Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mullin

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280351

• MJDinkins
  • Thank you received: 314

Class of 72 wrote: Don't say we didn't warn you.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280356

• OLV72
  • Thank you received: 115

Paultzman wrote: Rumors were out there re staff changes, but now doubt it.

Wondering why was Rice was the only name linked to the rumors. If Rice is too much of a risk for SJU why not not look at other candidates? It seems that one of the existing coaches was slated to move on to make room for Rice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280359

• Delaware
  • Thank you received: 37

RedStormNC wrote: Instead of these tweets from Vaccaro and Braziller, they should be requesting some on the record sit down interviews with Mullin for an in depth Q&A for his perspective on the state of affairs of his program.

Exactly. No one wants to ask the tough questions or get under the covers to really see what many things are ailing this program.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedStormNC

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280375

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 124
It's times like these I honestly feel like fans could manage the program better and that's very concerning. Someone needs to light a fire under Mullin's arse above him. I know some will say that's the problem: he was given unlimited power. Will Brown is starting to look like coach K by comparison. The experiment has exploded. Let's be real...who's coming in next year? When's the last time we signed a 4 star HS recruit? At this point I can't even blame Ponds if he leaves. Sounds like the program is a total mess with zero continuity. Before I'm accused of histrionics, be sure to state what I said that isn't true.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 41ndone

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280380

• Class of 72
  • Thank you received: 1022

Mike Zaun wrote: It's times like these I honestly feel like fans could manage the program better and that's very concerning. Someone needs to light a fire under Mullin's arse above him. I know some will say that's the problem: he was given unlimited power. Will Brown is starting to look like coach K by comparison. The experiment has exploded. Let's be real...who's coming in next year? When's the last time we signed a 4 star HS recruit? At this point I can't even blame Ponds if he leaves. Sounds like the program is a total mess with zero continuity. Before I'm accused of histrionics, be sure to state what I said that isn't true.

What isn't true is the 4 star comment. Williams is a 4 star. Ponds was a 4 star. Simon was a 4 star. LoVett was a 4 star. Yakwe was a 4 star.
Ahmed, Mussini and Clark were 4 star equivalent when they arrived. The rest were 3 star players.
Talent wasn't the main problem. Keeping that talent and filling key vacancies has been a problem.
That's all on the coaches.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280381

• otis
  • Thank you received: 131

Mike Zaun wrote: Mike Zaun wrote:
............Let’s be real...who's coming in next year? When's the last time we signed a 4 star HS recruit?

StJohn’s incoming recruit Greg Williams, Jr., a 6’3” shooting guard from Lafayette, La. is rated by Rivals as a 4*.

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280396

• Tom in Salem
  • Thank you received: 100

otis wrote:

............Let’s be real...who's coming in next year? When's the last time we signed a 4 star HS recruit?

StJohn’s incoming recruit Greg Williams, Jr., a 6’3” shooting guard from Lafayette, La. is rated by Rivals as a 4*.

247sports.com/player/greg-williams-91813

WE AREN'T EVEN DePAUL

WE AREN'T EVEN DePAUL

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280398

• Mike Zaun

otis wrote:

Not consensus. I should have added that. He's a 3 star on 247. Ponds was a clear 4 star anywhere you could look. I also said HS recruits, not transfers like Simon. So again, when was the last time we signed a consensus 4 star recruit out of HS? In order to compete consistently, you can't just go get 1 good HS recruit every 4 year cycle and fill in the rest with JUCOS/transfers. Successful programs consistently either recruit good 4 star players every cycle or find underrated recruits from overseas and elsewhere like Gonzaga. We have done neither. From the Owens comments it sounds like he felt the program had no direction or player development and I honestly agree. Especially with our bigs...imagine how easy it is to negatively recruit us with big men. All you have to say is "Look at all the bigs there...they are all leaving because they don't develop".

It seems we wait until we hit rock bottom of rock bottom before we make a change. UConn just fired a head coach that won a NC. Some programs would never do that. Competent programs like them understand that it's not who you are or what you did years ago...it's what you're doing (or not doing) now. They were mediocre for a few years and they pulled the plug before they were in the AAC basement. Sometimes it feels like our program tolerates too much in terms of mediocrity or failure...more so than other programs. If we do not make huge strides next year, we must pull the plug immediately via begging resignation or firing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dan V

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280400

• otis
  • Thank you received: 131

.......He's a 3 star on 247.

I am sure as a StJohn's fan you will be pleased to learn that in addition to being a 4* Rival recruit, StJohn’s incoming recruit Greg Williams, Jr.,. is also rated by ESPN as a 4*.

Mullin 1 month 1 week ago #280402

• Mike Zaun

otis wrote:

.......He's a 3 star on 247.

I am sure as a StJohn's fan you will be pleased to learn that in addition to being a 4* Rival recruit, StJohn’s incoming recruit Greg Williams, Jr.,. is also rated by ESPN as a 4*.

Don't get me wrong, he's a solid recruit but not really hearing that he is a game changer like Ponds, Simon, etc. I actually think Dixon will end up being better. You can't say we've recruited well...we haven't. We are relying on transfers as we cannot get HS kids to come at the moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Class of 72

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth