• Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 423
JackofVirginia wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
JackofVirginia wrote:
Growing up in Maspeth, Queens I attended St. Stanislaw Elementary. I can't think of a decent St.Joseph nun in my 8 years there. They were old and frustrated, disliking boys and favoring females. Can't ever forget the day my eight grade teacher, Sister Albertina a 6' 2' monster, was asking each row catechism questions. After questioning seven rows she tells my last row if we don't answer correctly she will whack the hell out of us. Here I was prepared but shi...... in my pants .All these nuns should have been put out to pasture. Recently I received a request for donations to the St.Joseph's Retirement Fund. I'll leave it to you to figure how much I sent them. Thank God for the Marist Brothers in high school.
Another unbelievable story while I'm at it. My seventh grade weird teacher, Sister Stephanis would hold Variety Shows on Friday. As she called on one of my friends to be emcee I got his attention telling him I would give him five comic books not to have me perform in front of the class. Everything was going fine until he calls on Frank, a slow, quiet kid sitting in front of me. As expected Frank stands silently. Dumb Sister S.tells me to help Frank, so I start singing, Take me out to the ball game ....and of course Frank remains silent. Now dumb ass comes to me and insist I sing Oh Beautiful ........pinching my cheek and slapping my face after every word. To top this idiot's mentality she informs me I would not receive any hard Christmas candy at the after school Christmas party. And you wonder why I didn't donate?..

LoL Jack. I also grew up in Maspeth, Queens but on the other end right off Grand Avenue. I actually went to St. Adalbert's in Elmhurst. The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth weren't much different. Funny its a small world.

Most people don't realize how large Maspeth is.

Or you have probably been there if you have taken the LIE to Midtown as it cuts right through Maspeth

I grew up in area. I'm in Ridgewood and Bushwick a few times a week and drive through Maspeth on my way to and from the city. My Dad also lived there for the last 20 years of his life. I know Maspeth quite well. In fact, watching Son of Sam right now and recall that summer dating one of the bartender's from Wally's on Grand ave, who lived down in your part of Maspeth. You're probably way to young to remember Wally's. It was a hairy time in NYC

Wonder if the Maspeth movie is still there. Played baseball at Maurice Park in the Polock Alley area. I'm sure these have all changed. Have to go back to the old neighborhood for the last time on my next visit to N.Y.

Jack, Maspeth Movie is long gone. First it became a bingo hall. Now I don't know what it is but it is just a row of storefronts. In another post you mentioned Spartans. Spartans was actually used as a filming location for Goodfellas. The name Spartan was not used but they do a shot outside of the restaurant and it says something like Queens 1972. They use the inside area as where they whack Billy Bats after he calls the Pesci character a shoeshine boy. Spartans is gone now as well.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JackofVirginia

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259398

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3925
JackofVirginia wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
JackofVirginia wrote:
Growing up in Maspeth, Queens I attended St. Stanislaw Elementary. I can't think of a decent St.Joseph nun in my 8 years there. They were old and frustrated, disliking boys and favoring females. Can't ever forget the day my eight grade teacher, Sister Albertina a 6' 2' monster, was asking each row catechism questions. After questioning seven rows she tells my last row if we don't answer correctly she will whack the hell out of us. Here I was prepared but shi...... in my pants .All these nuns should have been put out to pasture. Recently I received a request for donations to the St.Joseph's Retirement Fund. I'll leave it to you to figure how much I sent them. Thank God for the Marist Brothers in high school.
Another unbelievable story while I'm at it. My seventh grade weird teacher, Sister Stephanis would hold Variety Shows on Friday. As she called on one of my friends to be emcee I got his attention telling him I would give him five comic books not to have me perform in front of the class. Everything was going fine until he calls on Frank, a slow, quiet kid sitting in front of me. As expected Frank stands silently. Dumb Sister S.tells me to help Frank, so I start singing, Take me out to the ball game ....and of course Frank remains silent. Now dumb ass comes to me and insist I sing Oh Beautiful ........pinching my cheek and slapping my face after every word. To top this idiot's mentality she informs me I would not receive any hard Christmas candy at the after school Christmas party. And you wonder why I didn't donate?..

LoL Jack. I also grew up in Maspeth, Queens but on the other end right off Grand Avenue. I actually went to St. Adalbert's in Elmhurst. The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth weren't much different. Funny its a small world.

Actually Monte I lived closer to St. Adleberts then St.Stans I grew up on 73rd street, not far from the gas tanks. Because I lived a mile away from school I received free bus transportation. Most of the time my brother and I would walk to school. Do you remember Ascension parish near Queens Blvd ? Played basketball there with their glass backboards. Had Spartan Restaurant on Grand Avenue sponsor our Queens Alliance team after the college season. Memories!

I don't remember Ascension. I was/am much more familiar with the parts of Maspeth that are closer to Ridgewood, as well as the industrial parts. Spartan restaurant sounds familiar, probably drove past it hundreds of times back then

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259399

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
JackofVirginia wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
JackofVirginia wrote:

Actually Monte I lived closer to St. Adleberts then St.Stans I grew up on 73rd street, not far from the gas tanks. Because I lived a mile away from school I received free bus transportation. Most of the time my brother and I would walk to school. Do you remember Ascension parish near Queens Blvd ? Played basketball there with their glass backboards. Had Spartan Restaurant on Grand Avenue sponsor our Queens Alliance team after the college season. Memories!

Also I know St. Stan's and that area well. Also Polack alley :)
Last Edit: 2 months 1 week ago by Monte.

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259419

• JackofVirginia
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 717
sjc88 wrote:
JackofVirginia wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
JackofVirginia wrote:

Or you have probably been there if you have taken the LIE to Midtown as it cuts right through Maspeth

I grew up in area. I'm in Ridgewood and Bushwick a few times a week and drive through Maspeth on my way to and from the city. My Dad also lived there for the last 20 years of his life. I know Maspeth quite well. In fact, watching Son of Sam right now and recall that summer dating one of the bartender's from Wally's on Grand ave, who lived down in your part of Maspeth. You're probably way to young to remember Wally's. It was a hairy time in NYC

Wonder if the Maspeth movie is still there. Played baseball at Maurice Park in the Polock Alley area. I'm sure these have all changed. Have to go back to the old neighborhood for the last time on my next visit to N.Y.

Jack, Maspeth Movie is long gone. First it became a bingo hall. Now I don't know what it is but it is just a row of storefronts. In another post you mentioned Spartans. Spartans was actually used as a filming location for Goodfellas. The name Spartan was not used but they do a shot outside of the restaurant and it says something like Queens 1972. They use the inside area as where they whack Billy Bats after he calls the Pesci character a shoeshine boy. Spartans is gone now as well.

Thanks for the info about Goodfellows. Peter Chahales was the owner of Spartan Restaurant and provided us with league and umpire fees. Was fortunate to receive Johnstown, PA minor league uniforms from the head N.Y. Giant baseball scout, Gene Bonnebeau. They actually looked like todays uniforms with dark tops and large numbers, unusual at the time since most were just white and grey. BTW, Mr. Bonnebeau was one of the nicest gentleman around baseball.

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259426

• sjc88
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
JackofVirginia wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
JackofVirginia wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
Monte wrote:
sjc88 wrote:
JackofVirginia wrote:

Thanks for the info about Goodfellows. Peter Chahales was the owner of Spartan Restaurant and provided us with league and umpire fees. Was fortunate to receive Johnstown, PA minor league uniforms from the head N.Y. Giant baseball scout, Gene Bonnebeau. They actually looked like todays uniforms with dark tops and large numbers, unusual at the time since most were just white and grey. BTW, Mr. Bonnebeau was one of the nicest gentleman around baseball.

Many people referred to Peter Chahales as the "Unofficial Mayor of Maspeth". I hadn't heard his name in ages. Its a small world

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259434

• kred
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 83
In the same vein, I work in Maspeth right now, in the industrial section right next to the new K bridge. Not familiar with those old time places you all mention, but eat at Iavarone deli all the time. Right off Grand Avenue.

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259440

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
kred wrote:
In the same vein, I work in Maspeth right now, in the industrial section right next to the new K bridge. Not familiar with those old time places you all mention, but eat at Iavarone deli all the time. Right off Grand Avenue.

Iavarone a staple. The first Iavarone butcher shop opened on Wilson Ave in Bushwick, right across from my Grandfather Pastry Shoppe. I'm going back to the 1920's. There's now a hipster restaurant in it's old location. The old Iavarone sign is still prominently displayed above the restaurant awning, as you can see.
Also here's a little Iavarone history FWIW:

theislandnow.com/news-98/iavarone-bros-f...celebrates-90-years/
IAVARONE-BUSHWICK2.jpg
The following user(s) said Thank You: sjc88

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259441

• sjc88
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
kred wrote:

KRed, is Rosa's Pizzeria still on 69th Street? If so, you should go get some Sicilian pizza. Oh man, if they still make the same with the sauce on the top of the cheese. Best Sicilian pizza ever. I keep telling my son next time I visit my mother we gotta get some Rosa Sicilian. Damn, I don't even know if its there but I miss it so.

STJ vs. SJU 2 months 1 week ago #259442

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
sjc88 wrote:
kred wrote:

KRed, is Rosa's Pizzeria still on 69th Street? If so, you should go get some Sicilian pizza. Oh man, if they still make the same with the sauce on the top of the cheese. Best Sicilian pizza ever. I keep telling my son next time I visit my mother we gotta get some Rosa Sicilian. Damn, I don't even know if its there but I miss it so.

Rosa's still there. Also on Fresh Pond Road and on Metropolitan Ave in Middle Village.
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds