Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mullin

Mullin 3 months 14 hours ago #285261

• Chris7
  • Thank you received: 24

Paultzman wrote: Anton Goff and Joe Oliva seem like decent guys, but doubt either provides Chris with any guidance, constructive criticism or evaluation. My guess is our President is the last man standing in that regard. How that works would be interesting to see.

Lastly, it is my impression that administration expected Chris to be consistently involved in fundraising efforts and events, in light of their financial commitment to the program. Hopefully that has occurred.

SJU, from what a number of folks have told me, is facing a number of financial challenges. One example the NYS Excelsior Free College Tuition Program which has adversely effected SJU enrollment. In such trying times, an all hands on deck effort seems prudent. In my opinion, a nationally recognized guy like Chris could really be a key resource meeting this challenge.

I've been saying this for a while now, no one on here wanted to buy into it. The school is in financial trouble. Makes me wonder if that's why we have less games at MSG, they don't want to pay. Who knows.

As for Mullin, I'd have no problem with him being as hands off as he is, *IF* he had a supporting staff to do so. By all accounts Matt is out there busting his ass left and right. He can't do it alone. Just like a young kid can't in-game coach alone. The good old Brooklyn stubbornness seems as if it may bite CM in the ass at the end of the day. He needs to get with the program. Now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mullin 3 months 14 hours ago #285262

• JohnnyFan
  • Thank you received: 621

mjmaherjr wrote: We make the NCAA next year he feels vindicated and mutual retirement

I definitely see this as a possible scenario. In order to resurrect a program like St. John's, the head coach needs to eat, sleep and breathe the job 24/7. At this point in his life, I don't think Chris is there. Hopefully, he releases us so we can pursue what we need.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61

Mullin 3 months 13 hours ago #285265

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1091

JohnnyFan wrote:

mjmaherjr wrote: We make the NCAA next year he feels vindicated and mutual retirement

I definitely see this as a possible scenario. In order to resurrect a program like St. John's, the head coach needs to eat, sleep and breathe the job 24/7. At this point in his life, I don't think Chris is there. Hopefully, he releases us so we can pursue what we need.

I hear you guys, but I remain stunned.
It's antithetical to my view of CM that he would do anything 'half-baked'.
Yeah, it seems obvious he's been missing-in-action on the recruiting trail, but I attributed that to family re-lo issues.
I still retain hope that an exciting season in 2018-19, and the resolution of CM's family issues will revive CM's energy level and enthusiasm for St. John's basketball.
That's my sentiment until the verdict is in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLV72, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, NCJohnnie

Mullin 3 months 13 hours ago #285267

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 116
Sounds reasonable hope you are right

Mullin 3 months 13 hours ago #285269

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 286
Thanks Chicago
Not easy to run a life, interact with family, kids, one's own demons....especially with the tremendous undertaking of a
Div 1 program which has become - like all sports - 52 month a year job.
It seems all or at least most of our chatter on this site is speculation - who really knows what is currently motivating or distracting Chris Mullin.
He has been a winner all of his life. He loves St. Johns and Louie.
I hope this year is his best and we move forward in a solid direction.
As with you I hope for the best. Maybe a surprisingly good year ahead.
We shall see soon enough.
Until then it is all speculation unless someone on board has intimate knowledge of the inner circle workings.
All the best.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61, Chicago Days

Mullin 3 months 13 hours ago #285274

• Chicago Days

Sherman, Sheridan & Grant wrote: Thanks Chicago
Not easy to run a life, interact with family, kids, one's own demons....especially with the tremendous undertaking of a
Div 1 program which has become - like all sports - 52 month a year job.
It seems all or at least most of our chatter on this site is speculation - who really knows what is currently motivating or distracting Chris Mullin.
He has been a winner all of his life. He loves St. Johns and Louie.
I hope this year is his best and we move forward in a solid direction.
As with you I hope for the best. Maybe a surprisingly good year ahead.
We shall see soon enough.
Until then it is all speculation unless someone on board has intimate knowledge of the inner circle workings.
All the best.

Thanks General. Good sentiments. I agree.

Mullin 3 months 13 hours ago #285278

• bamafan
  • Thank you received: 481

Chicago Days wrote:

JohnnyFan wrote:

Yeah, it seems obvious he's been missing-in-action on the recruiting trail, but I attributed that to family re-lo issues.
I still retain hope that an exciting season in 2018-19, and the resolution of CM's family issues will revive CM's energy level and enthusiasm for St. John's basketball.

He is going into his 4th season and getting paid 2 million per and he has family relocation issues that are interfering with his ability to do his job? Sorry, not buying that as a legitimate excuse but I am also not saying that is the case as I have no idea what the true story is regarding CM's work ethic or his efforts toward his job.

Mullin 3 months 12 hours ago #285280

• Chicago Days

bamafan wrote:

Chicago Days wrote:

JohnnyFan wrote:

He is going into his 4th season and getting paid 2 million per and he has family relocation issues that are interfering with his ability to do his job? Sorry, not buying that as a legitimate excuse but I am also not saying that is the case as I have no idea what the true story is regarding CM's work ethic or his efforts toward his job.

I don't know either, Bama--but that's the 'buzz'.
Lots of guys with major responsibility under perform in sports and life for less-sensitive issues than family re-lo 3,000 miles across a continent.
Let's hope that it resolves itself, because I do expect to dance in 2018-19 and would enjoy having a revived CM our Head Coach into a contract extension.
We'll know soon enough.

Mullin 3 months 4 hours ago #285312

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 146

bamafan wrote:

Chicago Days wrote:

JohnnyFan wrote:

You're right, it's not a legitimate excuse.
He's still making 2million to do a job.

If he can't do the job because of family issues, then he should step down.
Sorry, but when you're making 2million per year to do a job, there are no excuse.

I guess I'm not in awe of Mullin's greatness like others seem to be.

Mullin 3 months 4 hours ago #285315

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 975
oldschool Redmen wrote: You're right, it's not a legitimate excuse.
He's still making 2million to do a job.

If he can't do the job because of family issues, then he should step down.
Sorry, but when you're making 2million per year to do a job, there are no excuse.

I guess I'm not in awe of Mullin's greatness like others seem to be.

This year is critical to the staff and the team, no question. Having said that, family always should and does comes first whether you are making $20K, $200K or $2million. I've gone through relocations at a tough time for my kids and it ain't easy no matter what your salary is. Has nothing to do with being in awe of greatness, just putting yourself in the other guys shoes. If they bomb this year suspect there will be a change, but I hope the opposite is true. An NCAA tourney year with a couple of 4 star recruits and our best player of all time at the helm is the best outcome we can hope for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SJU85, Chicago Days

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth