Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: STJ vs. SJU

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259293

• austour
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1628
Red Lobsters?
There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists.The others are silly made up nonsense. But not yours. Yours is real.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell, mjmaherjr

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 1 day ago #259299

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5181
jerseyshorejohnny wrote:
St. John's College (Maryland) was founded in the late 17th Century

Average SAT score under "old" format is a bit over 1300/1800 (Reading and Math)

Very well thought of Liberal Arts College

They also have a campus in Santa Fe, and they are absolutely a phenomenal under the radar liberal arts school with an Ivy like student population studying things like the classics, etc.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 1 day ago #259303

• kred
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 79
austour wrote:
Paul Massell wrote:
austour wrote:
Paul Massell wrote:
austour wrote:
I can't believe you're being serious but if you are, St Joseph University of Philadelphia is a 160 year old school that plays in the Atlantic 10 conference and is ranked 189 on Forbes list.

St Johns of MN (#217) has been the primary other St Johns for a while but read something abut St Johns of MD (#215) recently too. Can't recall where.

St Johns in MD is actually one of the older schools in the US. Most of these older schools originally had a religious affiliation for example Harvard was Baptist. I may be mistaken but I think SJ(MD) was originally run by the Anglican Church and called something like Kings College. Ironically it is now a secular school with no religious affiliation

Outside of the Northeast and Northeast South (Florida), people recognize St John's University in NY but largely don't know any other schools in the NY area other than Columbia, NYU and Syracuse. People have heard of Cornell but a lot of them couldn't tell you where it was located and a lot of people don't know exactly where Syracuse is... The only people I've met familiar with the other St John's are academics that have heard of their Great Books program. And then some people from MN that know the other, other St Johns.

St Joes may be old and a fine school, but same applies. Doesn't have a well known brand outside of the local market. Fordham, Hofstra...etc same. Nothing wrong with just not shocking that someone for someone outside of Philadelphia to not be familiar with St Joes.

First, if you honestly believe that St Johns has a national profile close to Cornell or Syracuse I'll have some of what you're smoking, and pretty soon we may be able to buy it legally! ;)

Second, we're on a college basketball message board primarily focusing on the east. St Joesph's is a pretty well known basketball school and since we're supposedly fans of Northeast basketball, and talk about A10 basketball quite a bit, I find it funny that someone wouldn't know St Joes. They also of course are part of the Big 5 in Philadelphia which might have been discussed more than a few dozen times on the board, especially by some of our more Nova-Centric posters. I forget that there are some folks on the board who are young enough to not remember the team that finished the regular season undefeated and played in the elite 8 in 2004 (I assume the OP would have been about 13 back then). I also forget that there are some folks who are really just St Johns fans and not necessarily college hoops fans here as well. My apologies.

Too bad I can't smoke but what I said (not what you said) about Syracuse and Cornell is 100% true. People know Syracuse from hoops and football on TV but a lot of people outside of northeast have only a vague idea of where it is. Cornell not even close.

Big 5 is even less relevant if you are under 40 and outside of Philadelphia. When was the last time you heard the term even?

True, Ithaca ain't NYC but at least most people have heard of the school. No one out here has even heard of St Johns unless they remember the sweater game against John Thompson. More than 30 years ago so for most that's not even a distant memory, especially if they're not hoops fans. And with regards to Syracuse, yes they do play hoops and football (poorly) but what most folks know them for nationally is that they produce lots of sportscasters.

But the point is WE are hoops fans. If you don't know what the Big 5 is you're not a hoops fan.

And the Carrier Dome and 25,000 - 30,000 people.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 1 day ago #259305

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 156
St. John's MN has or had a legendary football coach and a great lower tier program.

St. John's MD and NM a bit of an alternative type liberal arts college.

There are even other St. John's colleges out there too; maybe one in the northwest?

St. Joseph's name is used in a number of colleges too, including a small one in downtown Bklyn that used to be just for women.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 1 day ago #259307

• Monte
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3764
BrookJersey Redmen wrote:
St. John's MN has or had a legendary football coach and a great lower tier program.

There are even other St. John's colleges out there too; maybe one in the northwest?

St. Joseph's name is used in a number of colleges too, including a small one in downtown Bklyn that used to be just for women.

I know St. Joe's in Brooklyn well. It's in Clinton Hill. I went to the now closed St. Angela Hall elementary school right across the street. There was a girl's high school attached, which always made going to school enjoyable. Especially in the warm weather when the high school girl's would sit out in the school yard and sun themselves. All three schools run by the good Sister's of St. Joseph. One of the more progressive(I hate using that word) orders of nuns around. In fact, I think they may have been the first order of nuns to go from the wearing the old habits to the newer ones which were less cumbersome and included skirts. When the elementary and High Schools closed, the college bought the buildings for the college. I think those buildings are now called "St. Angela Hall at St. Joseph's College". Some of the most beautiful old buildings that you'll ever see.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 1 day ago #259314

• Las Vegan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 83
Monte wrote:

I know St. Joe's in Brooklyn well. It's in Clinton Hill. I went to the now closed St. Angela Hall elementary school right across the street. There was a girl's high school attached, which always made going to school enjoyable. Especially in the warm weather when the high school girl's would sit out in the school yard and sun themselves. All three schools run by the good Sister's of St. Joseph. One of the more progressive(I hate using that word) orders of nuns around. In fact, I think they may have been the first order of nuns to go from the wearing the old habits to the newer ones which were less cumbersome and included skirts. When the elementary and High Schools closed, the college bought the buildings for the college. I think those buildings are now called "St. Angela Hall at St. Joseph's College". Some of the most beautiful old buildings that you'll ever see.

I experienced the Sisters of St. Joseph in elementary school, and while some were amazing at keeping order and teaching, with fifty kids in each class, others beat the boys like animals. As long as it wasn't you on the receiving end, it made for great entertainment and memories.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 16 hours ago #259327

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5181
Las Vegan wrote:
Monte wrote:

I experienced the Sisters of St. Joseph in elementary school, and while some were amazing at keeping order and teaching, with fifty kids in each class, others beat the boys like animals. As long as it wasn't you on the receiving end, it made for great entertainment and memories.

BEating kids senseless and keeping order in a classroom of 50 are not mutually exclusive. I've heard tales of such about sisters of st. joe's, and someone some of those very same nuns are beloved by former students.

On the subject of the sister's of st. joe's, they are a dirt poor order, with nuns approaching 90 or more still working in schools and living at or below the povertty line. Many that drive as a necessity drive 20+ year old cars, and live extremely frugally. Writing a donation check their way would help tremendously. They are in Brentwood.
Last Edit: 1 week 16 hours ago by Beast of the East.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Paul Massell

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 16 hours ago #259329

• Paul Massell
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2743
I went to both public and Catholic schools. I always hear the nun stories but I never saw nuns even close to hitting a kid even when I was in a Catholic boys' home (for troublemaker boys...) In the 1970s public schools still spanked kids and I can't remember ever hearing about that. Very different time/mentality. In 3rd grade my principal was legendary for a big wooden paddle that hung on his wall and he used several times during the school year. I witnessed him grab my two best friends by the hair and drag them about 200 yards to his office where they both got the paddle. (the sad/funny part is that I started the whole thing that got them in trouble and got off scott-free perhaps only because he had only two hands to yank little heads with - see "troublemaker") He was then later promoted to Superintendent of Schools for his awesome efforts at brutalizing little kids and he'd bring his paddle with him like an old West traveling judge, to different schools and dole out justice...
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”
Last Edit: 1 week 16 hours ago by Paul Massell.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 15 hours ago #259331

• Knight
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1028
I went to a public junior high schoo in Queens, and we had a social studies teacher that would hit the boys on the ass with a ruler when we got too unruly. Funniest thing is I saw him in the library at SJU when I was a sophomore. I said hello without flinching.
Time to create page: 0.445 seconds