Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Roster

Roster 4 months 5 days ago #280956

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1455

Storm Tracker wrote: yes why are people counting Ponds as returning? right now he has announced his intention to explore the NBA draft. I would at least put a question mark next to his name.

Definitely a question mark. His dad knows he should stay unlike Owens' dad.
However, of all the St. John's players, Slick is living the largest and he really is focused on playing pro ball. There are over 100 clubs overseas he could opt for and play just 4 months and 40 games max and easily earn from a quarter million to half a million for those few months at his talent level. He could try for an NBA team every summer.
LoVett made that decision and so are many other players declaring that realistically will not be 1st or 2nd round picks.
The possibility is there and I think the coaches know it.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Roster 4 months 5 days ago #280965

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1091
This is a total guess on my part, but for one, Ponds is far more level-headed than LoVett and has a wiser dad.
At this time, I don't think either Shamorie or his dad would opt for Europe instead of the NBA.
I think they believe he has the talent for the NBA and are focused on gauging what level of interest the League has in Shamorie presently and what the feedback is from NBA evaluators as to what preparation Shamorie must do to be drafted in the first or second round.
IF that process proves 'out of reach', then I think Ponds will opt for Europe--not before.
IF Shamorie decides to leave this year--then yeah it'd suck big time for us, but IF that is best for him and his family, then so be it.
Let's go Johnnies.

Roster 4 months 5 days ago #280978

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 621
I don't get the love fest SJU fans are showing Tariq and his dad on Twitter. The kid is walking out and didn't mind making a few comments that painted the program in a bad light.

I also disagree with attacking him, but let it go. The kid is not an all time great Johnny......and he left.

There......I said it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ccnobz, Beast of the East, OLV72, Andrew

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Roster 4 months 5 days ago #280983

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1455

JohnnyFan wrote: I don't get the love fest SJU fans are showing Tariq and his dad on Twitter. The kid is walking out and didn't mind making a few comments that painted the program in a bad light.

I also disagree with attacking him, but let it go. The kid is not an all time great Johnny......and he left.

There......I said it!

Maybe they are normal and we aren't.;)
There's a fine line between Fan and Fanatical.

The following user(s) said Thank You: OLV72, JohnnyFan

Roster 4 months 5 days ago #280985

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 753
Nah, its not normal. Twitter gives you a chance to send a fan letter and get a reply. To post something about a player, coach, announcer, or overbearing and too public dad, and get a like or reply from that person. And that makes some people say ridiculously lovely things cuz a famous (kind of) person is interacting with you. Crazy huh, but completely understandable.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

Roster 4 months 4 days ago #281026

• Storm Tracker
  • Thank you received: 45

Beast of the East wrote:

Storm Tracker wrote: yes why are people counting Ponds as returning? right now he has announced his intention to explore the NBA draft. I would at least put a question mark next to his name.

I think given his future plans, you dip your toe into the water at no risk, and get an idea as to what the NBA and agents think of you. It also prepares you slightly for when you finally do submit to the draft for real

Beast -- (my friend :) ) i totally get his plan on testing out the draft waters and i think he knows he should return and i think he will. Just saying before penciling him in for next year he at least deserves an asterisk until its official

Roster 4 months 3 days ago #281088

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 753

Storm Tracker wrote:

Beast of the East wrote:

I think given his future plans, you dip your toe into the water at no risk, and get an idea as to what the NBA and agents think of you. It also prepares you slightly for when you finally do submit to the draft for real

Beast -- (my friend :) ) i totally get his plan on testing out the draft waters and i think he knows he should return and i think he will. Just saying before penciling him in for next year he at least deserves an asterisk until its official

Totally Fair

Roster 3 months 1 week ago #284601

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 123
@JonRothstein

Under-The-Radar Transfer: St. John's Mikey Dixon. Averaged 16.5 PPG and made 60 3's two years ago as a freshman at Quinnipiac. Bucket. Getter. #SJUBB
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Dan V

Last edit: by SJU61982.

Roster 3 months 1 week ago #284603

• Enright
  • Thank you received: 124
Will the addition of Dixon and Figueroa make 17-18 one of the very few years that SJU can perform at an even level with opponents in making three point shots?
The three point shot has become more and more important in college bb and SJU has almost never been able to make it a significant part of its' offense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT

Roster 3 months 1 week ago #284613

• Mean Gene
  • Thank you received: 124

Enright wrote: Will the addition of Dixon and Figueroa make 17-18 one of the very few years that SJU can perform at an even level with opponents in making three point shots?
The three point shot has become more and more important in college bb and SJU has almost never been able to make it a significant part of its' offense.

I think it will be. Clark hit 3's at a pretty good clip last season, Ponds percentage I believe will improve and Trimble has the ability also. You add Dixon and Figgy and I think that could be the case.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth