Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2018/19 Schedule

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283509

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6409
  • Thank you received: 1457

Mike Zaun wrote: I realize that we had a good SOS last year, but how many people know we had a top 10 SOS? It's not just about that, it's about generating buzz. If it were SJ taking on Kentucky at MSG it would create huge buzz. I'm not saying we can't play any cupcakes...I know even the best teams have cupcakes. I would just like to see maybe 2 more games against real opponents that are nationally recognized. Texas, Florida, FSU, Gonzaga, Indiana, Ohio State, etc. Not world beaters but good solid brands in college basketball. We also seem to play down to competition...look at the Molloy game this past season. Hard to get up for no name schools.


Mike after last year with a crap team and beating Duke and #1 Villanova, how many high profile teams would line up to play St. John's? Be realistic young man!

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At St. John's nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283526

  • richard A Steinfeld
  • richard  A Steinfeld's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3032
  • Thank you received: 327
The problem isn’t the schedule. You have to beat most of the the teams on the schedule. Last year the problem was the 11 game loosing streak and Lovett’s mythical injury.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by richard A Steinfeld.

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283543

  • Las Vegan
  • Las Vegan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 366
  • Thank you received: 62

Class of 72 wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: I realize that we had a good SOS last year, but how many people know we had a top 10 SOS? It's not just about that, it's about generating buzz. If it were SJ taking on Kentucky at MSG it would create huge buzz. I'm not saying we can't play any cupcakes...I know even the best teams have cupcakes. I would just like to see maybe 2 more games against real opponents that are nationally recognized. Texas, Florida, FSU, Gonzaga, Indiana, Ohio State, etc. Not world beaters but good solid brands in college basketball. We also seem to play down to competition...look at the Molloy game this past season. Hard to get up for no name schools.


Mike after last year with a crap team and beating Duke and #1 Villanova, how many high profile teams would line up to play St. John's? Be realistic young man!


I think ND would love a chance to play at the garden, and they would sell enough tickets to make it a profitable game for SJU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283552

  • Tom in Salem
  • Tom in Salem's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5067
  • Thank you received: 223

Las Vegan wrote:

Class of 72 wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: I realize that we had a good SOS last year, but how many people know we had a top 10 SOS? It's not just about that, it's about generating buzz. If it were SJ taking on Kentucky at MSG it would create huge buzz. I'm not saying we can't play any cupcakes...I know even the best teams have cupcakes. I would just like to see maybe 2 more games against real opponents that are nationally recognized. Texas, Florida, FSU, Gonzaga, Indiana, Ohio State, etc. Not world beaters but good solid brands in college basketball. We also seem to play down to competition...look at the Molloy game this past season. Hard to get up for no name schools.


Mike after last year with a crap team and beating Duke and #1 Villanova, how many high profile teams would line up to play St. John's? Be realistic young man!


I think ND would love a chance to play at the garden, and they would sell enough tickets to make it a profitable game for SJU.


No traitors.

WE ARE BETTER THAN DePAUL
The following user(s) said Thank You: richard A Steinfeld

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WE ARE BETTER THAN DePAUL

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283578

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 18337
  • Thank you received: 4476
Rothstein
Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

St. John‘s will face Princeton in the 2018 Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

The game will be held on Sunday, Dec. 9th. The other game of the doubleheader is still undetermined.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Paultzman.

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283580

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2169
  • Thank you received: 1091

Paultzman wrote: Rothstein
Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

St. John‘s will face Princeton in the 2018 Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

The game will be held on Sunday, Dec. 9th. The other game of the doubleheader is still undetermined.


Cool. Just hope they still don't play Pete Carril's slow/slower/slowest 'Princeton offense'. Used to kill us as well as many other teams.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283581

  • SJU61982
  • SJU61982's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2716
  • Thank you received: 123

Paultzman wrote: Rothstein
Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

St. John‘s will face Princeton in the 2018 Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

The game will be held on Sunday, Dec. 9th. The other game of the doubleheader is still undetermined.


Not a very good team last year, but look at these scores. Clearly, we will not be playing your father's Princeton Tigers.

goprincetontigers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=574

Top returners are #3 Devin Cannady (16.7 PPG, which led the team last year), and #12 Myles Stephens (15.3 PPG, second best on the team).

Also, IIRC, Princeton has a decent sized fan base (very strong by Ivy League standards).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by SJU61982.

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283635

  • bamafan
  • bamafan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 4636
  • Thank you received: 484

Chicago Days wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Rothstein
Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

St. John‘s will face Princeton in the 2018 Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

The game will be held on Sunday, Dec. 9th. The other game of the doubleheader is still undetermined.


Cool. Just hope they still don't play Pete Carril's slow/slower/slowest 'Princeton offense'. Used to kill us as well as many other teams.

Of course they run the Princeton offense, they have to they're Princeton, any offense they run is the Princeton offense because they are Princeton...etc. etc. etc. :dry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days, Dan V

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283637

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2169
  • Thank you received: 1091

bamafan wrote:

Chicago Days wrote:

Paultzman wrote: Rothstein
Anthony Gruppuso-USA TODAY Sports

St. John‘s will face Princeton in the 2018 Holiday Festival at Madison Square Garden, multiple sources told FanRag Sports.

The game will be held on Sunday, Dec. 9th. The other game of the doubleheader is still undetermined.


Cool. Just hope they still don't play Pete Carril's slow/slower/slowest 'Princeton offense'. Used to kill us as well as many other teams.

Of course they run the Princeton offense, they have to they're Princeton, any offense they run is the Princeton offense because they are Princeton...etc. etc. etc. :dry:


Lol Bama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bamafan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2018/19 Schedule 3 months 2 weeks ago #283772

  • SJU61982
  • SJU61982's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2716
  • Thank you received: 123

Paultzman wrote: Rothstein
St. John's will host Mount St. Mary's as part of its 2018-19 non-conference schedule, per a source. #SJUBB


Mount St. Mary's head coach Jamion Christian, just left for Siena, FWIW.

www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/new...from-mount-st-marys/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth