Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #275991

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 1279
Maybe before we hired Lavin. But the guy is now proven to have run a dirty program—whether he gets tainted with that or not. Doubt he’d deign to coach St. John’s—not enough bucks in the Endowment Fund for him to take.
And I wouldn’t want the guy on our sideline.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #275992

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 178

Chicago Days wrote: Maybe before we hired Lavin. But the guy is now proven to have run a dirty program—whether he gets tainted with that or not. Doubt he’d deign to coach St. John’s—not enough bucks in the Endowment Fund for him to take.

Nothing has been “proven” in a court of law, by the NCAA (insert joke here), just by Louisville Administration and probably (and most likely) the court of opinion (which includes me who thinks he is dirty).

Any team asking him own is running a big risk, face a lot of condemnation and backlash against that program and the school itself. Have to weigh if it is really worth it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Chicago Days

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #275993

• Andrew
  • Thank you received: 312

Sju grad 13 wrote: I would take Pitno in a heartbeat. Especially him knowing his way around the Northeast ( recruiting wise).

I hope your joking. I’d rather have to join the MAAC then hire that fraud.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, Chicago Days

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #275994

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 5012
Add North Carolina State to the list of schools that have been subpoenaed in the Justice Department's ongoing investigation into college basketball. Latest story with @TheWillHobson:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, Tom in Salem

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #275996

• firestorm
  • Thank you received: 48

Sju grad 13 wrote: I would take Pitno in a heartbeat. Especially him knowing his way around the Northeast ( recruiting wise).

Uh, I still kinda like the guy we got. Just saying...

Chris has lots to prove, but we're making progress. And I'd rather have a guy who loves the school, loves the city and is driven by values that go beyond a buck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 88grad, Frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant, JohnnyFan, Chicago Days

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #276000

• Chicago Days

SJU85 wrote:

Chicago Days wrote: Maybe before we hired Lavin. But the guy is now proven to have run a dirty program—whether he gets tainted with that or not. Doubt he’d deign to coach St. John’s—not enough bucks in the Endowment Fund for him to take.

Nothing has been “proven” in a court of law, by the NCAA (insert joke here), just by Louisville Administration and probably (and most likely) the court of opinion (which includes me who thinks he is dirty).

Any team asking him own is running a big risk, face a lot of condemnation and backlash against that program and the school itself. Have to weigh if it is really worth it.

You’re right—not proven in a court of law.
Just ran with my emotions.
To me, and many others, the guy is already ‘guilty’. That’s not ‘fair’— but there’s s reason for that.
Some of its envy I suppose, but, to me, the guy has always dissed St. John’s and so, I’ve never liked the guy.

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #276001

• Mean Gene
  • Thank you received: 140

firestorm wrote:

Chris has lots to prove, but we're making progress. And I'd rather have a guy who loves the school, loves the city and is driven by values that go beyond a buck.

Beyond the buck??? I love Mullin but he’s getting paid 2 million dollars a year and he never coached before. He didn’t give us a discount.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mjmaherjr, Class of 72, sjc88, Tom in Salem

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #276009

• Chicago Days

Mean Gene wrote:

firestorm wrote:

Beyond the buck??? I love Mullin but he’s getting paid 2 million dollars a year and he never coached before. He didn’t give us a discount.

What kind of a ‘discount’ would a guy with CM’s resume get—even to a job he has no direct experience in? He’s a ‘brand’. NBA HOF. Dream Team Star. NBA career executive. A rep as a gym rat and a guy that through ‘hard work’ overcame so-so ‘natural ability and who has ‘no quit’ In him.
Plus, consider his ‘value’ to St. John’s as our best player in the school’s history and his loyalty to the school, his ties to Louie, his rep in the business of basketball.
The University ‘family’ hired their ‘shining’ star for $2mm/year.
Agree ‘no discount’.
And he has yet to field and coach a winning team—which he must do next year, or the honeymoon would be over.
(I think and hope that he will.)
But while there was no discount for his services—I think it was a fair price at the time, considering his ‘brand’.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61, Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Last edit: by Chicago Days.

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #276010

• Sherman, Sheridan & Grant
  • Thank you received: 302

firestorm wrote:

Most of us, in our heart of hearts, would not be comfortable or satisfied winning by cheating. Another virtue of SJU and Chris Mullin - imperfect though they may be.
Grateful that we are moving, honestly, in a positive direction.

Postscript:
Lou Carnesecca, Former St. John's Head Coach (1965-70; 1973-92) and 1992 Naismith Hall of Fame Inductee
On Chris Mullin as a head coach:
"It's a glorious day. I can't tell you how I feel about it, but I think everyone on the East Coast feels the same way, and maybe even around the country. I don't have to talk about what he has done, but there is one thing I want to say. I know he will make us proud."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank61

Last edit: by Sherman, Sheridan & Grant.

NCAA corruption case poised to take down Hall of Fame coaches, top programs 6 months 1 week ago #276031

• firestorm
  • Thank you received: 48

Mean Gene wrote:

firestorm wrote:

Not saying Chris treats us like a charity. You want a big name, you have to pay...

But Pitino's only loyalty is to the next big payday. He's proven over and over again that he'll walk out on his "dream job" for one dollar more.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth