Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 3 months 1 day ago #285203

• Dan V
  • Thank you received: 80
Rutgers it is, should be a good player for them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 3 months 1 day ago #285206

• NCJohnnie
  • Thank you received: 975
Used to live not far from his high school. I hope thing work out well for him with Rutgers. Seems like he may be a very good pick up for them.

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 3 months 1 day ago #285215

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 4470

NCJohnnie wrote: Used to live not far from his high school. I hope thing work out well for him with Rutgers. Seems like he may be a very good pick up for them.

Tough program to turn around obviously, but Steve P works non stop
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days, Dan V

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 3 months 1 day ago #285225

• L J S A
  • Thank you received: 928

Paultzman wrote: Tough program to turn around obviously, but Steve P works non stop

Making a mental note of that, just in case.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, Dan V

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 3 months 1 day ago #285229

• fordham96
  • Thank you received: 456
Nice pick up. Rutgers fans need to have serious patience. Next year will probably be a last place season too with no Corey Sanders. But maybe by year 4 they make a move out of basement and year 5 they make a move to post season.

If you think that is slow take a look at Penn St and Pat Chambers. Seven years before he got PSU to a NIT. 7 freaking years. But now they got something. Even without Tony Carr they have a good team coming back. Pressure was there since year 4 to can him but they stayed with him. Rutgers needs to take the same path. Both places are tough sells in basketball. Need to be realistic with expectations.

Last edit: by fordham96.

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 2 months 4 weeks ago #285361

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 180

fordham96 wrote: Nice pick up. Rutgers fans need to have serious patience. Next year will probably be a last place season too with no Corey Sanders. But maybe by year 4 they make a move out of basement and year 5 they make a move to post season.

If you think that is slow take a look at Penn St and Pat Chambers. SIIX years before he got PSU to a NIT. 6 freaking years. But now they got something. Even without Tony Carr they have a good team coming back. Pressure was there since year 4 to can him but they stayed with him. Rutgers needs to take the same path. Both places are tough sells in basketball. Need to be realistic with expectations.

My son is a Penn State Alum so I followed Chambers and their team a little. Chambers has worked his tail off there. Recruits Philly heavy and has made serious inroads recruiting. The facilities (Bryce Jordan) are top notch. I would kill for SJU to have a building like that. The only thing holding PSU back a little may be enthusiasm for hoops but I even think the school is starting to catch on. Penn State is clearly football centric. Rutgers will eventually "compete" in basketball but as for football... uh good luck to them with that.

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 2 months 4 weeks ago #285369

• fordham96

sjc88 wrote:

fordham96 wrote: Nice pick up. Rutgers fans need to have serious patience. Next year will probably be a last place season too with no Corey Sanders. But maybe by year 4 they make a move out of basement and year 5 they make a move to post season.

If you think that is slow take a look at Penn St and Pat Chambers. SIIX years before he got PSU to a NIT. 6 freaking years. But now they got something. Even without Tony Carr they have a good team coming back. Pressure was there since year 4 to can him but they stayed with him. Rutgers needs to take the same path. Both places are tough sells in basketball. Need to be realistic with expectations.

My son is a Penn State Alum so I followed Chambers and their team a little. Chambers has worked his tail off there. Recruits Philly heavy and has made serious inroads recruiting. The facilities (Bryce Jordan) are top notch. I would kill for SJU to have a building like that. The only thing holding PSU back a little may be enthusiasm for hoops but I even think the school is starting to catch on. Penn State is clearly football centric. Rutgers will eventually "compete" in basketball but as for football... uh good luck to them with that.

Agreed but my larger point point is there is no way that Pat Chambers would survive here with that record. No way because our expectations are much higher as they should be. And let me correct myself, it took SEVEN years not 6 for him too get PSU to their first major post-season and that was an NIT bid. 7 freaking years and they just gave him an extension. Look at his first FOUR years, this board would have run him out of town. But that is the point, PSU knew and had realistic expectations and have stuck with him. Rutgers needs to take note.

Penn State Nittany Lions (Big Ten Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Penn State 12–20 4–14 T–11th
2012–13 Penn State 10–21 2–16 12th
2013–14 Penn State 16–18 6–12 T–10th CBI Quarterfinal
2014–15 Penn State 18–16 4–14 13th
2015–16 Penn State 16–16 7–11 10th
2016–17 Penn State 15–18 6–12 T–12th
2017–18 Penn State 26–13 9–9 T–6th NIT Champions
Penn State: 113–122 (.481) 38–88 (.302)
The following user(s) said Thank You: IDRAFT

Last edit: by fordham96.

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 2 months 4 weeks ago #285378

• sjc88
  • Thank you received: 180
I agree. Our expectations are higher (as they should be) for hoops as SJU is in a basketball conference and focused on basketball. I do think PSU being a "football" centric school helps them be more patient with "that other sport". Now if the football team goes 6-6 Franklin's seat gets hot and if he follows that up with 5-7 he would be gone... as in G-O-N-E. (Note: I am not a PSU fan. Heck, I like ND. They like many football schools have completely unrealistic expectations. We have nothing on these people. LOL)

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 2 months 4 weeks ago #285389

• austour
  • Thank you received: 272

fordham96 wrote:

sjc88 wrote:

Agreed but my larger point point is there is no way that Pat Chambers would survive here with that record. No way because our expectations are much higher as they should be. And let me correct myself, it took SEVEN years not 6 for him too get PSU to their first major post-season and that was an NIT bid. 7 freaking years and they just gave him an extension. Look at his first FOUR years, this board would have run him out of town. But that is the point, PSU knew and had realistic expectations and have stuck with him. Rutgers needs to take note.

Penn State Nittany Lions (Big Ten Conference) (2011–present)
2011–12 Penn State 12–20 4–14 T–11th
2012–13 Penn State 10–21 2–16 12th
2013–14 Penn State 16–18 6–12 T–10th CBI Quarterfinal
2014–15 Penn State 18–16 4–14 13th
2015–16 Penn State 16–16 7–11 10th
2016–17 Penn State 15–18 6–12 T–12th
2017–18 Penn State 26–13 9–9 T–6th NIT Champions
Penn State: 113–122 (.481) 38–88 (.302)

His first three years add up to almost exactly the present staffs cumulative record, both OOC (one less loss/game) and in conference. Coincidence? I think so.

Paul Mulcahy / Gill St. Bernard NJ 2 months 4 weeks ago #285394

• fordham96
And that Is why this year is SO important. A 4-14 season in year 4 for Mullin (What Chambers did at PSU) is going to cause so much angst within SJU hierarchy. Fan base will be ready to move on and management will be reluctant to make a change even after that type of season because he is Chris Mullin.

This needs to change FAST,,,

• Page:
Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2