Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Around the Big East '17-18

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 2 days ago #288126

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 18318
  • Thank you received: 4434
The following user(s) said Thank You: panther2, richard A Steinfeld, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 2 days ago #288150

  • Tom in Salem
  • Tom in Salem's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5062
  • Thank you received: 218

Paultzman wrote: www.app.com/story/sports/college/2018/06...l-2018-19/693459002/


Finally a poll with Xavier near the bottom.
Still don't get the Vanillanova love.

WE ARE BETTER THAN DePAUL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WE ARE BETTER THAN DePAUL

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 2 days ago #288151

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2152
  • Thank you received: 1083

Tom in Salem wrote:

Paultzman wrote: www.app.com/story/sports/college/2018/06...l-2018-19/693459002/


Finally a poll with Xavier near the bottom.
Still don't get the Vanillanova love.


Well, Nova has a very solid recruiting class coming in, as well as Paschal and Booth returning, along with Grad Transfer Joe Cremo.
So, they won’t be a folding chair.
But, what I love is the recognition that with Heron, we have the best pieces ‘on paper’ heading into the 2018-19 season and should be in the top tier of the BEC.
Can’t wait for the season.
Let the games begin (with Mustapha!).
The following user(s) said Thank You: NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 2 days ago #288154

  • NCJohnnie
  • NCJohnnie's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 993
  • Thank you received: 966
Chicago Days wrote: Tom in Salem wrote:
Paultzman wrote: www.app.com/story/sports/college/2018/06...l-2018-19/693459002/

Finally a poll with Xavier near the bottom.
Still don't get the Vanillanova love.


Well, Nova has a very solid recruiting class coming in, as well as Paschal and Booth returning, along with Grad Transfer Joe Cremo.
So, they won’t be a folding chair.
But, what I love is the recognition that with Heron, we have the best pieces ‘on paper’ heading into the 2018-19 season and should be in the top tier of the BEC.
Can’t wait for the season.
Let the games begin (with Mustapha!).

Agree Chicago. Hard to pick against Nova. While they lost 4 of their best 5 players, they return a couple of starters, 3 solid role players and a very strong freshman class, plus the grad transfer. I'd have picked it pretty much the same way (with MH), except I would have had Butler fifth and see us and Marquette as very close. I make Hall, Xavier & Creighton pick em for 6 through 8. I expect PC to have a strong team despite losing the three seniors and would have them ahead of us if Heron can't play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 1 day ago #288177

  • Tom in Salem
  • Tom in Salem's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 5062
  • Thank you received: 218

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

WE ARE BETTER THAN DePAUL

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 1 day ago #288178

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 241
Really hope this exodus of good coaches doesn't continue very often. This was rarely a worry in the old conference. We already lost Stevens then Holtmann...then Mack and now possibly Wright within a few years. Does not bode well for the conference. Part of sustaining a winning culture, brand awareness, and major conference vibes is keeping your good coach. Imagine Boeheim leaving Cuse, Coach K leaving Duke, and Williams leaving UNC all within a handful of years. I love this conference but I fear this trend will continue since the huge football schools print their own money.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 1 day ago #288184

  • Room112
  • Room112's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 1390
  • Thank you received: 197

Mike Zaun wrote: Really hope this exodus of good coaches doesn't continue very often. This was rarely a worry in the old conference. We already lost Stevens then Holtmann...then Mack and now possibly Wright within a few years. Does not bode well for the conference. Part of sustaining a winning culture, brand awareness, and major conference vibes is keeping your good coach. Imagine Boeheim leaving Cuse, Coach K leaving Duke, and Williams leaving UNC all within a handful of years. I love this conference but I fear this trend will continue since the huge football schools print their own money.


I get what you're saying, but it's not like these coaches left for downgrades or later moves. Mack and Holtman left for elite teams with history of success. Stevens left for the NBA. Buzz Williams you could argue was a downgrade move.

We've also been fortunate to retain some of our name value like Wright and Cooley. Even Wojo I figured would have been gone by now. McDermott as well we've been lucky to keep. At least with Butler they seem to continue to make the right call with whoever they choosez not bringing in some retread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mike Zaun

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 1 day ago #288185

  • Mike Zaun
  • Mike Zaun's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 355
  • Thank you received: 241
Fair, but Holtman went to Ohio State not exactly a blue blood type school. Very good but not nearly as known for hoops. Since the Greg Oden years they haven't really made much of a national splash until last year. Could be wrong just speaking generally since I don't know their program that well.

It's important to keep your good coaches for a long period of time...Cuse with Boeheim connects a bridge with fans of several generations. You go to SJ games and you see the 60+ crowd and then the millennial crowd from the Lavin years still hoping. There's not much in between and that hurts the fanbase. You can make the argument that an entire generation of potential SJ fans has been lost. Having a major coach that stays helps the culture with stability and fan support. This was one of the big concerns when we split from the F5. Thus far, the financial gap is showing with losing top coaches, though the conference has held its own nationally with the F5 conferences on the court.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 1 day ago #288190

  • fordham96
  • fordham96's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 780
  • Thank you received: 446

Mike Zaun wrote: Fair, but Holtman went to Ohio State not exactly a blue blood type school. Very good but not nearly as known for hoops. Since the Greg Oden years they haven't really made much of a national splash until last year. Could be wrong just speaking generally since I don't know their program that well.


You would be wrong. From 2009 thru 2015 (After the Oden years) they went to the NCAA's every year-7 straight. From 2010 thru 2013, 4 year stretch, they won or shared 3 Big Ten regular season titles, finishing 2nd the other time, they won 3 Big 10 tourney titles, and from 2009 to 2013 they went to 5 straight Big 10 Tourney title games. Their NCAA seeding for that 4 year stretch from 2010 to 2013 was 2 seed, 1 seed, 2 seed, 2 seed. Went to at least the sweet 16 each of those 4 years, went to the Final Four in 2012 and Regional Final in 2013.

You could argue outside of maybe Michigan St (and it is close) Ohio St was the best Big 10 program for the better part of a decade under Thad Matta. That is a great job, with great resources and great recent history. You can't compare Butler to Ohio St. Not close.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Around the Big East '17-18 2 months 1 day ago #288192

  • gman
  • gman's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2939
  • Thank you received: 198

Mike Zaun wrote: Fair, but Holtman went to Ohio State not exactly a blue blood type school. Very good but not nearly as known for hoops. Since the Greg Oden years they haven't really made much of a national splash until last year. Could be wrong just speaking generally since I don't know their program that well. /quote]

OSU has the 2nd highest sports budget in the country and 9th highest revenue in basketball. They have unreal resources for all sports.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: mkras99SJUFAN2espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsOhioFanotisredmannorth