Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 3 months 19 hours ago #285237

  • redmanwest
  • redmanwest's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 543
  • Thank you received: 86
Agree with most of that, but I am in no way anti-Mullin. I have said before that I would never support him being forced out under any circumstances. He's earned the right to choose his own course. I am comfortable in that feeling since I believe CM would leave on his own accord if he felt it was not working and the school needed to go in another direction. I don't think we'd find ourselves in a position like with Norm where he forces the school to take him out. He'd leave on his own. I agree that he's done a good job setting the course right, and now it is incremental improvement going forward. Each year he's been here, we've struggled to get better, but we have slowly but surely. I expect that to continue.

My main point is that a lot of the rationalization about roster imbalance is meant to cover over the fact that our certain but slow improvement has thus far not yielded consistent big man recruitment. But, it will come, IMHO.

Logen wrote:

redmanwest wrote: Yes, agreed, but it is still basketball. You still need guys who can shoot the ball, handle the ball, rebound, defend the post, etc. Call the players what you want, but there are still certain things that need to be done. A lot of what people are reacting to is that everyone (even the staff if reports form our most trusted posters are true) knew and wanted to go out and get more size. But whiffed 2 years in a row. So, the "Mullin don't play that" stuff is maybe true to an extent, but maybe also a rationalization due to the fact that you have to play with what you've got, so why gnash about what you don't have. Mullin and staff have actually expended an enormous amount of time and energy trying to get big men, so that sort of dispels the idea that Mullin somehow plays or wants to play a wholly different brand of basketball. Even those teams that are playing similar style as Mullin seems to like (e.g., Villanova) still have several serviceable big men. Basketball is basketball.

Logen wrote: Not sure why people are still hung up on “who’s the 4, who’s the 5, etc.” when it is clear Mullin does not employ the conventional approach to positions. Argue with the approach, but Mullin is not the only coach employing that strategy. He wants players not positions. Again, I can certainly understand disagreeing with the approach but it is proven you can win with this style. It, of course, remains to be seen if Mullin will.


I am not saying size that can play is not a good thing, of course it is. I am saying that size for size sake is not a good thing. Yes, the staff tried to recruit big players that could play and failed, I agree. Knock them for it, no problem. But recognize that SJU is not recruiting from a position of strength, many here don’t like hearing it, but that is the reality. I never once said the staff hasn’t tried or shouldn’t try to recruit big players. But they want big players who can play a quick, fluid game, not big players who just clog the middle. What I object to is what I consider to be the ridiculous narrative that this staff doesn’t recruit. I have never said this staff is perfect, far from it, but some of those “most trusted posters” were the ones preaching patience, patience, patience when Mullin was hired and some have turned pretty quickly from that. None of these “trusted posters” IMO acknowledge the historically, yes, historically inept, non-roster this staff inherited just three years . Again, I understand most don’t want to hear it but building a program from scratch is hard, it takes time and it took time for the best of the best to do it inheriting programs light years ahead of where we were. Somehow the “trusted posters” never acknowledge that perspective. Call me arrogant, call me whatever you want, I think Mullin and co. have done a pretty good job rebuilding this program from NOTHING to something in a short time. Now we need to keep improving year by year.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Sherman, Sheridan & Grant

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by redmanwest.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289594

  • Paultzman
  • Paultzman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Posts: 18333
  • Thank you received: 4470
The following user(s) said Thank You: L J S A, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289596

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2167
  • Thank you received: 1091
Seems like a great kid. Looking forward to watching him succeed.
DO it Marcellus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289598

  • Paul Massell
  • Paul Massell's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3902
  • Thank you received: 505
"workaholic" "fight down low" LOVE IT!

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289601

  • redmannorth
  • redmannorth's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 3175
  • Thank you received: 434
All three freshmen seem like outstanding young men with excellent attitudes. My wish is that they stick around for all 4 years and provide us with that deep senior group which we have only had in 2011 and 2015. Each time it worked out well for SJU.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paultzman, AlBovino, SJU85, JackofVirginia, Class of 72, L J S A, JohnnyFan, Chicago Days, NCJohnnie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289602

  • otis
  • otis's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2299
  • Thank you received: 182
You gotta admire he confidence Marcellus showed in himself when he passed up college football to turn his attention to basketball.

The kid is a winner..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andrew, Chicago Days

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289606

  • Chicago Days
  • Chicago Days's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2167
  • Thank you received: 1091

otis wrote: You gotta admire he confidence Marcellus showed in himself when he passed up college football to turn his attention to basketball.

The kid is a winner..


Agree Otis.
This kid is hungry.
He will succeed and it’ll be great to see him do that in a St. John’s uniform.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289607

  • fordham96
  • fordham96's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 785
  • Thank you received: 456

redmannorth wrote: All three freshmen seem like outstanding young men with excellent attitudes. My wish is that they stick around for all 4 years and provide us with that deep senior group which we have only had in 2011 and 2015. Each time it worked out well for SJU.


That's one way to look at it.

I prefer my recruits to excel at such a high level that a couple of them are good enough to leave early for the NBA. Villanova is the gold standard in the conference but keep in mind they lost 4 kids last year all non-seniors. And my guess is they will have a few more in the coming years and yet they still are the standard. That is the level to shoot for.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tom in Salem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by fordham96.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289613

  • Logen
  • Logen's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 2501
  • Thank you received: 381

fordham96 wrote:

redmannorth wrote: All three freshmen seem like outstanding young men with excellent attitudes. My wish is that they stick around for all 4 years and provide us with that deep senior group which we have only had in 2011 and 2015. Each time it worked out well for SJU.


That's one way to look at it.

I prefer my recruits to excel at such a high level that a couple of them are good enough to leave early for the NBA. Villanova is the gold standard in the conference but keep in mind they lost 4 kids last year all non-seniors. And my guess is they will have a few more in the coming years and yet they still are the standard. That is the level to shoot for.


Only took Jay Wright 17 seasons to get his “recruits to excel at such a high level”. And, only 15 to win a national championship. Like I’ve said, it takes time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlBovino, frank61

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ 1 month 2 weeks ago #289621

  • fordham96
  • fordham96's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Posts: 785
  • Thank you received: 456

Logen wrote:

fordham96 wrote:

redmannorth wrote: All three freshmen seem like outstanding young men with excellent attitudes. My wish is that they stick around for all 4 years and provide us with that deep senior group which we have only had in 2011 and 2015. Each time it worked out well for SJU.


That's one way to look at it.

I prefer my recruits to excel at such a high level that a couple of them are good enough to leave early for the NBA. Villanova is the gold standard in the conference but keep in mind they lost 4 kids last year all non-seniors. And my guess is they will have a few more in the coming years and yet they still are the standard. That is the level to shoot for.


Only took Jay Wright 17 seasons to get his “recruits to excel at such a high level”. And, only 15 to win a national championship. Like I’ve said, it takes time.


Dude seriously repeating the same nonsense over and over again does not make it more right or more interesting. You are equating winning a NC as the standard for success or turn around and that has NEVER been the argument. Jay Wright had success LONG before he won the title.

He had Nova at 11-5 in old BE and a 5 seed in the NCAAs and the sweet 16 in year 4 after 3 straight NIT's. By year 5 he was a no. 1 seed in the NCAA's and a co-BE regular season champion and Final 8. Kyle Lowry left early and is an NBA All Star. Went to NCAAs in 2007, 2008, 3 seed and Final 4 in 2009, 2 seed in 2010 and NCAAs for SEVENTH straight season in 2011 which makes 10 straight NCAAs or NIT's. That was BEFORE this 5 year run.

And you want to equate that "miserable" run to failing to have a winning record for 3 straight years?

Roy Wiiliams won 80% of his games at Kansas in 15 years yet never won a NC so that means he ultimately failed at Kansas?

The dominant success Bill Self has had at Kansas is unbelievable even though he has flamed out in the NCAAs a lot.

Winning the NC is not the standard anyone is holding Chris Mullin too that is nonsense. He was hired in 2015 after Jay had won back to back BE regular season titles and appeared to be developing the dominant program in the BE. He had not won a NC then, but he was already the standard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: espkengmanlawmanfankranmarsmkras99OhioFanotisredmannorthSJUFAN2