Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: STJ vs. SJU

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259239

• BrookJersey Redmen
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 156
Forgive me if this came up before, but it galls me that we have to go with STJ and St. Joseph's University which I have nothing against gets to use SJU.

Let's face it, except for the Philly area and environs, nationally St. John's University has much bigger name recognition. Big East, NYC, more history and tradition, much larger student body and thus larger Alumni pool. More notable Alums.

Anyway, someone in the STJ marketing/legal department was asleep at the switch and didn't file their trademark papers.

STJ just doesn't say St. John's to me.

Again, apologize if this is a re-tread topic. It is a slow time of the year.

Wondering if anyone agrees with me that it was a shame to lose SJU to a St. Joe's.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259243

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5181
BrookJersey Redmen wrote:
Forgive me if this came up before, but it galls me that we have to go with STJ and St. Joseph's University which I have nothing against gets to use SJU.

Let's face it, except for the Philly area and environs, nationally St. John's University has much bigger name recognition. Big East, NYC, more history and tradition, much larger student body and thus larger Alumni pool. More notable Alums.

Anyway, someone in the STJ marketing/legal department was asleep at the switch and didn't file their trademark papers.

STJ just doesn't say St. John's to me.

Again, apologize if this is a re-tread topic. It is a slow time of the year.

Wondering if anyone agrees with me that it was a shame to lose SJU to a St. Joe's.

I think it had to do with internet domain registration. This has happened to a ton of organizations and corporations. So if my company was named Delta taxi, and I had registered Delta.com first, Delta airlines would have to buy that name from me. Nearly all larger organizations did this rather than wage legal battles, which they probably would have lost. St. Joe's got their first, and St. John's, rather than fork over a considerable sum to acquire the right, instead re-branded.

I would imagine that St. Joe's gets hits on their websites from folks looking for St. John's, which can't hurt them.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259244

• austour
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1628
Yeah, in the old days we paid a bucket load for Australia.com. 1-800-Downunder was a fair bit cheaper. :)
There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists.The others are silly made up nonsense. But not yours. Yours is real.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Beast of the East

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259245

• Beast of the East
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5181
austour wrote:
Yeah, in the old days we paid a bucket load for Australia.com. 1-800-Downunder was a fair bit cheaper. :)

I don't believe American Airlines did the same thing as Delta, and instead is aa.com

St. John's thinking was that the internet thing was a fad that may not catch on.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by Beast of the East.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259247

• Sju grad 13
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 124
I don't know what St.Joe is, but there's another St. John's in Maryland that's becoming pretty popular.

:lol: eventually we'll have to be like Howard and Hampton, and wear shirts that say the "real SJU".
Key

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259248

• austour
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1628
I can't believe you're being serious but if you are, St Joseph University of Philadelphia is a 160 year old school that plays in the Atlantic 10 conference and is ranked 189 on Forbes list.

St Johns of MN (#217) has been the primary other St Johns for a while but read something abut St Johns of MD (#215) recently too. Can't recall where.
There have been nearly 3000 Gods so far but only yours actually exists.The others are silly made up nonsense. But not yours. Yours is real.
Last Edit: 1 week 2 days ago by austour.

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259251

• jerseyshorejohnny
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1927
St. John's College (Maryland) was founded in the late 17th Century

Average SAT score under "old" format is a bit over 1300/1800 (Reading and Math)

Very well thought of Liberal Arts College

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259252

• Sju grad 13
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 124
austour wrote:
I can't believe you're being serious but if you are, St Joseph University of Philadelphia is a 160 year old school that plays in the Atlantic 10 conference and is ranked 189 on Forbes list.

St Johns of MN (#217) has been the primary other St Johns for a while but read something abut St Johns of MD (#215) recently too. Can't recall where.

Dude, I've said this before on this site. I'm not a New Yorker, I moved up here from N.C for some high school years and college. Pardon me for not being familiar with the Northeast college landscape. St.Joseph's isn't known out here in Willamston.
Key

STJ vs. SJU 1 week 2 days ago #259254

• Paul Massell
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2743
austour wrote:

St Johns in MD is actually one of the older schools in the US. Most of these older schools originally had a religious affiliation for example Harvard was Baptist. I may be mistaken but I think SJ(MD) was originally run by the Anglican Church and called something like Kings College. Ironically it is now a secular school with no religious affiliation

Outside of the Northeast and Northeast South (Florida), people recognize St John's University in NY but largely don't know any other schools in the NY area other than Columbia, NYU and Syracuse. People have heard of Cornell but a lot of them couldn't tell you where it was located and a lot of people don't know exactly where Syracuse is... The only people I've met familiar with the other St John's are academics that have heard of their Great Books program. And then some people from MN that know the other, other St Johns.

St Joes may be old and a fine school, but same applies. Doesn't have a well known brand outside of the local market. Fordham, Hofstra...etc same. Nothing wrong with just not shocking that someone for someone outside of Philadelphia to not be familiar with St Joes.
“If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.”
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds