Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2018/19 Schedule

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 2 days ago #285244

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 2731
Big East is down somewhat.

SJU has an easier out of conference schedule.

Door is open for successful “dance” season with Ponds.

Can Chris, staff & team seize the moment, independent of injuries of significance?

To me this season is litmus test with ample opportunity to impress, show program is alive and positively impact recruiting. Time for SJU to get some return on its ample financial investment in this regime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Section3, OLV72, JackofVirginia, Class of 72, Andrew, L J S A, JohnnyFan, Chicago Days, Windy City Johnny Fan, NCJohnnie and 1 other people also said thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Paultzman.

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 2 days ago #285245

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 182
The Princeton game is at MSG. We should try to schedule a game against a top program every year at the Garden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Chicago Days, Mike Zaun

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 2 days ago #285246

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 182

Paultzman wrote: Big East is down somewhat.

SJU has an easier out of conference schedule.

Door is open for successful “dance” season with Ponds.

Can Chris, staff & team seize the moment, independent of injuries of significance?

To me this season is litmus test with ample opportunity to impress, show program is alive and positively impact recruiting. Time for SJU to get some return on its ample financial investment in this regime.

Schedule will be easier next year which also could mean less margin of error to get into the NCAA's for those who think that is attainable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, OLV72, Manhattan1

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 2 days ago #285249

• Manhattan1
  • Thank you received: 52
Agree - Depending on who the last opponent is you need to go 11-2 non conference.

Big East will probably need 10 or 11 wins as the RPI will not be as high with this schedule.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 2 days ago #285250

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 124
Agreed regarding major opponents at MSG. Imagine Michigan St. vs. SJ at the Garden...or UNC...or something. I have a hard time believing we can't get some top programs to bite at that with the exposure in NYC. What could the reasoning be if they're the ones turning us down?

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 2 days ago #285252

• alexander salem
  • Thank you received: 40

Mike Zaun wrote: Agreed regarding major opponents at MSG. Imagine Michigan St. vs. SJ at the Garden...or UNC...or something. I have a hard time believing we can't get some top programs to bite at that with the exposure in NYC. What could the reasoning be if they're the ones turning us down?

Good teams have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing us at MSG when we aren't good. We have played well in the garden these past few seasons, the kids enjoy playing there.

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 2 days ago #285253

• richard A Steinfeld
  • Thank you received: 226

alexander salem wrote:

Mike Zaun wrote: Agreed regarding major opponents at MSG. Imagine Michigan St. vs. SJ at the Garden...or UNC...or something. I have a hard time believing we can't get some top programs to bite at that with the exposure in NYC. What could the reasoning be if they're the ones turning us down?

Good teams have nothing to gain and everything to lose by playing us at MSG when we aren't good. We have played well in the garden these past few seasons, the kids enjoy playing there.

It also seems like good teams like to get home and away series. IE Our Duke series and recent Syracuse series. Although it would be nice to start a series w another quality opponent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, bamafan, Chicago Days

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 1 day ago #285255

• Mike Zaun
  • Thank you received: 124

alexander salem wrote:

I would think playing in NYC to showcase for potential major recruits in the NYC area is a reason to. That said, I guess they get the best ones anyway :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 1 day ago #285259

• alexander salem
  • Thank you received: 40

richard A Steinfeld wrote:

alexander salem wrote:

It also seems like good teams like to get home and away series. IE Our Duke series and recent Syracuse series. Although it would be nice to start a series w another quality opponent.

Good teams would prefer to play a home and neutral series if always given the choice. They already have tough games scheduled through tournaments/challenges. The last thing they want is playing a tough road game to subpar teams. Duke and Syracuse are horrible examples because their crowds always pack out MSG. Its basically a second home court for them.

2018/19 Schedule 1 week 1 day ago #285284

• SJU61982
  • Thank you received: 64

alexander salem wrote:

richard A Steinfeld wrote:

alexander salem wrote:

Good teams would prefer to play a home and neutral series if always given the choice. They already have tough games scheduled through tournaments/challenges. The last thing they want is playing a tough road game to subpar teams. Duke and Syracuse are horrible examples because their crowds always pack out MSG. Its basically a second home court for them.

And even with that supposed advantage, they still don't beat us. So, you can understand why a team that wouldn't draw quite as well (Notre Dame, BC, West Virginia, just to name a few) does not want to take their chances. They'd much rather play at MSG in a neutral tournament, where the ticket distribution is equal.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth