Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Regular season grades

Regular season grades 6 months 2 weeks ago #275101

  • we are sju
  • we are sju's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3059
  • Thank you received: 208

redmanwest wrote: Mostly OK, but:

Clark, right grade but the "solid mid major type guy" characterization unfair
Ponds, (sorry in advance), A-, his defensive lapses are too glaring and fixable
Alibegovic, (sorry again) the late praise is justifiable, and the team spirit is great, but his grade can be no better than a D due to his inability to play at this level, turnover machine status, unwise shot selection and stubborn refusal to play low and rebound; nice kid tho


just meant that mid majors always seem to have 6-6 guys that play the 4 that can knock down threes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: redmanwest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regular season grades 6 months 2 weeks ago #275185

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6573
  • Thank you received: 1638
Agree with most grades but Ahmed gets a B in my book. Shamorie gets a B+ because he was part of the 0-11 streak. Mullin coached the shortest bench in college ball to 15 wins with huge wins over the #1 and #3 teams. He is not the rookie coach anymore and gets a B from me because he managed to hold the players together. Could have easily won 18 or more games with a complete roster.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, JohnnyFan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regular season grades 6 months 2 weeks ago #275187

  • cappy105
  • cappy105's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1043
  • Thank you received: 24
Simon, Clark, and Owens were warriors this year. Never gave up or missed a minute. Cant fault them for anything. Mullin coached better but he and his staff are to blame for us being shorthanded all year. Ponds- when on...arguably the best player in college, when off, tunnel vision and erratic. Ahmed- solid, but up and down too. AA- please, nice guy and great teammate but he is Marco Baldi 2.0. Yakwe- gets incomplete because really had no mins. LoVett- sorry but in my mind, a quitter. The truth hurts fellas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regular season grades 6 months 2 weeks ago #275198

  • Amaseinyourface
  • Amaseinyourface's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2759
  • Thank you received: 74

Class of 72 wrote: Agree with most grades but Ahmed gets a B in my book. Shamorie gets a B+ because he was part of the 0-11 streak. Mullin coached the shortest bench in college ball to 15 wins with huge wins over the #1 and #3 teams. He is not the rookie coach anymore and gets a B from me because he managed to hold the players together. Could have easily won 18 or more games with a complete roster.


Ponds 1/2 letter grade better than ahmad? Yikes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regular season grades 6 months 2 weeks ago #275204

  • Class of 72
  • Class of 72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 6573
  • Thank you received: 1638

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: Agree with most grades but Ahmed gets a B in my book. Shamorie gets a B+ because he was part of the 0-11 streak. Mullin coached the shortest bench in college ball to 15 wins with huge wins over the #1 and #3 teams. He is not the rookie coach anymore and gets a B from me because he managed to hold the players together. Could have easily won 18 or more games with a complete roster.


Ponds 1/2 letter grade better than ahmad? Yikes


Don't be fooled by his points per game average. Ponds took over 200 more field goal attempts than Bashir Ahmed but both their overall shooting % is 41%. Ponds also took 172 to Bashir's 126 three point shots but Ponds shot a poor 26% to Bashir’s 34%. Both were average defenders while Bashir was a poor rebounder while Ponds was an excellent rebounding guard with a better nose for the ball. Ponds drops from an A because he had some really bad games during the losing streak that had a big impact in the losses aND the season. A B grade is good and Bashir was a good player. Shamorie was above average but could have been more consistent which leads me to his flirtation with the NBA. He is just an average defender and passer but he was a below average 3 point shooter. Just don't see him being drafted this year.
All characters and events depicted in this post are entirely fictitious. Any similarity to actual events or persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental. 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Class of 72.

Regular season grades 6 months 1 week ago #275215

  • ctstorm
  • ctstorm's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 400
  • Thank you received: 30

Class of 72 wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: Agree with most grades but Ahmed gets a B in my book. Shamorie gets a B+ because he was part of the 0-11 streak. Mullin coached the shortest bench in college ball to 15 wins with huge wins over the #1 and #3 teams. He is not the rookie coach anymore and gets a B from me because he managed to hold the players together. Could have easily won 18 or more games with a complete roster.


Ponds 1/2 letter grade better than ahmad? Yikes


Don't be fooled by his points per game average. Ponds took over 200 more field goal attempts than Bashir Ahmed but both their overall shooting % is 41%. Ponds also took 172 to Bashir's 126 three point shots but Ponds shot a poor 26% to Bashir’s 34%. Both were average defenders while Bashir was a poor rebounder while Ponds was an excellent rebounding guard with a better nose for the ball. Ponds drops from an A because he had some really bad games during the losing streak that had a big impact in the losses aND the season. A B grade is good and Bashir was a good player. Shamorie was above average but could have been more consistent which leads me to his flirtation with the NBA. He is just an average defender and passer but he was a below average 3 point shooter. Just don't see him being drafted this year.


Yikes! All Big East gets a B+? You will never survive as a teacher today. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regular season grades 6 months 1 week ago #275218

  • SLYFOXX1968
  • SLYFOXX1968's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 410
  • Thank you received: 183
I hope you are aware that ND needed a very questionable foul call to beat a ACC winless Pitt team yesterday by 3 points . And , that was with Colson playing . You are Nit Picking on Lovett’s Defense for a few possessions in a game early in the season vs Missouri . Lovett’s defensive style was pressure all the time and take risk and gamble to create a steal or turnover . He could do that as he had Owens to bail him out in with a block . Lovett’s game was constant energy all the time . He went all out , pretty much every play . Rarely walked the ball upcourt . Had some turnovers but, again his style made up for the miscues . I think you missed the whole point though about Brey being held accountable for a losing record after Colson went down . Yet, many here , like you , hold Mullin accountable for the adverse impact of losing Lovett , first to injury , then to whatever his decision was to not return . Stay with that if you like but, there are other opinions just as valid as yours . Maybe more so .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regular season grades 6 months 1 week ago #275225

  • JohnnyFan
  • JohnnyFan's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2760
  • Thank you received: 700
A-
Ponds (On Jan. 31st, would have given him a C.)
Simon (super athlete, needs to reduce turnovers)
Clark (strong leadership intangibles, has brought both shooting and rebounding to the table)

*In the analysis, I think you have to consider that Simon & Clark were a full year removed from competitive basketball

B+
Owens (high energy, heart and soul of the team, improved his shot. Still no low post moves. Needs help in the paint)
Ahmed (great effort every game, hit many big 3's, played more under control, not clutch on the line. We will miss him)

B-
Trimble (Impressive shooter, smart player with low turnover rate. Needs to get in better shape and atone for last week's issue)

C
Amar (brought passion and performed to his capabilities. Johnny for life)

C-
Yakwe (Total head scratcher. A lot of untapped talent and size. What the heck happen to the aggressiveness he showed as a freshman???)

D
Lovett (Appreciate that he came here, so won't give him a F)

As far as the coaches......it all comes down to retaining the Ponds, Clark, Simon and Owens. Nothing else matters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JohnnyFan.

Regular season grades 6 months 1 week ago #275241

  • Amaseinyourface
  • Amaseinyourface's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2759
  • Thank you received: 74

Class of 72 wrote:

Amaseinyourface wrote:

Class of 72 wrote: Agree with most grades but Ahmed gets a B in my book. Shamorie gets a B+ because he was part of the 0-11 streak. Mullin coached the shortest bench in college ball to 15 wins with huge wins over the #1 and #3 teams. He is not the rookie coach anymore and gets a B from me because he managed to hold the players together. Could have easily won 18 or more games with a complete roster.


Ponds 1/2 letter grade better than ahmad? Yikes


Don't be fooled by his points per game average. Ponds took over 200 more field goal attempts than Bashir Ahmed but both their overall shooting % is 41%. Ponds also took 172 to Bashir's 126 three point shots but Ponds shot a poor 26% to Bashir’s 34%. Both were average defenders while Bashir was a poor rebounder while Ponds was an excellent rebounding guard with a better nose for the ball. Ponds drops from an A because he had some really bad games during the losing streak that had a big impact in the losses aND the season. A B grade is good and Bashir was a good player. Shamorie was above average but could have been more consistent which leads me to his flirtation with the NBA. He is just an average defender and passer but he was a below average 3 point shooter. Just don't see him being drafted this year.


To say ponds is just an average passer is also unfair IMO. Thought Ahmed played better last season, but has had some really good games to finish the year. Hopefully that carries into the BE tourney.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Regular season grades 6 months 1 week ago #275242

  • Amaseinyourface
  • Amaseinyourface's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2759
  • Thank you received: 74

JohnnyFan wrote: A-
Ponds (On Jan. 31st, would have given him a C.)


Wow, what were your expectations for him this year? 30 & 10?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth