Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258371

• jpm114
  • Thank you received: 47

stretch

Yup, sometime programs offer kids for sake of giving attention to their AAU programs. This may be one of them. Some of Lewis & Antoine's AAU teammates for example got a lot of St. John's attention with no intent to really pursue them. Happens frequently.

Paultz...a question for you Sloan is Steve Seymour's (long time college assistant at Drexel and Siena) son right?
The scenario that you describe above may indeed explain this offer. But as someone who's seen him a bit in game action his length and shooting ability are excellent and while he lacks strength and athleticism he mixes things up. He's not afraid to stick his nose in for a rebound. To me he's a borderline recruit at BE level who's better suited for high end mid majors (A-10 etc) but St. John's is seeing him in the summer where he has to compete with more athletic team mates for playing time and against better athletes to get noticed. Again you may be right but he's a good player and may be a puzzle fit at St. John's

JPM, do you see him as another Freudenberg? His three point shots are NBA range.

Jack if I may answer your question in a more general way, without the specific comparison to RF I hope that's ok. Guys like this are hard for me to evaluate because normally I try and be extra cautious about a kid's athleticism and quickness in determining what level he should play at. And those are the areas where Seymour struggles. That said, I am constantly told by coaches these days to get out of my "old school" "or "defense first" head and realize that the ability to stretch the floor with shooting often trumps defense for coaches. I thought RF would be better than what he was obviously and thought the early comparisons I'd heard to Kyle Sigler were good ones. Clearly though he was overwhelmed by the physicalness and quickness of the athletes he faced. I see him as similar to RF but maybe better prepared because of playing over here. With all the hype about the improvement of German basketball it's still not up to the level seen in France, Spain, Turkey or Italy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258381

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 4959
basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/eva...adipo-skills-academy

Prediction
"Will average over two 3-point jumpers per game during his career. Being recruited from the low-major realm and all the way up to the highest level, Seymour is one of the best perimeter shooters in high school ball. His skillset translates seamlessly into the college realm."

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258469

• gonzalo
  • Thank you received: 72

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258473

• SJU85
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 175

stretch

Yup, sometime programs offer kids for sake of giving attention to their AAU programs. This may be one of them. Some of Lewis & Antoine's AAU teammates for example got a lot of St. John's attention with no intent to really pursue them. Happens frequently.

Paultz...a question for you Sloan is Steve Seymour's (long time college assistant at Drexel and Siena) son right?
The scenario that you describe above may indeed explain this offer. But as someone who's seen him a bit in game action his length and shooting ability are excellent and while he lacks strength and athleticism he mixes things up. He's not afraid to stick his nose in for a rebound. To me he's a borderline recruit at BE level who's better suited for high end mid majors (A-10 etc) but St. John's is seeing him in the summer where he has to compete with more athletic team mates for playing time and against better athletes to get noticed. Again you may be right but he's a good player and may be a puzzle fit at St. John's

JPM, do you see him as another Freudenberg? His three point shots are NBA range.

Jack if I may answer your question in a more general way, without the specific comparison to RF I hope that's ok. Guys like this are hard for me to evaluate because normally I try and be extra cautious about a kid's athleticism and quickness in determining what level he should play at. And those are the areas where Seymour struggles. That said, I am constantly told by coaches these days to get out of my "old school" "or "defense first" head and realize that the ability to stretch the floor with shooting often trumps defense for coaches. I thought RF would be better than what he was obviously and thought the early comparisons I'd heard to Kyle Sigler were good ones. Clearly though he was overwhelmed by the physicalness and quickness of the athletes he faced. I see him as similar to RF but maybe better prepared because of playing over here. With all the hype about the improvement of German basketball it's still not up to the level seen in France, Spain, Turkey or Italy

"I am constantly told by coaches these days to get out of my "old school" "or "defense first" head and realize that the ability to stretch the floor with shooting often trumps defense for coaches".

This philosophy explains so much!!! :) :)

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258475

• usguard
  • Thank you received: 121

www.bigeastcoastbias.com/2017/7/24/16018...l-2018-sloan-seymour

Like what I see of his game shoots the 3 ball well mainly plays on the perimeter need to put on some muscle would not call him quick but has some moves down low with the right coaches his ceiling is high has good size may grow even more Worth the scholie

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258654

• Paultzman
  • Thank you received: 4959
Endless Motor Sports @endless_motor
18 wing Sloan Seymour (NY Rens) putting on shooting exhibition in 1st half v South Beach. Knocked down 7 triples in first stanza. #Fab48

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258657

• ghostzapper
  • Thank you received: 64
Really hard for me to give a very strong opinion based on just watching highlight videos of a player. That being said from what I can see on the video I really like Seymour's form, release and the depth of range of his shot. Although Freudenberg could make threes at times he did not have great form and did not shoot deep threes that really extended the defense.

The player that comes to mind from watching this video for me was Steve Novak. I think despite the fact that St. John's has had limited success recruiting these type of players in the past, Seymour looks like a player who could play a significant and unique role on this team moving forward.

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #258658

• RedStormNC
  • Thank you received: 331

Really hard for me to give a very strong opinion based on just watching highlight videos of a player. That being said from what I can see on the video I really like Seymour's form, release and the depth of range of his shot. Although Freudenberg could make threes at times he did not have great form and did not shoot deep threes that really extended the defense.

The player that comes to mind from watching this video for me was Steve Novak. I think despite the fact that St. John's has had limited success recruiting these type of players in the past, Seymour looks like a player who could play a significant and unique role on this team moving forward.

For the record Freud made only 7 3pt shots last year.... a whooping 7 (out of 35 = 20%)

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #259040

• stjohnnie75
  • stjohnnie75's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 14
Pat Lawless:

Sloan Seymour, a class of 2018 forward from Shaker HS (NY)/@NYRhoops, has picked up an offer from Pittsburgh.

Sloan Seymour - SF - Albany, NY 1 year 1 month ago #259043

• Sju grad 13
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 202
Does anybody know the state of the Pitt program since they left? Are they a threat on the national scene?

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2