Jaden Daly Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
http://dalydoseofhoops.blogspot.com/2017/11/simon-posts-double-double-ponds-goes.html

Admittedly not my best recap, but hopefully you enjoy it just as much.
Beast of the East Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
630 pm game starts are ridiculously hard for anyone to make. The most positive thing I can say about them is the 3 little boys in my section from Rockaway who are all in the 6-8 year old range were able to leave early and get home at a reasonable time. Shout out to the Belle Harbor contingent in my section. There are about 10 of them in all, all related to my knowledge, all great people and great fans. I hope the second grader aced his science test today.

As I'm sure everyone can see, Simon and Clark solidify this lineup. I think we will see Simon score more as he opens it up, but he lets the game come to him. Some nights he will nail 15 points or more, other night 5 or 6. HE showed he can rebound, and at 6'5" has a decent body to mix it up. Clarke is also a player and these 2 are miles ahead of what we lost.

Lovett, who did not score in the first half, poured in the most controlled outburst in the second half, nailing shot after shot without a single force. Relieved of ballhandling duties, Ponds and Lovett will likely become much more efficient players.

Simon made the most heads up play of the night, stumbling in the backcourt and close to getting tied up, he still managed to see teammates ahead of the field and flat on his stomach cooly delivered a great pass for a breakaway layup.

Ponds made the spectacular pass of the night, driving to the hoop on a breakaway to deliver a perfect behind the back pass to Lovett in the left corner for 3 that singed the nets.

Trimble looked like he belonged by nailing 8 first half points, and that can be a fantastic sign if he can show he is a more polished player than Ellison. He may not always be that hot, but when he was on the court there wasn't a steep dropoff which can be a tremendous asset during the season.

This squad just might adopt the motto "Everyone rebounds". There are no George Johnson's to carry the load, so everyone, guards, wings, forwards, even ball boys, must hit the boards hard .

Yea it was Central Connecticut, but it was clear Mullin went with his rotation longer than needed in order to build chemistry among his rotation players. It's starting to become clear that Yakwe and Amar will not be counted on for much except in foul trouble or injury. If Trimble can be that 7th man, then Amar and Yakwe will see little beyond spot duty to give the starters some rest.

There will be losses, but this squad may just prove to be as good or better than Lavin's last team.
TonyinFairfield Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I cannot go this game as I will be out of town. I'll also be out for Thursday night's game. Let me know if you are interested in my tickets. The only stipulation is that you will not sell them, as I am not looking to sell them now. Just buy me a hot dog at a game! ;)

Whoever is interested, please PM me and with your e-mail address, as I will e-mail you my tickets through my Johnnies Account.
RedStormNC Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Won by 25, but could have easily been 35+ if w/ had a defense.

Amar tried to use his legs to defend on the unbounds. Looked silly.

Yakwe is a ghost. I feel he's a goner after this season.
Chicago Days Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Great game against an overmatched opponent. SJU showed great athleticism (Simon, Ponds, Lovett) and court skills, but were sloppy. Too many throw-'em up shots, sloppy ball-handling on drives, and a few turnovers after steals killed me--but a good, energetic win.
SJU looked 'young' at times but a very fast team--for the most part.
Good start to the season.
Paultzman Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Zach B
Top 20 sophomore Nate Tabor form Long Island was a visitor for St. John's win tonight .#sjubb
Andrew Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Simon did a great job on defense. Held a kid who scored 22 points to 1 point. #14 was a tough match for us. Actually thought Yawke played him best. Good effort for most of the game. Should have our hands full with a big Nebraska team.
fun Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Paul Massell Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Many here said the D was better-I would say marginally at best.

The improvement that I saw was the guards pressuring their man and a lot of hands without fouling. For Lovett this goes into two games. The interior is still a marshmallow but that is less of a factor when the guards are pressuring their guys and getting hands on the ball for steals and deflections. This directly corresponds to our guys - Owens, Yakwe, Clark and Amar getting into foul trouble which they didn't.

CC also had some real speed and quickness from several players. We handled that well and turned them over and didn't get into foul trouble.

And my favorite moment was Trimble defending the post probably better than anyone we've seen in the past 3 seasons.
Chuck Norris once fought superman. The loser had to wear his underwear over his pants.

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.