has been less than cordial lately (understatement) and that is going to change, now. You don't have to agree with each other, but you have to treat the community with respect, and you have to obey the rules for posting on the site.

1) Personal attacks will not be tolerated. Threads with these attacks will be closed. Anyone whose behavior causes a thread to be closed will be demoted to the Rookie Forum.

2) First offense will result in a one week demotion. Each subsequent demotion doubles (or longer, depending on the transgression) the length of the previous demotion. Repeat offenders will eventually be banned at the Moderators discretion.

3) Do NOT respond to insulting posts. Report them and that poster will be dealt with. Respond to them, and you will be demoted as well.

4) There will be no appeals.

Good to put it out there - the rules, expectations and structure. Some of the obnoxious "stuff" has given cause if it is even worth checking in with the (mostly wonderful) site. It's been disappointing enough with the "Ls" and lost recruits... we don't need added negativity by some. I appreciate your using your authority and taking this action with your moderators' touch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, frank61, NCJohnnie

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284509

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 101
Thank you, this will make the site better.THIS IS NO PLACE FOR PERSONAL attacks we have a common connection . Lets now enjoy discussing our team in a respectful manner THANKS TO THE MODERATORS for getting this under control
The following user(s) said Thank You: bacane, frank61, NCJohnnie

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284512

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 805
USGuard wrote : Thank you, this will make the site better.THIS IS NO PLACE FOR PERSONAL attacks we have a common connection . Lets now enjoy discussing our team in a respectful manner THANKS TO THE MODERATORS for getting this under control

Exactly Usguard. - sometimes it takes an extra minute or two to review & edit a post disagreeing with a previous post to make sure it is done the right way, but it is worth it. Kind of ridiculous to criticize other teams' fans if we can't even interact with fellow SJU fans respectfully.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284526

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 101
So true.

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284540

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 662
I am pretty sure I replied to this topic but my response may have been removed. Can a mod contact me to tell me if it had been removed? There was no offensive content to my knowledge.

So here is essentially what I said:

I applaud the mods stepping in to curtail the harsh bickering that has been going on here for a while, seemingly on an increased and more intense basis. Yes, this is a sports discussion board - no one even likes his premises challenged. Just about everyone, and I mean just about EVERYONE, including mods, have lost their tempers over the pas dozen years or so that I've been on here. Perhaps JSJ stands alone, and probably SS&G. Two very civil (war) guys.

There have been a few guys who frequently came (come) here to rankle other folks, condescend, or flat out name call. A couple notables have been excused recently, and the board is better for it. Some folks do know more than others, but there's no reason to make your point by defaming others.

While I applaud the mods attempt to restore civility, would also caution against a threatening tone to this all, or overarching zealousness to exercise the power to suspend or delete accounts. A gentle nudge or reminder to behave civilly will often bring the tone back towards the center. In the internet age, too many users operate under the veil of anonymity, which emboldens us to act rudely, with anger, or to say any number of things that would never be uttered in person.

Obviously, I love this vehicle, love St. John's, and support the heck out of this team. Many other here do also, differing opinions or not. It's been a pleasure to meet a fair number of you, and even if I'm in disagreement with some of you on the present predicament, having met you or interacted via PM with some softens my reaction most of the time.

This is a great site, and thanks to the mods for trying to restore more civility. Much appreciated.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia, Class of 72, Andrew, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284550

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1259

Beast of the East wrote: I am pretty sure I replied to this topic but my response may have been removed. Can a mod contact me to tell me if it had been removed? There was no offensive content to my knowledge.

So here is essentially what I said:

I applaud the mods stepping in to curtail the harsh bickering that has been going on here for a while, seemingly on an increased and more intense basis. Yes, this is a sports discussion board - no one even likes his premises challenged. Just about everyone, and I mean just about EVERYONE, including mods, have lost their tempers over the pas dozen years or so that I've been on here. Perhaps JSJ stands alone, and probably SS&G. Two very civil (war) guys.

There have been a few guys who frequently came (come) here to rankle other folks, condescend, or flat out name call. A couple notables have been excused recently, and the board is better for it. Some folks do know more than others, but there's no reason to make your point by defaming others.

While I applaud the mods attempt to restore civility, would also caution against a threatening tone to this all, or overarching zealousness to exercise the power to suspend or delete accounts. A gentle nudge or reminder to behave civilly will often bring the tone back towards the center. In the internet age, too many users operate under the veil of anonymity, which emboldens us to act rudely, with anger, or to say any number of things that would never be uttered in person.

Obviously, I love this vehicle, love St. John's, and support the heck out of this team. Many other here do also, differing opinions or not. It's been a pleasure to meet a fair number of you, and even if I'm in disagreement with some of you on the present predicament, having met you or interacted via PM with some softens my reaction most of the time.

This is a great site, and thanks to the mods for trying to restore more civility. Much appreciated.

Well said Beast! Posts have been removed that were inocuous at best. I saw some and hours later they were gone. Personal animosity and politics should stay out of moderation.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East, MJDinkins

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284552

• Paul Massell
  • Thank you received: 419

Class of 72 wrote: Personal animosity and politics should stay out of moderation.

This part of what you said is true but you constantly harping on the moderation and finding any possible opportunity to chime in with it, is a problem. So give it a rest.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284555

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1259

Paul Massell wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: Personal animosity and politics should stay out of moderation.

This part of what you said is true but you constantly harping on the moderation and finding any possible opportunity to chime in with it, is a problem. So give it a rest.

I am glad you agree and as you yourself said personal opinions are not what moderation is about. The personal animosity and politics should stay out of all discussions PERIOD as most people don't know each other from a hole in the wall. This is the last time I will say anything about the issue.

READ THIS - YOUR PRIVILEGE TO POST MAY BE IN JEOPARDY 2 months 6 days ago #284558

• OhioFan
  • OhioFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 66
The original post has a serious typo error (as pointed out by mein freund 72) in the title and I was unable to edit it for same reason. Therefore, I deleted it and re-posted. Sorry for the confusion.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

• Page:
Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth