Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mullin

Mullin 6 days 16 hours ago #285216

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 1024
here is an interesting question and not pertaining to Mullin exclusively. ( I should probably put this on the all things Maher thread )

This years schedule is looking to be significantly weaker than last year. As my good friend OLV72 texted to us last night we might need 22 to 23 wins to make the NCAA.

Personally I loved the schedule last year but this year with what I personally think will be a down big east I'm not crazy about the schedule
The following user(s) said Thank You: OLV72, bamafan, rawdognyc, Tom in Salem, JohnnyFan, Chicago Days, Dan V

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mullin 6 days 16 hours ago #285217

• Paultzman
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2670
See how program progresses this year & go from there from winning & recruiting perspective.
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61, Class of 72, bamafan, rawdognyc, Chicago Days

Last edit: by Paultzman.

Mullin 6 days 16 hours ago #285219

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 658

NCJohnnie wrote: Chicago Days wrote: rawdognyc wrote: Paultz and some others have more of a finger on the pulse of the team than the rest of us. So my question to Paultz and 72, is would it be best to cut ties with Chris after this next season, no matter the outcome? I like and support Chris, however I just don't think he has the fire in his belly to make this a long time gig. So with that said, and for program continuity, what are the chances that majority of the staff stay on, except for Chris and Mitch? I honestly would love for GSJ to become the next head coach. You can see the fire that burns in his belly. I think Greg as the HC, with Matt as his top assistant wouldn't be all that bad. Especially if they can bring in a couple of other experienced assistants.. 1 more recruiter and a big man coach. I kind of liked when Zendon was helping out. IDK.. Just bored and looking for opinions. Thanks

IMO, there's no way the Administration or most posters on this Board, including me, would call for CM to leave after next season IF he has an NCAA Tournament-qualifying season.
I think the hope--if not the gut--is that things break well professionally and personally for Chris , he and his family relocate back East, and he stays through a contract extension.
We shall see.

Chicago, agree. It is amazing the extreme positions taken with regard to Mullin. There is a certain group of posters who have the view that he doesn't really care, no fire in the belly, sees his coaching as a favor to the school etc.; another group of posters believe Chris is consumed with a passion to bring SJU back to the glory days and will do whatever he humanly can to get us there. I am of the view that Chris really does want to get us back to where we used to be and can be, but this desire is complicated by his family being unexpectedly across the country and everything that entails, particularly in the offseason. I also take note of Class of 72's point that Chris has a reputation of being stubborn. He did come under criticism for that during his years in NBA management on the west coast. The seeming lack of a second recruiter is troubling, especially since so many seem to recognize it, but nothing is done.
However, there is no question that (i) his core group of players stayed the course under the most adverse circumstances last year; (ii) in game coaching improved markedly last year; and (iii) he has brought in some very good talent that will hopefully get us to the dance in 2018-2019. I think we all agree that getting two very solid recruits in the 2019 class is crucial and the reliance on transfers needs to change as he builds the program going forward. Having said that, another coaching change is the last thing we should be hoping for. Success and continuity generally go hand-in-hand. As you would say Chicago, let's go Johnnies.

Lol. You nailed it again, NCJohnnie. Thanks man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Mullin 6 days 16 hours ago #285220

• Tom in Salem
  • Thank you received: 100
We'll know on November 21st if he gets another.
Strike out again and the ensuing season in inconsequential.

WE AREN'T EVEN DePAUL
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Chicago Days

WE AREN'T EVEN DePAUL

Mullin 6 days 16 hours ago #285221

• OLV72
  • Thank you received: 115

Tom in Salem wrote: We'll know on November 21st if he gets another.

So you are not predicting a 30 win season next year?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Tom in Salem, Chicago Days

Mullin 6 days 16 hours ago #285222

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 658

Tom in Salem wrote: We'll know on November 21st if he gets another.

Okay, the end of the early commitment season.
While I agree, this Board will be gnashing its gums IF we fail to get a key early commitment, it would be way-too-early in the season to write the season or the final recruiting tally off.
But I agree Tom: zeroes on the scoreboard on that date would raise the stress levels mightily on Redmen.com.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem, NCJohnnie

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

Mullin 6 days 11 hours ago #285232

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 106
After how good the starting 5 was last with no bench, I think Mullins deserves this year, see how he coaches this year with depth. With some key returnees (Ponds, Clark and Simon), to add a capable bench (unlike last year), to me there no excuse why we can't make the NCAA.
If Chris goes 4 yrs and nothing, then he should go.

He didn't want no help from an experience coach, didn't bring in another recruiter.
OK cool, let him do it his way, he thinks he can win with this staff? GREAT.
Time to prove it can work.

Last edit: by oldschool Redmen.

Mullin 6 days 11 hours ago #285233

• oldschool Redmen
  • Thank you received: 106

mjmaherjr wrote: here is an interesting question and not pertaining to Mullin exclusively. ( I should probably put this on the all things Maher thread )

This years schedule is looking to be significantly weaker than last year. As my good friend OLV72 texted to us last night we might need 22 to 23 wins to make the NCAA.

Personally I loved the schedule last year but this year with what I personally think will be a down big east I'm not crazy about the schedule

After last year, I'll watch preseason, but really get into it during BE play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr

Last edit: by oldschool Redmen.

Mullin 6 days 11 hours ago #285234

• mjmaherjr
  • Thank you received: 1024
We make the NCAA next year he feels vindicated and mutual retirement
The following user(s) said Thank You: frank61, Class of 72, panther2

Mullin 6 days 4 hours ago #285238

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 124

Beast of the East wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: Kind of brings to mind the person who walks into the job knowing no one can tell them anything (maybe they are family of the boss or something) vs. the hungry younger guy fighting to move up the ladder. It does seem they see it as a favor to us rather than having standards they must meet. I'm sure we pushed hard to get him to come, but thus far he has not panned out at all. You need to know when to pull the plug or you risk the program becoming more and more irrelevant with each passing year. 1 more year to decide his fate IMO.

I ignore 90% of your posts because reading 10% guves you the fkavor. Can you just try to give it a rest

My advice would be to keep scrolling and make it 100%. Don't get why that's so hard for so many people. You're the one veering off topic while I stay on topic. My post on JohnnyJungle was when I was brand new and didn't know how to PM or anything...what would you guys do if you paid something like $30 for a shirt and never received it a month later? I asked for a refund and he was acting like a jerk over something that was his problem to begin with (not giving a customer the item he paid for a month ago). Not sure why that's so controversial, but whatever that was like 6 years ago.

I'd like to stay on topic here though...by the way if Mullin does make the tourney next year, I would extend him. Hopefully the recruiting would pick up then.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth