TRabinowitz Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Well, the sick joke continues. The staff keeping Marvin Clark in on defense with 4 fouls inside the final 15 seconds, and not only not doing offense-defense subbing with him but putting him towards the front of the press to give the foul and thus foul him out of the game, shows the total embarrassment that they have become and where the lack of experience absolutely kills us. Patrick Ewing came into his job with markedly more sideline experience than Mullin, and yet he had the wherewithal to hire former coach Louis Orr to have someone with head coaching reps. We hired 24 year old Greg St Jean with absolutely no coaching experience to his name (and this is not to blame St. Jean. Blame the guy who hired him.)

Hope everyone that is fed up with this lack of experience on the bench reaches out and tweets/emails Anton Goff and Bobby Gempesaw
SJU1512 Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Really hope the conference record is salvaged, even moderately, so that there isn’t negative momentum on multiple levels heading into the offseason. Year 4 is likely going to be challenging enough as it is, without a 4-14 last place finish in conference, current players feeling worn down mentally and physically, and poor perception of the state of the program in general and recruiting. Even finding a way to 5-6 wins can help alleviate some pressure and put a positive spin late on what would still be an ugly season and lack of a step forward overall.

On that point the main thing this changes in my view is the lack of any real margin for error in Year 4. Was always likely to be the critical year, but thought Mullin/staff could buy themselves some breathing room with a strong/exceed expectations year this year. They were on their way in the OOC but with the wheels coming off now, Year 4 basically has to be a massive improvement in total results and the NCAA. When you look at what other coaches in the same league as us are doing and have done, difficult to rationalize how anything short of that can be viewed as a success at that stage.

Still think this staff has at least the potential to get it done. This year’s shortcomings notwithstanding, they’ve improved the balance and depth of recruiting. There has at times been a noticeable improvement in tactical gameplanning, especially defensively, with ASU, SHU, and Creighton as standout examples. Although this is a double-edged sword in some ways, there does seem to be a lack of panic and an ability to take the long view, probably at least partially a result of job security Mullin has at SJU that others with his results to date might not, which can eliminate some of the rollercoaster, provide stability, and minimize rash decision-making.

The concerns not only remain but pretty much remain the same, which is a concern unto itself. Don’t understand why Mullin has been allowed to maintain this particular staff structure without change, specifically as it pertains to (1) game experience, and (2) recruiting. 2018 was marked as the year in terms of having the time to build a major HS class, and while I think it’s very solid and hopefully compliments a premier returning core of upperclassmen, I don’t know that it’s that. You can see looking at the team on the floor the way Ponds and Simon and Lovett (when healthy) impact the game, and I’m not sure we’ve added a player on that level, at least on paper, in close to 2 years now. And I really don’t understand the pro-style offense without pro personnel. SJU is one of if not the worst offensive teams in the league, driven in part by the fact that SJU is the worst 3pt shooting team in the conference and yet that seems to be a focal point of the offense (22 attempts per game, which is probably around 1/3 of total possessions). It's almost like they want to play like the Warriors without the ability to play like the Warriors, which I don't think makes a lot of sense.

At this point not sure those concerns are going anywhere, so question is likely going to be whether Mullin/staff can overcome those shortcomings in the aggregate and win. If they can great. Think we are going to find out next year.
ipd200 Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
The effort against Providence and DePaul were bad Depth is obviously an issue. However, I don't see why we can't win 7 or 8 BE games plus 1 in conference. I'm definitely not as optimistic as I was before, but DePaul is our only bad loss so far. Teams RPI is 50. It's still early January, and if we improve half as much as we did in the 2nd of last year we can still have a good year. Even with the depth issue we have more talent then we did last year.
MJDinkins Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
72 wrote
I said in some thread that Mullin was a victim in a conspiracy to end the Lavinwood era. Some may use the term stooge. Yes, he went along with a small group of villainous supporters and negotiated a contract as if he had a resume full of success and experience but the onus is on Oliva and Bobby G who fired a coach after an NCAA year and post season appearances in the 4 years he coached. That was arrogance! The icing on the cake for the Judases was the last minute change of heart by Isiah Briscoe. Ironically the man responsible for that was Slice who Mullin reached out to as soon as the ink was dry on his 6 year deal. That was the beginning of a bad marriage that included a prenup that the kids are paying for as we speak. To compound the poor decision making of the St. John's executives, Mullin, absent an AD, was given further rope to designate Mitch Richmond as assistant coach instead of finding an experienced candidate for what has become a very big void in the staff structure. Chris is our greatest player of all time and to put him in this position is on a few people that had personal agendas to destroy the previous coach. To see him suffer embarrassment on the sidelines pissed me off because we had better options that were never even contacted. Our reputation as a very poor and disloyal employer is not lost on the fraternity of coaches and we are exactly where we belong in the Big East because we are the arrogant and stubborn.

Couldn't have said it better '72. I believe the die was cast at the HOF breakfast to induct Mullin. Conspiring behind Lavin's back. Well sometimes you get what you deserve when you are not forthright.

I've stated before some made it personal with Lavin (a few on here are guilty of it). It was more than what Lavin was or wasn't doing on the court or on the recruiting trail. Some of it was true, while other parts were either exaggerated or fabricated to fit their own agendas.

Was it time to move past Lavin when it happened? Probably. Although, that's probably subjective to some folks. Regardless, some people continued to make things personal with Lavin, and, frankly, I think it had to do with those types feeling insecure or not having something fulfilling in their own lives.

We have little depth, but who do you blame? We play an undisciplined brand of ball, but who do you blame? Every player has the green light to shoot whenever or wherever they choose, but who do you blame? We've been lost lately on defense, but who do you blame? We hardly play any zone when it would better serve this group to play their share of zone, but who do you blame? Whenever we play zone, it looks somewhat raggedy.... But who do you blame? Outside the Nebraska game, another game or so, and a couple halves of basketball; this has been garbage basketball. Sandlot/street ball at its finest.

I feel bad for the kids on the team who has no direction from the suits on the sideline. There's still a long way before the end of the season, but I'd be surprised if this team wins 5 conference games. This sucks, as I want this program to badly win, but some folks may have it coming to 'em with their elitist and cowardly ways.

Are the chickens coming home to roost (rhetorical)?
Beast of the East Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
No matter what anyone thinks of Lavin as a coach, he did assemble a credible team of assistants, and if you remember, left money on the table, taking less than offered, to hire a quality staff. For anyone who gave NR all the credit for recruiting the senior Lavin inherited, they actually had more talent under Norm as juniors, when they had senior Anthony Mason Jr. Still, the best NR could do was squeak to an NIT bid and a first round horror show exit. Guys then gave Dunlap all the credit instead of Lavin. While there could be truth to Dunlap's share of the success, Lavin for his part hired a top notch bench assistant. Dunlap for his part, fell apart when Lavin was on sick leave, and nearly had a total mutiny on his hands. As hopeless as we thought things were when Lavin took over, Mullin would have to go 32-2 in the Big East just to equal Lavin's mediocrity.

Yea, its all old news, and its Friday, and nothing exciting about playing Villanova when you are 0-5 our of the gates.
RedStormNC Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I miss Durand Johnson, Ron Mvouika, Christian Jones & Felix Balamou
Spocky Ramone Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Ewing sitting on the scorers table just before.

Typical year 1 behavior for a hof player turned coach
It's all in the reflexes
Class of 72 Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
The Hoyas didn't win this game......we gave it to them!

Outrebounded by more than a baker's dozen with Govan playing 15 feet from the basket. Rebounding is about positioning and motivation. You teach that. You preach that. Not happening. I am sure some savant will find something positive with this loss but the redmen bus has no driver at present. Especially on the court where Justin Simon's numbers are deceiving. Could not run the offense and committed 4 critical turnovers with soft pressure defense by the Hoyas. This was not a huge blowout only because Gtown was atrocious except for rebounding.

At the end of the game I actually felt sorry for Chris Mullin. There was Lou, Bill Wennington, and some former players near our bench and I sense Chris was uterly embarrassed. He was literally speechless in the handshake line while Patrick was conciliatory. It was a sad sight. Never have I seen a staff in so over their heads and who needed help both in game preparation and on the sidelines. Norm Roberts had better help on the sidelines.

Some fans are sending ludicrous emails to the A.D. who had nothing to do with this dilemma. He is toothless in the process as the university sold its soul and basketball credibility when they allowed a few sociopaths to influence a rookie and naive president (I call him the agricultural economist) who had never been involved with elite sports or knowledgeable enough of our past follies in hiring the most talented staff possible.

Of course all of the current state of the program is not on the staff. Karma is playing a role and the usual St. John's bad luck is evident from the beginning of the season. We allowed Uconn, via surrogates, to poach a promising player. We have 3 kids not eligible taking up scholarships. We have the Marcus Lovett injury and subsequent misinformation regarding his status. That it took calls to his father, questions from the media and continued reassurances from medical staff just to get him to practice with his teammates is frustrating. Finally, watching two players make nothing but negative progress in Amar and Yakwe has destroyed any possibility of recovering for come backs when the starters are tired or in foul trouble. I would say "you can't make this stuff up" but you actually can and still be right. Again, both my wife and I felt horrible for Chris Mullin at the end of the game because his face said it all. No post game press conference needed.

http://www.thelakewoodscoop.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/tires-fall-off-bus.jpg

Sorry '72 not buying your pity party for Mullin. Why? Because he seems very stubborn and arrogant. We all begged him to bring in one or two warm bodies for depth for this season (grad transfers so as not to eat up precious scholarships) and now everyone can see how our lack of depth has hurt us. One of the bodies needn't have even been warm and it still would have helped us more than you know who. Many have been asking for an experienced assistant coach or coach to help with recruiting but Mullin sticks to his poorly constructed staff of his cronies. So extend your sympathy if you want but I'll save my sympathy for some of the kids on the team who deserve more support and direction from a head coach that might allow them a chance to play in the NCAA T a goal I am sure they all hoped to attain. You could probably hire a Hollywood actor to research a role as a head basketball coach and he would probably look the part better than Mullin in year 3 of doing the actual job. Would probably get better results too. How about Matt Damon maybe?

I said in some thread that Mullin was a victim in a conspiracy to end the Lavinwood era. Some may use the term stooge. Yes, he went along with a small group of villainous supporters and negotiated a contract as if he had a resume full of success and experience but the onus is on Oliva and Bobby G who fired a coach after an NCAA year and post season appearances in the 4 years he coached. That was arrogance! The icing on the cake for the Judases was the last minute change of heart by Isiah Briscoe. Ironically the man responsible for that was Slice who Mullin reached out to as soon as the ink was dry on his 6 year deal. That was the beginning of a bad marriage that included a prenup that the kids are paying for as we speak. To compound the poor decision making of the St. John's executives, Mullin, absent an AD, was given further rope to designate Mitch Richmond as assistant coach instead of finding an experienced candidate for what has become a very big void in the staff structure. Chris is our greatest player of all time and to put him in this position is on a few people that had personal agendas to destroy the previous coach. To see him suffer embarrassment on the sidelines pissed me off because we had better options that were never even contacted. Our reputation as a very poor and disloyal employer is not lost on the fraternity of coaches and we are exactly where we belong in the Big East because we are the arrogant and stubborn.
gman Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
The good thing about living in London is I just wake to the scores and don't have to watch these loses live...

I have always been in the thought process of we just need to get to 19 wins and make it to the NIT. I would have been happy with a 5 win improvement from last year and then the same next which which would put us in the NCAA> I think that died last night. Its tough to see another 9 wins on the schedule.

I think the staff looked at the long game and didn't want to just add bodies for this year. While I think that is the right call, they punted this year. Imagine how nice it would be have to have players like Dixon and Keita on the court this year. We would easily be 2-3 wins better just from the added depth. While I admire Amar's dedication, he should have been shown the door and his scholarship used more wisely this year.

The saddest part is how melancholy I am about the team. I went from as passionate a fan as you could find to barely caring about the outcomes of games. I have become the same way about the Mets. Its tough to care when you feel like the people who should really care (the school, coaches, owners, etc.) just don't seem to care that much.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.