Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Around the Big East '17-18

6 months 4 days ago #266645

• NCJohnnie
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 712
Not a great weekend for the Big East so far. Looking for Johnnies to finish it on an up note!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 4 days ago #266647

• Paul Massell
  • Paul Massell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 401
Providence comes back via pressure defense for the win but they still played real sloppy at the end and it could have gone the other way. They gave SB several chances to take it.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

6 months 3 days ago #266795

• gman
  • Thank you received: 165
Former 3 star, top 175 PG leaving SHU

They have only had one 4* in the 2015/2016/2017/2018 recruiting classes. If I was a SHU fan I would be really worried about their future after their seniors leave this year.

Edit: They do have some good transfers coming in, but not sure they can offset the loss of their big 3.

Adam Zagoria‏Verified account
@AdamZagoria
40m40 minutes ago
More
Freshman PG Jordan Walker has left Seton Hall, source confirms. First by @Andrew__Slater

6 months 3 days ago #266801

• Sju grad 13
  • Thank you received: 162
That’s not good for SHU. Not because he was important this year, but he was needed for next year. I also believe he attended the Patrick School as well. That could ruffle some feathers with the power program.

We struggle to keep kids in the Tri-State area, but SHU really really struggles to keep talent in the Tri-State area, they don’t need that extra hurdle. I actually want SHU to be good for a long time.

6 months 2 days ago #266826

• capmaker
  • Thank you received: 29

6 months 2 days ago #266832

• redken
  • Thank you received: 402

That’s not good for SHU. Not because he was important this year, but he was needed for next year. I also believe he attended the Patrick School as well. That could ruffle some feathers with the power program.

We struggle to keep kids in the Tri-State area, but SHU really really struggles to keep talent in the Tri-State area, they don’t need that extra hurdle. I actually want SHU to be good for a long time.

As one poster on the SH Rivals board put it: "Enjoy next 20 games, its going to be back to irrelevancy after this."

6 months 2 days ago #266834

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 840
I find this surprising. Willard is a very good coach and I view SHU to be similar to Providence in terms of 'intangibles'--even better with NYC so close--so why can't The Hall recruit? Academic standards?

6 months 2 days ago #266836

• SJU14
  • Thank you received: 82

I find this surprising. Willard is a very good coach and I view SHU to be similar to Providence in terms of 'intangibles'--even better with NYC so close--so why can't The Hall recruit? Academic standards?

I don't believe Willard is a very good coach. They've had recent success due to one great recruiting year. He hasn't had any success outside of this group. He really isn't liked much by SHU fans either.

As for why they are having trouble recruiting, I think it was due to having one great class that are all graduating the same year. The same thing happened to us with Lavin's last two years. It is tough to recruit HS kids when you have a group of upperclassmen that are going to take up all of the playing time. Then there is an abundance of playing time when they graduate but kids know the team isn't going to be good because of that. That makes leveling out the classes all the more important for future recruiting.

6 months 2 days ago #266837

• SJU85
  • Thank you received: 130
Sounds like he wasn’t happy with playing time but wondering what he was expecting with that Senior laden and talented team.

6 months 2 days ago #266839

• Chicago Days
  • Thank you received: 840

I don't believe Willard is a very good coach. They've had recent success due to one great recruiting year. He hasn't had any success outside of this group. He really isn't liked much by SHU fans either.

As for why they are having trouble recruiting, I think it was due to having one great class that are all graduating the same year. The same thing happened to us with Lavin's last two years. It is tough to recruit HS kids when you have a group of upperclassmen that are going to take up all of the playing time. Then there is an abundance of playing time when they graduate but kids know the team isn't going to be good because of that. That makes leveling out the classes all the more important for future recruiting.

Willard is 137 - 104, a .568 winning percentage into 7 seasons at Seton Hall with over 20-win seasons in 3 of those years, and likely a 4th 20+ season this year--and potentially his best team to date. Not too shabby.
Ed Cooley has a modestly better coaching record at Providence--a .612 winning percentage into his 7th season there, but I posit that's because of his recruiting prowess. Which gets back to my original question: Why can't Seton Hall recruit 'consistently'?
But your point about having a senior-ladened team is bad for recruiting. I agree. Great point.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth