Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: R.I.P. Beaver Smith

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276450

• redken
  • Thank you received: 453
Deepest apologies for my sarcastic post above. I obviously wasn't using my head, and I didn't mean to take away from the sadness we all feel over Beaver's passing and the wonderful memories those of us who were lucky enough to have seen him play cherish. Truly a sad day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redken.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276454

• IDRAFT
  • Thank you received: 122

Paultzman wrote: So sad, one of my favorite SJU players & this is preview of a game I was fortunate to have attended. That night losing was ok, since we really challenged perhaps one of the best, well coached teams in history.

www.nytimes.com/1975/12/29/archives/st-j...-awaits-indiana.html

Also attended this game, my favorite game of all time that the team lost. The atmosphere at MSG was electric. I had seen some SJU games before this but this is the game that cemented me as a fan. RIP Beaver Smith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276455

• redken
  • Thank you received: 453

IDRAFT wrote:

Paultzman wrote: So sad, one of my favorite SJU players & this is preview of a game I was fortunate to have attended. That night losing was ok, since we really challenged perhaps one of the best, well coached teams in history.

Also attended this game, my favorite game of all time that the team lost. The atmosphere at MSG was electric. I had seen some SJU games before this but this is the game that cemented me as a fan. RIP Beaver Smith.

Was there as well. Easily one of my all-time favorite games even though we didn't come out on top.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, IDRAFT

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276456

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 965
I was already well on my way to becoming a Redmen fan when I attended the Indiana game. Smith was an amazing leaper at 6'2", and one of the enduring memories is Smith, Cecil Rellford, and Ed Searcy (I believe it was those three) all going up to block a shot at Alumni Hall in an earlier game, perhaps that season. There was an impenetrable wall of arms flailing for the ball and someone blocked it.

I met his brother at Southside about 15 years ago when one of my kids was playing there. His brother (twin possibly?) was the custodian there, and just about the nicest guy you could imagine. His brother played college ball also, but not at the same level.

Sad, sad day. For many of us, Bill "Beaver" Smith was one of our boys of winter, and forever young and soaring in my mind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken, IDRAFT, Chicago Days

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276457

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • jerseyshorejohnny's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 464

IDRAFT wrote:

I was there as well. Sat up in Blue Heaven in the next to the last row. I remember my father thought my friends and I were nuts for going to the Garden since, I believe, IU smoked Manhattan by 40 the night before.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, IDRAFT, Class of 72

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276458

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1261
R.I.P. Beaver. You made us proud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276459

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • Thank you received: 38
Rest in Peace Beaver Smith; my wife's uncle-in-law was a long time public school custodian in Rockville Center and knew Beaver well. Always kidded me about him as he knew my love of SJU basketball and all things SJU.

Prayers for the repose of his soul and for family and friends left behind.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276461

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 1159
My Dad used to take my buddy and I to St. John's games starting with the days of the McIntyre Brothers, Sonny Dove & Jerry Houston. We had season tickets for several years beginning with the John Warren & Joe Depre led teams and I believe the last year we had season tickets was the year Beaver Smith & Frank Alagia were seniors,Didn't go to the Indiana game in MSG, but saw Beaver many times at Alumni Hall and always enjoyed his above the rim play at 6'4".
RIP Beaver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, panther2

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276466

• Beast of the East
  • Thank you received: 965
Can someone confirm if he had a twin brother , or if his brother played at Siena. Working off old information and one conversation.

I believe Smith was listed at 6'4 but was actually 6'2. I also vaguely remember that Searcy would wear 7 pairs of socks, for what benefit I don't know.

Also, did Smith ever win the award as the best college player in the Metro area. Again, a vague recollection.

Last edit: by Beast of the East.

R.I.P. Beaver Smith 6 months 1 week ago #276468

• Las Vegan
  • Thank you received: 80
Great Redman, he always had to defend the opponent's best forward - Phil Sellers - Rutgers, Adrian Dantley - ND, Ernie Grunfeld - Tenn. Scott May, /Tom Abernathy - Indiana, and always did a great job. RIP, Beaver.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redken

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth