STJ vs. SJU 1 week 12 hours ago #259343

• kred
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
Monte wrote:
BrookJersey Redmen wrote:
Monte

I grew up in Brooklyn and know all the different neighborhoods well from my part time job during high school and all of college delivering flowers, so I know Clinton Hill well. In the early to late 1970's that area was very rough. I think it has come back a long way since then like other areas, Ft. Green, Williamsburg, Bushwick.

Brooklyn is cooler than Manhattan to many people.

The good Sister's of St. Joseph, not as big on being disciplinarians as my nuns, the Sisters of (Show No) Mercy!

I went to elementary school from 64'-72'. When I was old enough(late 60's) I'd take the bus from Bushwick, where I grew up, down DeKalb Ave to school. I'd make the return trip home on the Lafayette Ave bus. Morning's were fine since I got on the bus right across the street from my house on DeKalb and Wilson. Afternoons, OTOH, were oftentimes an adventure as I waited on Lafayette and Washington. Boy have times changed.

And worse for those of us who took the subway. We were trapped. And many times stalled in the tunnel with no lights or air, And someone hanging over you to try and reach a strap. At least you could get off the bus and run :lol:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 11 hours ago #259344

• Sju grad 13
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 124
The abuse in this thread is serious. At St. Francis Prep, the worst thing I saw was a professor throw a book at a student.
Key

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 11 hours ago #259346

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3764
I have to say this, unlike so many others I had few bad experiences with the Sister's of St. Joe(elementary school), the Jesuit's(High School) and the Marist Bros(summer camp). And rest assured I was a handful for all of them. Sure I got the occasional whack in the back of the head for screwing around in class, etc, but it didn't phase me. I was more worried that my parents would be called, which they rarely were. No emotional scares, no bitterness, no bad memories. Not condoning their behavior, but that's how things were handled back then and I rolled with it.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 11 hours ago #259347

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3764
kred wrote:
Monte wrote:
BrookJersey Redmen wrote:
Monte

I grew up in Brooklyn and know all the different neighborhoods well from my part time job during high school and all of college delivering flowers, so I know Clinton Hill well. In the early to late 1970's that area was very rough. I think it has come back a long way since then like other areas, Ft. Green, Williamsburg, Bushwick.

Brooklyn is cooler than Manhattan to many people.

The good Sister's of St. Joseph, not as big on being disciplinarians as my nuns, the Sisters of (Show No) Mercy!

I went to elementary school from 64'-72'. When I was old enough(late 60's) I'd take the bus from Bushwick, where I grew up, down DeKalb Ave to school. I'd make the return trip home on the Lafayette Ave bus. Morning's were fine since I got on the bus right across the street from my house on DeKalb and Wilson. Afternoons, OTOH, were oftentimes an adventure as I waited on Lafayette and Washington. Boy have times changed.

And worse for those of us who took the subway. We were trapped. And many times stalled in the tunnel with no lights or air, And someone hanging over you to try and reach a strap. At least you could get off the bus and run :lol:

I could run, but I couldn't hide lol

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 9 hours ago #259352

• Paultzman
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15664
Sisters of Charity could torture with best of them. Those air tight bonnets they wore restricted air flow to brain I surmise. Worse than a head injury! :)

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 8 hours ago #259353

• mjmaherjr
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5863
All this abuse pales in comparison to the Norm years :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Redmen07, Knight

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 8 hours ago #259354

• thetux1
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 326
Vince McMahon used to run the WWF now it's the WWE because of the world wildlife federation. Going way back it was the WWWF, he should have left it at that

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 7 hours ago #259357

• RedStormNC
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 525
To me, both acronyms provide little value or identity. Even before STJ, SJU never gained any traction beyond the students who went there. I don't recall anyone referring to the school as SJU verbally, maybe just w/ informal writing.

If there is any brand strength, it's simply as "St. John's", locally or outside of tri-state. Living neR Charlotte, NC last few years, and no one has ever recognized the STJ bumper sticker i have, or shirts w/ same three letter logo.

When asked and I say "St. John's, they say "Oh yeah, in NYC right?"

If a co-worker or neighbor asked, what school I attended and I said "SJU or STJ", I'd get a blank stare.

That's why I like out old style font logo on the uniforms with full name. Classic look and easy to identify and not get mixed up with the MN school or the liberal arts school as they are even less known.
Last Edit: 1 week 7 hours ago by RedStormNC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 6 hours ago #259358

• sjc88
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 361
JackofVirginia wrote:
Growing up in Maspeth, Queens I attended St. Stanislaw Elementary. I can't think of a decent St.Joseph nun in my 8 years there. They were old and frustrated, disliking boys and favoring females. Can't ever forget the day my eight grade teacher, Sister Albertina a 6' 2' monster, was asking each row catechism questions. After questioning seven rows she tells my last row if we don't answer correctly she will whack the hell out of us. Here I was prepared but shi...... in my pants .All these nuns should have been put out to pasture. Recently I received a request for donations to the St.Joseph's Retirement Fund. I'll leave it to you to figure how much I sent them. Thank God for the Marist Brothers in high school.
Another unbelievable story while I'm at it. My seventh grade weird teacher, Sister Stephanis would hold Variety Shows on Friday. As she called on one of my friends to be emcee I got his attention telling him I would give him five comic books not to have me perform in front of the class. Everything was going fine until he calls on Frank, a slow, quiet kid sitting in front of me. As expected Frank stands silently. Dumb Sister S.tells me to help Frank, so I start singing, Take me out to the ball game ....and of course Frank remains silent. Now dumb ass comes to me and insist I sing Oh Beautiful ........pinching my cheek and slapping my face after every word. To top this idiot's mentality she informs me I would not receive any hard Christmas candy at the after school Christmas party. And you wonder why I didn't donate?..

LoL Jack. I also grew up in Maspeth, Queens but on the other end right off Grand Avenue. I actually went to St. Adalbert's in Elmhurst. The Sisters of the Holy Family of Nazareth weren't much different. Funny its a small world.
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds